Why become a member? ×

What 3 Bands Did You USED to Think Were Great?

Lowender

...but they just don't hold up for you?

For me...(except for a few songs in each case)

Earth Wind and Fire

I used to think they were so slick and funky. Now they seem kinda chessy and lame.

Steely Dan

All fine musicians but a lot of their the music in retrospect sounds contrived and stiff and the lyrics seemed forced. The singing is also not great.

Bela Fleck

Sorry, I know Victor is considered a god and he's the main reason I listened to them but after all is said and done I've come to two conclusions. One -- when Victor isn't doing his solo stuff, his ensemble playing isn't all that interesting. Plus there are few guys whose "tone" bothers me and he's one of them. (I think I just don't like the sound of Fodera's).

And the other thing is, I have to be honest with myself and accept the fact that I find the Banjo really annoying.

Edited by Lowender

I suppose this is all personal but I just cant listen to Metallica anymore I overdosed on them when I was in a cover band & now I just cant take in their music anymore. Old or new music.

Also ....if anyone quotes me they are a cheeky bunny and should have their nose tweeked :ph34r:

Edited by fumps

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1360334536' post='1968857']
I suppose this is all personal but I just cant listen to Metallica anymore I overdosed on them when I was in a cover band & now I just cant take in their music anymore.
[/quote]

Possibly also because - how should I put it - they're crap now... :rolleyes:

Sometimes you need a break from things...sometimes you just "grow out" of them.

I went through a long stretch in my teenage years thinking Nirvana and Green Day were wonderful. Then I gradually lost interest...and nowadays I wonder what on earth I saw in most of their stuff.

But the other one, I think, is probably Led Zeppelin. I've not had the same change of heart I did with the above two - I still like Zeppelin - I just think they're overrated.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360333328' post='1968821']
...but they just don't hold up for you?

For me...(except for a few songs in each case)

Earth Wind and Fire

I used to think they were so slick and funky. Now they seem kinda chessy and lame.

Steely Dan

All fine musicians but a lot of their the music in retrospect sounds contrived and stiff and the lyrics seemed forced. The singing is also not great.

Bela Fleck

Sorry, I know Victor is considered a god and he's the main reason I listened to them but after all is said and done I've come to two conclusions. One -- when Victor isn't doing his solo stuff, his ensemble playing isn't all that interesting. Plus there are few guys who "tone" bothers me and he's one of them. (I think I just don't like the sound of Fodera's).

And the other thing is, I have to be honest with myself and accept the fact that I find the Banjo really annoying.
[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this, it seems to be considered sacrilege to criticise Steely Dan and EWF. I find Steely Dan far too clinical, lacking the deep groove that gets me moving about.

Some of Victor's ensemble playing is great, I've only heard the earlier Bela Fleck stuff but I think his playing has developed since then. Agree about the banjo though :lol:

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360335417' post='1968880']
I've always liked the stuff I still listen to.
[/quote]

Me too, except I've always had ipeccable taste :P
Seriously though, it depends on age to some extent. Most bands have declined as they have gone on, no band can be an endless font of creativity. So band x that is still going now may genuinely not be the force it was when I first heard them 30 or more years ago. If I hear classic recordings from my fave bands now that I liked 30 years ago do I still like them? absolutely. The main reason I listen to those less often now is that I also want to discover new bands and there are only so many hours available to listen to stuff.

Edited by KevB

I'm another who still likes the bands I used to. I've had the pleasure of adding plenty more.

I certainly agree with the overrating of many of the (mostly metal) bands that others have mentioned, but then I've never really got hold of metal in a favourable way. I remember upsetting a guitarist once by not recognising a G&R track he had blaring out and commenting that if that band was playing in a pub I'd be in the bar.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1360335334' post='1968878']
As far as music is concerned, we all go through phases I think. Sometimes you just need a to take a holiday form a certain type of music or band.
[/quote]

True.

My musical holiday was a caravan park in Rhyl. It was raining.

Edited by Low End Bee

Rush. I went through a phase where I bought a load of stuff,but only liked a few songs per album....and the
more I listen to Neil Peart,the less I like him.
Red Hot Chili Peppers used to be great,but the totally jumped the shark with 'By The Way' and never
recovered,as far as I'm concerned. Up to and including 'Californication' has some great stuff though.

That's about it really.I might not listen to a band for a while,then I'll get back in to them again a few years
later.

Green Day - there's still quite a lot of their material that I enjoy for the energy or catchiness, but a lot that I've gone off in terms of lyrics.

Queen - not knocking them in any way but I just grew tired of them.

Slipknot - I liked them a lot but I can't think why. Enjoyable enough but nothing special IMO.

Saxon! Well i was in the nwobhm in a big way.
Iron maiden. Still have a huge amount of respect for them.
Free! When I was a kid , I had the Free story album.. Now I detest Paul Rogers voice and think he is overrated.

Truth is, there are probably a few more that I have forgotten about.( Faith no more,Groundhogs,Atomic Rooster,early G'nR )

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1360338663' post='1968978']
Rush. I went through a phase where I bought a load of stuff,but only liked a few songs per album....and the
more I listen to Neil Peart,the less I like him.
Red Hot Chili Peppers used to be great,but the totally jumped the shark with 'By The Way' and never
recovered,as far as I'm concerned. Up to and including 'Californication' has some great stuff though.

That's about it really.I might not listen to a band for a while,then I'll get back in to them again a few years
later.
[/quote]

Chilli peppers; saw them years ago on the positive mental octopus tour . Great! Bought the mothers milk album- returned it to hmv 2days later.
Have blood sugar/one hot min/ californication albums but never play them. The track cant stop is commercial crap at its worst.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1360334221' post='1968850']
I had a bit of a classic rock phase a few years ago.

Cream, Led Zeppelin and Bad Company. They All sound a bit over long and bombastic again to me. I haven't listended to any of them for a few years now.

Still partial to a bit of early Deep Purple though.

About the same for me . Very rarely buy classic rock magazine ( if i did it would be ipad version). Those bands &The Doors are always in there.
[/quote]

I used to think that Gerry & The Pacemakers were far better than The Beatles and that Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas version of Do You Want To Know A Secret was superior to the Fab Fours and that Freddie & The Dreamers could wipe the floor with The Kinks.

When i reached the age of eleven i realised that these three groups were maybe not as good as i once thought they were. :rolleyes: