Why become a member? ×

Of all musicians, I envy the ...

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359656560' post='1958409']
:D

I have just started trying to learn to play keys a little. Tommy Mars is greatly inspiring me, and I'm making a little progress with Gymnopedie 1
[/quote]

Had to google to check who Tommy Mars was - after listening to him play, I've gotta agree. Talented geezer.

Drummers always impress me just because it involves such physical dexterity. My Dad was a pro drummer and was keen for me to follow in his footsteps. Sadly I struggle with patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time so packed in drums and didn't try another instrument for years.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1359671207' post='1958736']...Sadly I struggle with patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time so packed in drums and didn't try another instrument for years.[/quote]

You'll find that teaching methods have improved since those days. It's more productive to start right off with drum-sticks. Patting your head etc. was found to not produce a decent 'disco' beat, and has been dropped. :rolleyes:

I wish I was a great Hammond B3 (and Leslie cab) player.

Mainly beacause it would mean I'd own a Hammond B3 (and leslie cab)...

EDIT: and singing... to have the range and style of Mike Patton would be fine with me,

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1359620517' post='1957533']
Nigel what have you got against Violas exactly?? :o
[/quote]

Can we do viola jokes too, former orchestral player (violin) so have a stock - as well as violin jokes for balance obviously.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1359708331' post='1958988']
Can we do viola jokes too, former orchestral player (violin) so have a stock - as well as violin jokes for balance obviously.
[/quote]

ahem

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198206-i-was-just-wondering"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198206-i-was-just-wondering[/url]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1359595185' post='1957424']

My parents were from the 40's, and met through war efforts and all. At the time, the latest rage was fur, in the form of mink coats, stoles, fox and such. We became a family of 10, and a large dog so, despite my Dad carving himself a fine career as an aircraft fitter, we were never what one would consider to be 'rich'. The family grew, of course, and grew up, and left the nest, until the old folks were on their own. Retirement came, and my old Dad decided, in his wisdom, to treat my Mum to something he knew she had always dreamed of: a fur coat.
I don't know the details (mink, rabbit, whatever...), but it surely was a real coat such as would have graced any silver screen post-war. My Mum was somewhat lost in it (she was never a tall lady; rather slight build...). She was, of course, delighted.
...but it's not the same, having something, or having something to dream about.

She now had the coat (and not any old coat, but a splendid fur coat...); however, she no longer had the dream.
My Dad admitted as much, some years later, that if it was to be done again, he'd not do it. It was, all things considered, better kept as a dream.[/quote]

That's deep, Pops.

For me, I would love the freedom of playing a soprano saxophone like one of the greats (Shorter, Branford Marsalis, Dave Liebman, Chris Potter etc etc). When I hear these guys weaving seamless lines all over their horn and all over the changes, I find the bass clumsy and lacking in finesse. I do like what I do but, sometimes, I wish I could fly like a Bird (I do own a soprano saxophone but, like many of us, the competing priorities deny me the opportuinty to really get into it like I should).

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1359709982' post='1959013']
ahem

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198206-i-was-just-wondering"]http://basschat.co.u...-just-wondering[/url]

[/quote]

Oooohh, potential thread to contribute to.

+1 re cellists, sighs nostalgically, those tours...

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1359699377' post='1958916']
It was top class, if you'd like a high quality recording of the gig, pm me with an email.

There are a lot of clips on youtube as well.
[/quote]

Wow! Thanks!
Yes, I'd love to hear that. PM on its way.

best,
bert

^^ That was extremely accurate and scientific, ET, and I concur. Having been around musicians all my life, the clarinet must be one of very few instruments I can't get along with. My best friend is a pro player, and my daughter had one for years, but I never could get myself to practise the thing seriously - which is rather special for me.

best,
bert

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1359592875' post='1957402']
What do you wish you could be brilliant at?
[/quote]

Everything.

The ones that i have planned for the future- Lead guitar, drums and keyboard.

After that, i might look into synth programming and stuff, trumpet, maybe some wood wind.

Beyond that, it's hard to say.