Why become a member? ×

Whose other half doesn't like it?

thinman

Do you ever get asked at home "Go on - play us a tune on your bass". I don't.

In fact, my wife can't stand the sound of it. Is that common or just me?

She doesn't listen to the band either. But that's not unusual.

However, she does drive my stuff home from gigs, load the car and hasn't complained about what I spend.

Edited by thinman

My fiance hates any of my basses thats sunburst. But i love sunburst. Otherwise she doesant really get bass, She knows its important to the song but cant really stand to hear it on its own without a band. Or maybe its because i cant play!

[quote name='ste_m3' post='202536' date='May 20 2008, 12:21 AM']Have you [i]seen[/i] what my fingers can do?

*gone*[/quote]

Hehe I was tempted to say that too :huh:

I once so a t-shirt which said "Yes I can do this with my fingers all night".

[url="http://www.cafepress.com/buy/bass/-/pv_design_details/pg_7/id_13172526/opt_/fpt_/c_666/"]http://www.cafepress.com/buy/bass/-/pv_des...pt_/fpt_/c_666/[/url]

There :)

Can't really claim to have an "other half" since me and my lady haven't been together that long in the grand scheme of things...but she's been to all but two of my gigs in the time we've known each other, and actively encourages me to go to practices and *shock* buy basses. She helped me set up and unwrap my new cabs.

I think she's a keeper :)

And i want that tshirt.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='202549' date='May 20 2008, 12:42 AM']Can't really claim to have an "other half" since me and my lady haven't been together that long in the grand scheme of things...but she's been to all but two of my gigs in the time we've known each other, and actively encourages me to go to practices and *shock* buy basses. She helped me set up and unwrap my new cabs.[/quote]
We all wish we were that lucky

My ex used to like it because she played guitar, we used to jam a little bit, was pretty cool. Also a couple of girls that like me (i know i know, can't get enough) keep asking me to teach them bass :) too bad i suck! haha

[quote name='budget bassist' post='202554' date='May 20 2008, 12:59 AM']We all wish we were that lucky

My ex used to like it because she played guitar, we used to jam a little bit, was pretty cool. Also a couple of girls that like me (i know i know, can't get enough) keep asking me to teach them bass :) too bad i suck! haha[/quote]

She's a drummer - think it helps :huh:

my girlfriend asked me last year to teach her electric guitar and seeing as i only know 3 chords it didn"t go down to well and she gave up within half an hour and has never picked one up since.
She fancys herself as a keyboard player but when i bought her one she hardley used it and said she was to busy ( it wasn"t with housework, thats for sure ).
getting back to the bass though, she doesn"t grumble at all, just lets me get on with it, i"ve just started going jamming and shes not bothered about that either so i should think myself lucky really. :)

My wife is awesome, she knows my bass playing is the biggest part of what makes me me and fully accepts and encourages it. She knows if im not playing i get grumpy and over the last ten years has learnd a great deal about basses too which is cool when she points out a p bass or whatever. She has strong opinions on the looks of certain basses, and adores my black sparkle ray and really loved my old green status sixer (boy do i miss that now!) she even encouraged me to buy my squier VMJ as she realised the bargain-ness and the great sound!
Def a good find, now if i could just find a case to fit her and fit a badass bridge and shed be spot on heh heh

[quote]My fiance hates any of my basses thats sunburst. But i love sunburst. Otherwise she doesant really get bass, She knows its important to the song but cant really stand to hear it on its own without a band. Or maybe its because i cant play![/quote]

Are you saying that she can't stand to listen to a bass, if the bass is sunburst?! I know that woman can be downright illogical at times but that is something else! :)

For many reasons I'm pretty sure my fiancee likes the bass, particularly when I'm playing it. Apparently I stick my pec's out when playing?

Mark

EDIT: Yes I'm sure it's my pec's... you dirty minded people

Edited by mcgraham

[quote name='gafbass02' post='202586' date='May 20 2008, 07:58 AM']My wife is awesome, she knows my bass playing is the biggest part of what makes me me and fully accepts and encourages it. She knows if im not playing i get grumpy and over the last ten years has learnd a great deal about basses too which is cool when she points out a p bass or whatever.[/quote]

sounds like you're as lucky as me !

girlfren (we're not married !) loves me having a bass and (small !) amp in the front room "cos it's part of you", and comes to as many of my gigs as she can. she also listens to music i've made on her ipod and reallt looks forward to my gigs.

she even bought me my new swr 2x12 for my birthday...i'm very lucky !

[i]and[/i] today's our 15th anniversary :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='202557' date='May 20 2008, 01:02 AM']hilarious laser noises[/quote]

Ahahahahaha.

I told my wife that I would like a Warwick Thumb for my birthday this year (40th) and she pressured and pressured me until I found one. She wouldn't let me get a BO either, 'cos she knew I really wanted an NT. We really can't afford it. She's awesome.

Collecting the NT tomorrow (thanks Pete)....

My fiancee is a singer/saxophonist/keyboard player/music student/festival organiser. She is encouraging and supportive of my protozoic bass playing. She also knows a lot of music theory, so I can ask stupid "why?" questions about music and actually get an answer/explanation. I am perpetually lucky. The only thing she objects to is when I leave all my bass bits/tools out in the spare room/living room/wherever when I'm working on something :)

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='gafbass02' post='202586' date='May 20 2008, 07:58 AM']My wife is awesome, Def a good find, now if i could just find a case to fit her and fit a badass bridge and shed be spot on heh heh[/quote]

:huh: :) :huh:

I was thinking of starting one of these topics. I’ve got a massive problem…I am constantly getting moaned at for music/band/bass related things that take time away from me hanging out with her. I get accused of purposely arranging band practise at a time which is inconvenient to her as she “might have wanted to do something” with me. Then I get moaned at because I’ve not told her long enough in advance about a gig next month or something and she throws a hissy. When I try to arrange practice sessions and gigs around what will suit her I then get accused of purposely changing stuff to annoy her so she can’t “plan” anything.
It’s not like I’m actually doing that much with the band at the moment – we practise on a Monday and Wednesday evening from 5 till 7, and that’s only because that’s the time we can practise for free. Were not even playing gigs yet cos it’s a completely new band – first gig on 10th June btw.
We’ve been together for about 2 years now so it’s not like she doesn’t know what I’m about because in that time I’ve played X number of gigs with about 4 different bands.
Not to mention the financial side of it…

moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan etc...

But apart from that she’s a great girl and loves me playing piano to her :)

My gf glazes over if I talk about bass but she's happy to watch me practice it and tries to come to as many gigs as poss. Not sure she understands why I have 4 electrics or why I want more tho...

She did encourage me first to buy the Eden Nemesis head and then to sell the it and buy Jamie's V-Type combo tho :)