Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Giving up, selling up!

paul j h

Really bad idea. By all means do what you want but you'll feel worse two months down the line when you'll miss playing your bass and don't have an amp play through. Get rid of one of your Roscoes and then surely you'll be pretty much close to getting a decent upright (I'm assuming this is what you meant, if you were after an acoustic guitar then you'd really be shooting yourself in the foot for no reason!).

Playing the bass is like joining the Mafia . Once you're in, that's it . If you are serious enough to already own a pair of Roscoes and an SWR rig then you will most likely want to get back to it sooner than you think . Don't do anything hasty .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1359395079' post='1954116']
Hi
I don't play in a band, six string fretless playing along to yourself/CD's is;nt going anywhere. I am going to buy an acoustic gu**ar and learn all the songs from my youth etc i am even going to take lessons. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]

Get your guitar, keep you favourite bass. Get some recording software for your computer and start writing and recording. Very little is more satisfying than doing this, you'll enjoy your bass again. Music should be fun really shouldn't it.

Hi
I don't play in a band, six string fretless playing along to yourself/CD's is;nt going anywhere. I am going to buy an acoustic gu**ar and learn all the songs from my youth etc i am even going to take lessons. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]

Thought about getting a fretted four string and joining a band for fun ?

Hi
[/quote]
[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359395492' post='1954122']
Get your guitar, keep you favourite bass. Get some recording software for your computer and start writing and recording. Very little is more satisfying than doing this, you'll enjoy your bass again. Music should be fun really shouldn't it.
[/quote]Enter the BC Recording compo every month - like I have singularly failed to manage for the last two months :blush:

If you`ve found the ideal bass for you - and they`re quite costly - sell everything else, but put one in a case, and keep it somewhere safe. I`ve sold my whole rig before, both on bass and guitar, then got a great opportunity to join a band, so had to then buy a shedload more. Unless you need the money, keep hold of one, you just never know when you might need/want it.

Thanks for all the replies Guys, i have thought this through, it has not been a hasty decision, its not about the money, i currently have £1600 towards my next project already. The Roscoe basses have just been listed in the for sale forum tonight if anyone is interested. Cheers Paul.

Hi
[/quote]

Oh man! I can understand selling up for an acoustic (upright) bass, that's what I thought you were talking about, but for god's sake don't sell two catastrophically expensive basses to pay for an acoustic that will cost the sum of both of them, it's really not a good idea! I love playing acoustic and I get by with one of two guitars, a Taylor dreadnaught style thing worth about £1000 or my Crafter at home that cost me less than £200.

Hopefully you can see what I'm getting at here, don't make a jerk reaction, change your circumstances like Nigel said and record some of your own music. Self-pity is a waste of time, you don't need it!

edit - just seen your last post. Fair enough, hope you don't regret your decision further down the line.

Edited by risingson

I've got a decent Electro Acoustic guitar & I played it quite a bit for the 1st year, it hardly gets played nowadays though. Whilst I'm a fairly competent guitar player (been playing for about 28 or so years), I don't rate it in the same league as being a bassist unless you can sing. Then it's a good backing instrument.
Wait a min, so is bass! :yarr:

I've been seriously contemplating selling all but my Ibby & going back to keys.
Been trying to put a band together (or join one), but it's proving to be a lot harder than any of the previous efforts just to find a decent couple of musicians.
So if it doesn't happen before Easter, I'm joining you.

I am going to buy an acoustic gu**ar and learn all the songs from my youth etc i am even going to take lessons. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]
Ugh - he's joined the dark side. Acoustic is ok for rattling along with people, but its not <i>a bass </i>is it

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1359397884' post='1954193']
Thanks for all the replies Guys, i have thought this through, it has not been a hasty decision, its not about the money, i currently have £1600 towards my next project already. The Roscoe basses have just been listed in the for sale forum tonight if anyone is interested. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]

So this thread is just advertise you have some gear for sale?

Or are you wanting a some serious input?

If the latter then I suggest being more proactive towards playing bass. Playing a sw***y instrument alone to CD's is definitely getting you no where. So why not join a band, covers/originals otherwise? and play bass in a more proactive way?
Or do as Silddx suggested.

if not then what is the point of this thread?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359390934' post='1954042']
Playing the bass is like joining the Mafia . Once you're in, that's it . If you are serious enough to already own a pair of Roscoes and an SWR rig then you will most likely want to get back to it sooner than you think . Don't do anything hasty .
[/quote]

Woah! Too right - you'll end up with a Fender's head in your bed one night in revenge if you're not careful!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1359403007' post='1954296']
So this thread is just advertise you have some gear for sale?

Or are you wanting a some serious input?

If the latter then I suggest being more proactive towards playing bass. Playing a sw***y instrument alone to CD's is definitely getting you no where. So why not join a band, covers/originals otherwise? and play bass in a more proactive way?
Or do as Silddx suggested.

if not then what is the point of this thread?
[/quote]

So sorry i wasted your time, i thought this was general discussion? I advertised the basses within the hour of posting this so don't really see your point and to date there are 21 posts

discussion yes. However you don't seem to be open with discussing this much further, and seemed to have made the decision before making this thread.

I guess I am asking why?

You haven't wasted my time though, I was ready to hopefully help someone decide if they should or shouldn't quit bass and possibly alternatives.

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1359404159' post='1954323']
I think we're all wasting words, this is a classified ad
[/quote]