Why become a member? ×

What's your CHEEKY bass?

Moos3h

You know the one...the bass you paid buttons for but totally shames your other basses?

Mine is this: an 'Oldfield' (who?) bass, called Mike. £40 from Gumtree and then £50 on replacement pickups and BOOM - it's bloody awesome. Needs a slight truss rod tweak at the moment but it's frankly astoundingly good for the cash and I wouldn't hesitate to gig it with no discernible difference in the punters' ears, I bet!

[IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/Moos3h/DBBB7F5C-3802-4D26-8146-5A07BCC6D772-1907-00000167758252D0.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/Moos3h/35CF2F27-F783-4FC5-A3DF-655996ABDDA3-1907-000001677BD0A93E.jpg[/IMG]

So, what's yours? And remember, pics or it didn't happen....!

I don't think any of my basses shame any of the others, they're all great instruments in their own right. However, if you're talking surprising performance considering the relative cost of the instrument, then I'd have to put my Yamaha BB450 up for consideration:

Cost me something like £50 to put together, and it is remarkably nice. Is it "better" than my RD Artist? No. Is my RD Artist more than a thousand pounds better than this? Erm... not so sure ;)

[IMG]http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h391/Mkul0/yamaha4string_zpsd3d5917d.jpg[/IMG]

2nd bass I ever bought Another Yam lol, they seem to be popular here, a BBG4 S2, a bit dinged up, its had various decorations, but cracking notes just fall out of it.. I love this one :)

Edited by Oopsdabassist

Great thread!

Mine is this lovely SGC Nanyo Bass Collection in Metallic Pink.
Great bass - cheap as chips, SGC Nanyo Bass Collection's are undervalued and with this being pink as well was a real bargain.
Plays well and sounds great.

Being pink surely this has to be the cheekiest???

Edited by bagsieblue

I love these - they growl and punch better than some of my way more expensive instruments
The right hand warlock was in pieces, missing bits and in need of a lot of tlc and cost me £50 with a hard case.
The ironbird in the middle cost me £60 iirc, and needed much tlc ( cheers Cosmo!)
The left hand warlock ( crackle finish) was a birthday present fromm wife to replace a similar one stolen in the 90's
These three gig loads with one of my bands, and always get complimented on their huge sound :)

[IMG]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w262/dudewheresmybass/E77357E2-FE91-465D-8482-A6841998CBAD-2792-00000356EE1A7981.jpg[/IMG]

It's about playing the odds I guess. Buying a £1k+ bass should do nothing if it doesn't reduce the odds of getting a stinker. At the really low end of the market, the risks of a lemon are higher but there's a real sense of satisfaction when you get a lot for not much money!

Not got it now, and it wasn`t really cheap, but I`d put my Squier CV 60s Preciscion in this - way more bass for the money than you would expect. Only got rid as both my bands favour white instruments, but good sound, and playability you wouldn`t believe.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1358965413' post='1947822']
Your public demand pics!
[/quote]
Fair enough :)
[IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/20130123_201003.jpg[/IMG]
OK so there is not much Squier left but its still an awesome Jazz suitable for any gig, I must uphold my fan boi MM image though ;)

my Cheeky bass is a Cheri bass made in korea with one of the nicest necks ive played,nice fit and finish
very easy to play and is fitted with a rather rough looking dimarzio i found misadvertised on ebay i think the whole thing bass & pickup cost £60 max

I have a 1984 Westone Thunder Jet bass that cost me £72. High mass bridge cost me £10 on eBay (original BBOT was a bit rough on my hand), secondhand SPB-3 cost £40. Sounds brilliant. A secondhand P-retro was the icing on the cake, though.

Peavey Milestone III, bought for £50 including soft case from Cash Converters Lewisham. Light weight, great balance, lovely neck, jazz-a-like sounds. This was my return to bass after a gap of a few decades. Bought a couple of "better" basses since (including a Fender Aerodyne jazz) and sold them again after realizing that they weren't any better than the Peavey. Now the only bass I own. Have no plans or desire for another.

My fretless (I'll be playing her tonight):
The neck was a £50? from CH guitars
Body - scrap found on ebay £15, routed out for jazz pickups and a bit of plywood stuck under the neck to pack out the joint.
Pickups - £10 of ebay from a scrap Lindo bass.
Scratch plate - a bit of old plywood.
It does have black knobs now, taken from a broken distortion pedal.
Other parts from my spares box.
Plays like a dream and gives me exactly the sound I was after.

Both of my main basses - fretless Jazz (well, Mighty Mite neck was nearly £100) made from bits of stuff, and my fretted MM/J has a 1980s Matsumoku neck from a P bass copy (free) and a £30 body. I paid £5 for the Artec SE2A from a fellow BCer and it's great. Plays better than it sounds, but still sounds pretty good.

Here's mine Antoria Jazz c.1975 off the bay for £100. Decided to take the poor black finish off and found out it was a mahogany butchers block. Still looks nice and with a Kiogon old stylee twin stack knob plate makes some really nice noises (obviously when somebody else is playing it) :D

[attachment=126005:Antoria Jazz 1975 05.JPG]