Why become a member? ×

JLS "Britain's Hardest Working Band"

Jayben

[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/jls-named-britains-hardestworking-band-of-the-year-for-second-time-consecutively-8434118.html"]http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/jls-named-britains-hardestworking-band-of-the-year-for-second-time-consecutively-8434118.html[/url]

[i]"JLS have been crowned Britain's hardest-working band in 2012 after headlining more major concerts than any other artists.[/i]

[i]The boy band performed 34 UK shows in the last year, securing the four-piece the title for the second year in a row."[/i]

What do we think of this then?

Seriously? I imagine they have a rough time, all those concerts, all those screaming kids. Signings, press releases, etc. That I imagine to be tough. BUT, I imagine they get very well looked after, plus, screaming kids and talking about yourself and how wonderful you are is a narcissists dream. they might be loving it and the quote is an OUTRAGE!

I had a good ole rant about this earlier on FB. Here's the cliff notes!! lol

[quote]
[color=#333333]It's an insult to uk musicians who work their arses off. JLS should be ashamed of themselves for accepting the award, that's my beef with them - but more so my anger is directed toward the buffoons who came up with and short listed this award in the first place. It's no wonder the industry is ****ed when this sort of b******t is churned out. It's not helping support what's left of a once thriving music industry that the rest of the world looked to for great talent. You don't even need that today it seems from this news story.[/color]
[color=#333333][/quote][/color]

Edited, as it was a bit of a pre-coffee rage first thing this morning!

I did more gigs than that in the first 3 months of 2012, but then I wasn't headlining, they weren't major concerts and I wouldn't expect that many thought to call us artists, either.

I don’t know JLS but good luck to them. This is only sales hype. It’s not important.
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]

Which one of them drives the van, how much of their own gear do they load in and out and whose floors are they sleeping on each night?

My vote goes to The Skints who seemed to barely stop touring throughout 2012, despite getting their van and all their gear nicked and only getting back on the road thanks to the generosity of their fans and a donation from Jagermeister.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1358522099' post='1940783']
Haredst working is debatable and clearly has not direct link to number of shows headlined. The correct headline would be;

[i]JLS have headlined more major concerts than any other artists in 2012[/i]
[/quote]

Which would still be incorrect - unless the few bands mentioned are the only ones that the 'award people' have ever heard of or listened to from underneath their rock. The headline should more likely be:

[i]JLS have headlined a relatively small amount of gigs but win the award for making us the most amount of money in comparison to any other artists in 2012.[/i]

Hmm...

It makes you wonder how little actual performances everyone else was doing to lose this award....However, after touring with a boy band, I can confirm; although the work is not hard it is laborious - Constant attention, interviews, appearances, expectations. So, I can imagine that it is harder work off stage for JLS than onstage.....

Perhaps the measure should be moved to 'media whoreness' as opposed to stage presence.....

It depends what you call major? I know guys (my Dad for one) that did over 150 gigs last year in (on average) 2000 seat venues and theatres, selling out
pretty much every one....that seems pretty major to me.
I did around 250 gigs last year-that's quite a lot.
Obviously if they are only counting arenas then the rest are relatively insignificant, I suppose.