Why become a member? ×

iPad recording and practicing apps

jackers

Hey all,

I've recently got myself an iPad and I am looking to get some apps and the appropriate peripherals to allow me to practice and do some basic recording.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend in terms of apps and bits of kit to connect my bass to the iPad.

Cheers

Edited by jackers

GarageBand is ok, tho you need an iRig or similar if you want to connect your bass up ... Quality with the iRig is ok but a little noisy.. hopefully they will keep on developing the software.
I use funkbox for an old school drum machine and hook that up to the amp.

There are lots of bass amp apps.. I've only tried the free ones and found them all to be a little noisey.

If you want to do it properly - it' starts to get expensive.

Alesis i/o dock.
http://www.alesis.com/iodock

http://www.maplin.co.uk/alesis-io-dock-588940?_$ja=kw:alesis+io+dock|cgn:Product%7c%7cTablets%7c%7cAlesis+io+dock%7c%7cN36nk|cgid:5107437269|tsid:45627|cn:Computing%7c%7cProduct|cid:112182149|lid:27306797839|mt:Broad|nw:search|crid:17384260709&gclid=CMaWmamR77QCFQ7LtAod4EMAGw

Recording wise, two very good apps, both about £35.00
If you want more virtual instruments.
Cubasis
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/ios_apps/cubasis.html

Or the Auria
http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria

Garry

I'm gonna follow this as I'm wanting to do the same.
The Korg Polysix app is 1/2 price until 31/01/13 (£10) & you can run this in other software on the iPad.
I'm also interested in the Akai iMPC. Anyone used it?

Edit to say: I see Behringer is fetching out a dock similar to the Alesis one

Edited by xgsjx

If you want to be able to 'do it properly' that Alesis doohicky isnt even close to as expensive as its going to get. The current "best of the best" interface for an iPad is the RME UCX. Incredible bit of kit, and way beyond what you need, being the only interface for an iPad currently that has 8 ins and outs (full USB2.0 complient connectivity in other words, all the rest dont), but it is what it is...

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1358427092' post='1938889']
In what way ?
Just curious.....

Garry
[/quote]

Probably just me, but it's more logical and user friendly. I did a course a few years ago to get to understand Cubase, and still couldn't after 3 months.

Logic and Garageband I picked up with no tuition, though I do use at Logic Pro at music college now.

Garagband is basically a much stripped down version of Logic, but it does share some of the same instruments and plugins. Also if you decided that you wanted to get into recording and production more, then you're able to easily transfer ideas from Garageband on your Ipad into Logic on a laptop or iMac.

Just me I guess, but it just makes more sense.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1358425017' post='1938825']
Cheers for the replies so far guys :)

Does anyone here use an iPad to practice? If so, what apps do you use?
[/quote]

I use Amplitube. Cheaper than a practice amp. I think mine was £11, plus I bought a couple of extra pedals for £2 each. And the iRig was £25 ish.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1358425017' post='1938825']
Cheers for the replies so far guys :)

Does anyone here use an iPad to practice? If so, what apps do you use?
[/quote]

Kind of... in that we normally film all our rehearsals via iPad, so we can take it outside and work out how well we did.

I have Garageband for noodling, but - as others have said - you will need an iRig or similiar to connect.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1358427449' post='1938901']
Probably just me, but it's more logical and user friendly. I did a course a few years ago to get to understand Cubase, and still couldn't after 3 months.

Logic and Garageband I picked up with no tuition, though I do use at Logic Pro at music college now.

Garagband is basically a much stripped down version of Logic, but it does share some of the same instruments. Also if you decided that you wanted to get into recording and production more, then you're able to easily transfer ideas from Garageband on your Ipad into Logic on a laptop or iMac.

Just me I guess, but it just makes more sense.
[/quote]

Sorry deleted my post....
I was talking about on the iPad [as OP]
Cubasis on iPad has a lot going for it [and you can transfer as well] much more Audio & Midi tracks than Garageband [now't wrong with Garageband]
With the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Apogee jam, there is no MIDI in and out.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Of course the RME UCX is great [ I did say [i]starts[/i] to get expensive regarding the Alesis] but you are talking about a lot more dosh, if you need the extra in's & outs. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Alesis does more than a good job for iPad for home recording and practise - and more importantly it's stable.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Garry[/font][/color]

Edited by lowdown

Another vote for Garageband and Appogee JAM. I think the JAM interface is more like £70+ but its a lot better than the iRig type of interfaces, worth paying a bit more if our serious about recording g and want the best signal to noise ratio.

For amps I prefer Ampkit. It has Ashdown and Trace Elliot rigs, and I feel it gives a more solid sound.

Line 6 also do a connector (Mobile In) that uses the 30 pin connection rather than going into the headphone socket like the iRig
£50ish so cheaper than the Apogee jam but does the same digital conversion. Just picked one up used for £35 so will let you know what it is like later this week. I will be using with Garageband primarily although also have the free Line 6 POD app but it unfortunately contains no bass amp models.