Why become a member? ×

Bass Height

aende

Me using equipment to hide lack of equipment, the answer gives itself.
On my forehead!

Seriously though, for me it depends on the bass.
My cricket bat for example is high up, and has a strap of its own that nobody may temper with. It's perfect right now.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357745364' post='1927691']
Between stomach and crotch. If there is a medical name for such a place, it escapes me. The height is determined by wrist position basically. Neither my left nor right hand should be at any awkward angles... The end result is quite similar to the position Geddy Lee uses. But that is where the similarities end.
[/quote]

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357745364' post='1927691']
Between stomach and crotch. If there is a medical name for such a place, it escapes me. The height is determined by wrist position basically. Neither my left nor right hand should be at any awkward angles...
[/quote]

^
This

However, I am need to be able to go slightly higher when I do my slap bass (Currently learning, playing very badly!)

Depends entirely on what style I'm using and what the image of the band I'm playing in is. What feels and looks right.

For the Terrortones where it's nearly all pick-driven leather-clad rock n roll, somewhere between crotch and knee.

For my covers band that's mostly finger-style and little bit higher.

For my previous band where nearly all the songs were played on fretless, chest-height.

I position my basses (P and J) so that the top of the top horn is between 1/2 and 1 inch below my belly button. This gives me a very comfortable wrist angle on both my wrists (I play fingerstyle exclusively now, when I played with a pick the bass was lower).

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1357742430' post='1927607']
Always a compromise between playability and rock 'n' roll. Hence I wear mine like this ..

[/quote]

Must say, being able playing your bass that low somewhat dispels any claims that you've got a huge..... :D