Why become a member? ×

Badass Bridge - worth the cash?

White Cloud

Hi folks. As a relative newbie here please forgive me if this subject has previously been debated.

On virtually every Fender bass I have ever owned since the early 80's I have installed a Leo Quan Badass bridge, believing it to significantly improve the overall dynamic response & tone of the instrument. Over the years however this has become an increasingly expensive mod. I believe now you are now looking on average at about £100 for one of these "bad boys" - almost a 1/4 of the price of a whole mex precision in some dealers!

I recently decided to buck my trend and after much deliberation fitted a Gotoh 201 bridge on a cheap Yamaha Attitude (P style bass)...with great success. For a princely fee of £30 I reckon the Gotoh made every bit as much of an improvement as the Badass. Slightly less "brightness" (to my ear) but every bit as good in every other respect.

My question is this...has my historical faith in the Badass as the ultimate replacement bridge simply been a kind of placebo affect? And is the Badass therefore really worth the value of 3 Gotoh 201's????

Bearing in mind the possability of a placebo its also got me wondering....is the badass even an improvement on stock pressed metal Fender bridges????

I have tried both high and low mass bridges.... and a lot of the time I don't think they make a massive difference. My preference is for the sound of the normal fender bridge rather than the more decoupled sound of a high mass bridge- but that's just my preference.
Where I think they are a massive upgrade is on cheaper basses - I stuck a high mass (badass sort of size/weight) on a friends squier PJ bass- it took a dull sounding bass and livened it up no end. On a already good sounding bass I think it's less of an upgrade.

I would say your probably right
In my opinion ive owned a few basses with them they dont seem to make alot of difference to tone
Dont get me wrong i like them and they have all the intonation adjustments you need i just personally now use fender vintage bridges as i like them just as much and there much cheaper

Over the years I believe we have come to the conclusion that a Fender Bent Bit Of Tin is just as good as any upgrade and any sonic improvement you may notice is purely imaginary. But please do get one for the look of the thing by all means. ;)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

Hi there,

Good question . . . . you'll see that I've posted on this subject in the past . . . . .

There is something about bad ass bridges that I really like . . . soon as I pick up a bass with a bad ass fitted I just feel familiar and comfortable with it. I guess historically Leo Quan was one of the first to market high mass bridge upgrades . . . . . but right from years ago there has always been much dispute about the audible benefits . . . . it seems logical that a higher mass bridge is going to be siugnificant . . but is it ? . . I always think I can hear the difference . . . but I know people who reckon it’s a waste of money . . . and that they don’t provide anything that you cant achieve by tweeking the EQ on your amp ? ? ? . . . . my argument to that is that I’m sure that a higher mass bridge must change or influence the way the whole body of the bass resonates in response to your playing . . which in turn must affect the tone / sound from your bass . . . how subtle or noticeable that is, is, I guess, the million dollar question ?

Bottom line . . . I like the look and feel of them . . . so I use them . . . . and feel happy with that ? . . . and I “think” they improve the tone of my bass . . . I think ?

As for vfm compared to the Gotoh 201 . . well . . like I said I like the look of the Leo Quan . . so I guess I'm happy to pay for it ?

I`ve tried both Baddass & Gotoh bridges on Precisions, and to my ears, they remove some of what the Precision is all about. the seemed to tighten the lows, and crisp the highs. Ss such, I think them ideal for Jazz basses, as they seem to compliment what a Jazz is about, but this effect detracts from a Precision, imo. That said, I`m sure I wouldn`t notice it in a band setting anyway, I`m talking about home practice volumes.

To the other question, is a Badass worth three times the cost of the Gotoh, in terms of usage as in setting intonation/saddle heights, no, the Gotohs are fine on these areas. In terms of looks, if you like that look then yes, as there`s no denying they do have a "look" about them. Personally though, a Fender BBOT gets my vote.

The Badass reputation is built on their bridge being the first, and for many years the only, alternative to Fender's BBT bridge.

Whether a high-mass bridge is an improvement from a tonal PoV is entirely subjective. Purely mechanically IMO most new high-mass bridges are improvements, so if you can hear an improvement in sound then any you like the look of should do the job.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1357303785' post='1920611']
In most cases a new pickup will be a lot cheaper, a lot tidier looking, and in nearly all cases will make the most dramatic tonal difference... Well, that or a fresh set of strings which will cost even less!
[/quote]

A lot of very interesting opinions and experiences being shared & expressed here.

The problem with pickup replacement is that it is labour intensive and expensive (unless you do it yourself)...and may spoil the sound if you buy the wrong one in experimentation.

Strings? I used to love Rotosound strings for many years, a fresh set fitted to a Fender or Rick bass being especially sublime - but this is probably the most cost intensive way to sound good. I liked the brightness & I found that after 2 gigs they were dull and after 3 they were spent...too costly for me.

Yes, the Badass looks great, was cleverly marketed (even the name of the damn thing is so cool)...but are they pricing themselves out of the market now - or does high price add to the desirability/placebo???

When i had my last HW-1 Jazz, and stopped using it i put the BAII bridge on my Squier CV Jazz for a whiel. I dont like the HM Squier bridges so that was the reason. When i sold the HW i put the bridge back on it and got a Gotoh 201 for the CV. I felt the Gotoh made a very, very small difference, in that the bass sounded a bit warmer, less sparkle i guess, but other than that no other difference. I do prefer the look of the Gotoh over the BA, so i have a 201 on both my basses now.

Yes, the BAII is over priced, but if you like it then i guess its worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357302863' post='1920590']
Hi folks. As a relative newbie here please forgive me if this subject has previously been debated.

On virtually every Fender bass I have ever owned since the early 80's I have installed a Leo Quan Badass bridge, believing it to significantly improve the overall dynamic response & tone of the instrument. Over the years however this has become an increasingly expensive mod. I believe now you are now looking on average at about £100 for one of these "bad boys" - almost a 1/4 of the price of a whole mex precision in some dealers!

I recently decided to buck my trend and after much deliberation fitted a Gotoh 201 bridge on a cheap Yamaha Attitude (P style bass)...with great success. For a princely fee of £30 I reckon the Gotoh made every bit as much of an improvement as the Badass. Slightly less "brightness" (to my ear) but every bit as good in every other respect.

My question is this...has my historical faith in the Badass as the ultimate replacement bridge simply been a kind of placebo affect? And is the Badass therefore really worth the value of 3 Gotoh 201's????

Bearing in mind the possability of a placebo its also got me wondering....is the badass even an improvement on stock pressed metal Fender bridges????
[/quote]

I don't think they make much difference, and when it makes a difference I am not sure the difference is necessarily for the better.

Not a fan, myself.

The biggest difference I made to a bass - a Shergold Marathon - was just making sure all the screws and bolts were really tight. The bass is a mechanical device first, and getting it all as rigid as possible gets more sustain from things not flexing uneccessarily. After that, fitting a Badass bridge (bought cheap from someone because it didn't fit their bass) made a decent difference. Again, more sustain and a slightly brighter tone.

I put one on a Squire Affinity P-Special a few years ago when they could still be had for a sensible price. Did it alongside an overhaul of the electrics so hard to quantify the difference the bridge alone made but I ended up with a much better bass.

Have a Gotoh 201 on another cheap bass and I think it made a difference there, I'd buy one over a Badass now based on price alone - I'm tempted to flip the Badass on eBay seeing the price they go for!

I was literally about to start a topic about these bridges? I don't understand why they are priced like that, how do they affect the sound, if at all?

Sorry may seem like a naive question.

P.S. I don't want to steal your topic but it's kind of related.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1360188139' post='1966540']
I was literally about to start a topic about these bridges? I don't understand why they are priced like that, how do they affect the sound, if at all?

Sorry may seem like a naive question.

P.S. I don't want to steal your topic but it's kind of related.
[/quote]

I paid around £35 brand new for mine a few years ago - a Badass 2 with the pre-slotted saddles. Whilst I think it improved my Squier, I wouldn't even have entertained one at the current prices. A Gotoh 201 or even a standard Fender type bridge will do just fine and won't cost the earth like the Badass suddenly seems to.

There's a Badass III on my Jazz. It came with it. I do quite like it and it's more robust then the BBOT. However, I wouldn't actually buy one and fit it.

I once bought a Fender HM bridge and put it on a MIM P. Made no difference at all sonically. Although it was easier to fit strings and was more adjustable.

I think my favourite bridge is the current HM bridge which comes fitted on US Standards. But there's nothing wrong with a BBOT. At least I've not owned a bass where a BBOT would be a problem.