Why become a member? ×

Basschat Cool-Wall

cloudburst

Sub Zero ! Providing you can cope with the ergonomics ( ie how it feels to play and how it hangs on a strap ect ) and you like the tightly focused sound ( I do) it's one of the all-time great basses . A Steinberger is the one bass I have never owned that still torments me to this day . Hopefully Pete Academy will be along soon to give you the lowdown , because I seem to remember he had one back in the day and he knows his stuff when it comes to basses . In the meantime here's how one sounds in the right hands :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qMAUSr8GaE[/media]

Edited by Dingus

[i]Sub zero:[/i]
Steinberger XL2's: They look fantastically purposeful and elegant. The ergonomics aren't to everyone's liking but the same could be said for the Lamborghini Muira and that didn't stop it being cool either. I'm in the process of building a rack for mine so I can mount it on the lounge wall and it really does look the business when lit properly.

Kubicki Ex-Factor: Incredible design and can be picked up for virtually pocket money right now. They didn't need to make a 5 with the fingerboard extension but if they did, I would have one.

Ibanez Roadstar/Roadster: Just well made, workhorse basses that are the equal of anything Fullerton produced from the same time period.

Aria SB basses: They look great, have superbly quick necks and the design still looks contemporary.

The Industrial Radio MIDI bass - incorporating an updated version of Steve Chick's fret sensing technology that was featured on the Valley Arts MB4, Peavey Cyberbase and MIDIbass, and the Wal Custom MIDI Bass. Lets hope it's everything it promises to be.

[i]Seriously uncool:[/i]
Alembic Series basses - just too many knobs and the design is fussy and the stereo electronics just aren't justified any more (I still own one though).

Doublenecks - Heavy, most of the time only one neck is being played anyway.

Anything with large fingerboard inlays - to me they look pretentious.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356894693' post='1914878']
Its one of those basses I would buy if I won the lottery, a tunnel with a 51 P bass hangin up at one end and everything there after in chronological order inc the steinberger, which would be the only one on a stand instead of a hanger I suppose, plan failed before it got started there :lol:
[/quote]

You could use the Steinberger to dig the tunnel with !

I owned an XL2 in the 80's and I consider it to be probably the best designed bass I ever owned. It took a bit of getting used to; the neck wasnt super friendly - but I loved the portability, reliability and overall sound. I recall it had a very distinct low end that suited what I was playing at the time.

If I had another chance (and cash) to buy one in good condition I would snap it up.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1356895737' post='1914897']
Personally I love the look and tone of them, but that doesn't stop them being seriously uncool. Lovely sound though! They'll probably come back into vogue soon though, weren't Fenders really out of fashion when they started making headlesses in the early 80's?
[/quote]

Fenders were uncool to the point of being only slightly higher in the bass pecking order than firewood in my experience of the early 80's. Its ironic today to look around and see so many young players who have the exact opposite opinion 30 yrs later.

Zon VB is, in my opionion, a far better all round bass than the XL2, especially from an ergonomic perspective (both seated and standing).

The XL2 is one of the few rare high end bases I've never fancied owning - and I like headless basses as well!

As Kiwi has mentioned, Kubickis are great value at the moment and the ergonomics of these are great :)

Sub zero in my book but then again my first L2 has now been with me for almost 30 years and I have three other L series 'Bergers as well so that pretty well nails my colours to the mast!

Seriously, Steinbergers have now gone through the full cycle of coolness from ultra hyped ultimate cool in the early '80s through to seriously uncool in the '90s. Ned Steinberger's design set a trend which went "viral" in the days before the internet but got so big so fast that it got lumped together with shoulder pads, crazy hair and all the other "fashion" trends of the '80s.

Back to basics, the design of the L2 had absolutely nothing to do with fashion and style and everything to do with functionality and fitness for purpose. In that respect, I believed in 1984 that it was the most completely realised, intelligent and ground breaking bass design ever and nothing has come along since to make me change my mind.
Over the years I've had all the jokes and the comments but what shuts them all up is the sound.

So, if you can dare to be different and can handle the pressure that will inevitably come your way, buy and use your XL2. Others can debate the look and the pros/ cons (and believe me, they will) and you can meantime quietly enjoy all the hidden benefits of using one of the absolute classic basses.

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1356947049' post='1915349']
Sub zero in my book but then again my first L2 has now been with me for almost 30 years and I have three other L series 'Bergers as well so that pretty well nails my colours to the mast!

Seriously, Steinbergers have now gone through the full cycle of coolness from ultra hyped ultimate cool in the early '80s through to seriously uncool in the '90s. Ned Steinberger's design set a trend which went "viral" in the days before the internet but got so big so fast that it got lumped together with shoulder pads, crazy hair and all the other "fashion" trends of the '80s.

Back to basics, the design of the L2 had absolutely nothing to do with fashion and style and everything to do with functionality and fitness for purpose. In that respect, I believed in 1984 that it was the most completely realised, intelligent and ground breaking bass design ever and nothing has come along since to make me change my mind.
Over the years I've had all the jokes and the comments but what shuts them all up is the sound.

So, if you can dare to be different and can handle the pressure that will inevitably come your way, buy and use your XL2. Others can debate the look and the pros/ cons (and believe me, they will) and you can meantime quietly enjoy all the hidden benefits of using one of the absolute classic basses.

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]

All that and more.

P

Get the steinberger! Not only will you be able to slap( if thats your thing), you will have more room when gigging in small venues.
Plus , you wont poke Mr.Drums eye out.
The sound is top drawer, and transport is never an issue.
Oh, did i mention that its rare ?,)

Btw; where are the kubickis? Havent seen any for sale for a while now.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1356895093' post='1914889']
Doublenecks - Heavy, most of the time only one neck is being played anyway.[/quote]

[b][i]Most[/i][/b] of the time? :huh: :D

I like the Steinbergers, but then again the Status series II is kind of a Steinberger with wooden wings... But on big guys like myself, those small bodies look slightly ridiculous :(