Why become a member? ×

chocolate starfish in the pub.....

bassintheface

I'm struggling to see why anybody would think that any band would need[b] three guitarists[/b]! :blink: Surely if the guys ego was so big, he would prefer to be the only guitarist in the band? Then all eyes would be on him when he delivers his solo masterclass!

I'd also be pointing out that if he was so good, how come his band haven't played Wembley yet?

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1356006084' post='1905533']
I'm struggling to see why anybody would think that any band would need[b] three guitarists[/b]! :blink: Surely if the guys ego was so big, he would prefer to be the only guitarist in the band? Then all eyes would be on him when he delivers his solo masterclass!

I'd also be pointing out that if he was so good, how come his band haven't played Wembley yet?
[/quote]

It works pretty well for Lynyrd Skynyrd... and my own band, Sea Bass Kid ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1356006233' post='1905537']

It works pretty well for Lynyrd Skynyrd... and my own band, Sea Bass Kid ;)
[/quote]

Indeed. It's for the individual to decide what their band comprises of, who is 'good' enough to play in 'their' band, what their market is and what gigs they play.

Was the pub the OP playing in a pub that the guitarist regularly played and had an appreciative audience? The type of audience who like 3 guitarist bands complete with playing behind their head tricks.

There is no 'better', or 'best', there is only 'what the audience want'.

Big corporate events organisers want safe bands, who play a certain setlist, to a certain standard, dress in a certain way, to a 'fairly' sober audience who've paid a lot of money for a meal and music to dance to.

Pub bands don't.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1355936323' post='1904788']
At risk of getting a kicking I read it as scene setting, I expect the frankness with it was delivered may (and I hesitate here) just may have triggered the deepest, darkest twinges of jealousy in some at the op's achievements, even if only slightly and very deep down.

And yeah, we've all met that guy.
As an aside, There seems to be a real snappiness on here lately, the camaraderie of old is fading a little, maybe as the site grows and matures, either way as an old hand who feels less and less inclined to join in it makes me feel uncomfortable, seeking out or pursuing confrontation was never our bag guys. It just wasn't. Now it's commonplace. :-(

My problem I know, just thought I'd drop it in there.
I even read a sly dig at my own ability in a recent thread i posted in, (one with subject matter i normally avoid because of the types of folks it attracts, i was silly to post!) I typed and then deleted about three measured responses before deciding to just ignore.

Anyhow. Happy christmas
[/quote]
:D :D :D
Luv you.....the best post ever
:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1356020622' post='1905860']
Shucks. Thanks boss :)
I edit lots before posting, I just try to make sure people aren't going to be upset or hurt or offended when I hit post.
We're all on the same team after all. :)
[/quote]
Yes mate your post was like a drink of cold water ......and has restored my faith in BC
:drinks: :drinks:

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1355936323' post='1904788']
There seems to be a real snappiness on here lately...[/quote]

Oh no there bloody isn't. :huh: ... ;)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1356017940' post='1905794']
...I'm stuggling to see how this topic has got to 130 posts![/quote]

It's people like you and me refusing to ignore it until it goes away.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1356017940' post='1905794']
WTBWITW I'm stuggling to see how this topic has got to 130 posts!
[/quote]

Anyone who starts a strong 10 paragraph post is gong to get plenty of replies. There's a section in off topic about Rants. If you go off on one there's bound to people who disagree.

The more info you put in a post, the more you leave out. The best posts are ones that have been carefully considered before anyone starts typing. Otherwise, as been said, you write stuff, delete stuff, edit stuff, then give up and delete everything and bring nothing to the table.

We could have all agreed 100% with the OP and given him and ourselves a nice warm fluffy Christmas feeling inside.

But we didn't. I don't think anyone has been nasty about it though, have they?

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1356018546' post='1905807']
Eh?
[/quote]

You see, Lynyrd Skynyrd haven't been a band for a while now, so when talking about them, you should always use past tense. It doesn't work for Lynyrad Skynyrd, because nothing does, although a lot of things [i]worked [/i]for them.

Merry [s]christmas[/s] end of the world :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1356028743' post='1906043']
You see, Lynyrd Skynyrd haven't been a band for a while now, so when talking about them, you should always use past tense. It doesn't work for Lynyrad Skynyrd, because nothing does, although a lot of things [i]worked [/i]for them.

Merry [s]christmas[/s] end of the world :D
[/quote]
[color=#222222]Sorry to contradict you pal but lynyrd skynyrd do still indeed exist as a band – still putting out records and touring and everything! [/color]
[color=#222222][/color]
[color=#222222][url="http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/35421699/Last-Of-A-Dyin-Breed/Product.html?searchstring=lynyrd+skynyrd&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7blynyrd+skynyrd%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b"][color="#0000ff"]http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/35421699/Last-Of-A-Dyin-Breed/Product.html?searchstring=lynyrd+skynyrd&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7blynyrd+skynyrd%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b[/color][/url][/color]

[color=#222222]Whether this is actually a good thing is another discussion!![/color]

Went to see them on their last tour, and they were a very, very good live band. Only Gary Rossington left of the original lineup (possibly Ricky Medlocke, too, depending on your definition of 'original'), but a great band still.

EDIT: Just checked, and they have 25 ex-members of the band, and they're on their seventh bassist... :shok:

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1356029710' post='1906053']

[color=#222222]Sorry to contradict you pal but lynyrd skynyrd do still indeed exist as a band – still putting out records and touring and everything! [/color]
[color=#222222][/color]
[color=#222222][url="http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/35421699/Last-Of-A-Dyin-Breed/Product.html?searchstring=lynyrd+skynyrd&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7blynyrd+skynyrd%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b"][color="#0000ff"]http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/35421699/Last-Of-A-Dyin-Breed/Product.html?searchstring=lynyrd+skynyrd&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7blynyrd+skynyrd%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b[/color][/url][/color]

[color=#222222]Whether this is actually a good thing is another discussion!![/color]
[/quote]for sure they had a new album out this year, classic rock did a special package/magazine version too, they are in my last but one issue of power play magazine too, one of the best mags in Europe for metal Aor classic rock etc, kerrang is a waste of time now

[quote name='Tuono' timestamp='1356033019' post='1906113']
I am not very good and just play in a pub band but at least I have more sense than to pester people in a good band.
[/quote]
It's not always a bad thing. When I was a kid working in a guitar shop, the chaps at work finally convinced me I was good enough to join a proper band. They said I was much better than the Bassist in my favourite local band who I was banging on about because I had gone to see them the week before. One day I saw the lead Guitarist and said to him that I play Bass, would he be interested in me? He said he already had a Bassist so I just said that if he ever found himself in need of one, let me know. They rehearsed in a place about 100 yards from where I lived so, a couple of weeks later I decided to go have a listen through the window, something my brother and I often did there when rock bands were rehearsing. I was just knocking around outside the building when the Guitarist saw me. They had sacked the Bassist and he told me to go grab my stuff. They liked me and I got into my first proper band! But then, I was rather more subtle than the twerp in the OP.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1356029710' post='1906053']
Sorry to contradict you pal but lynyrd skynyrd do still indeed exist as a band – still putting out records and touring and everything!

[url="http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/35421699/Last-Of-A-Dyin-Breed/Product.html?searchstring=lynyrd+skynyrd&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7blynyrd+skynyrd%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b"][color=#0000ff]http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/35421699/Last-Of-A-Dyin-Breed/Product.html?searchstring=lynyrd+skynyrd&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7blynyrd+skynyrd%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b[/color][/url]

Whether this is actually a good thing is another discussion!!
[/quote]

Why oh why had i not heard of this?

Didn't quite a few of the original band members die in a plane crash? Musically, i like them, but lyrically... it's gets a bit too 'texas' for my liking.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1356023353' post='1905935']
Anyone who starts a strong 10 paragraph post is gong to get plenty of replies. There's a section in off topic about Rants. If you go off on one there's bound to people who disagree.

The more info you put in a post, the more you leave out. The best posts are ones that have been carefully considered before anyone starts typing. Otherwise, as been said, you write stuff, delete stuff, edit stuff, then give up and delete everything and bring nothing to the table.

We could have all agreed 100% with the OP and given him and ourselves a nice warm fluffy Christmas feeling inside.

But we didn't. I don't think anyone has been nasty about it though, have they?
[/quote]

If the world was not going to end tomorrow i would have written a very nasty post, but somehow it all seems a but futile now...

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1356040102' post='1906218']

If the world was not going to end tomorrow i would have written a very nasty post, but somehow it all seems a but futile now...
[/quote]

That's exactly what I mean. All very pointless. Quote my entire reply and add nothing. No wonder it's got to so many pages.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1356006365' post='1905541']
Em... [i]worked[/i] :/
[/quote]

I thought they were still doing their thing... but I stopped caring for their newer material a few years ago, too "patriotic" in a terribly cliched kind of way