Why become a member? ×

What brand are the Emperors new clothes ?

Black Coffee

I have bought and tried some gimmicks in my time.
Some massively expensive string manufacturers materials which are plain useless and never stay in tune.
Some seriously awful basses which cost more than a months pay (Rickenbacker 4004), and are a struggle to get to sound different to a bass half the price. Felt short changed after that one, not because the purchase was bad, just the bass wasn't as good as the price suggested it should have been.
What is the greatest gimmick and waste of money in bass land ?

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1355690392' post='1901455']
[i]anything relicd or artifically roadworn[/i][/quote]
This. Especially Bravewood Guitars for me.

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1355693631' post='1901516']
high-end, audiophile, oxygen-free copper, NASA-designed coaxial, Wooten-endorsed cables
[/quote]
And this with the power cable variety rounded up with them!

Edited by jonthebass

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1355697535' post='1901620']
I tried a Sandberg California yesterday. It reminded me of a 5 string Trace Elliot T Bass I once owned. Beautifully built, awful to play...

30 seconds later and it was back on the stand. I was gutted, it looked fantastic.

On the up side my GAS is cured.
[/quote]

Got to agree that the first time I tried one (unplugged) it didn't feel right...

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1355697535' post='1901620']
I tried a Sandberg California yesterday. It reminded me of a 5 string Trace Elliot T Bass I once owned. Beautifully built, awful to play...

30 seconds later and it was back on the stand. I was gutted, it looked fantastic.

On the up side my GAS is cured.
[/quote] when I first started playing I had a thing for a t bass on a local shop, never had the balls to try it. What are they like?

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1355736563' post='1901857']

[/quote]

Also, you know if you double the thickness of your ASDL cable, you get double the broadband speed? Why pay for extra when you just can increase the thickness of the cable between your router and the wall socket.

Similarly, have you noticed that when the air pressure is higher your wifi is quicker? (check your barometers for your best download periods)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1355702476' post='1901716']
when I first started playing I had a thing for a t bass on a local shop, never had the balls to try it. What are they like?
[/quote]

I went from a 4 string Ibanez SR800 to a 5 string T Bass, it was a bit of a culture shock. The bass was very well made and felt rock solid, the neck was wide but shallow in section and the radius tapered from B to G. It also looked fantastic, sonic blue with a white scratch plate but it sounded mechanical... Clank, Clank, Clank, not a harsh sound but lifeless.

I tried to get on with it but gave up after a year. Basically, it was too cumbersome for me and I thought it sounded sh*t.

I sold it on ebay around 10 years ago and bought a Thumb 4 string which I still use.

Edited by 2elliot

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1355739254' post='1901909']
Similarly, have you noticed that when the air pressure is higher your wifi is quicker? (check your barometers for your best download periods)
[/quote]

That is probably true. When the air pressure is higher, the weather is generally better, so more people get outside to enjoy it, leaving saddos with no life less contention on their broadband. ( Sorry, that's a bit off topic )

Have to agree about Sandbergs. A friend has one and I drooled over it for ages before he actually let me have a go, whereupon I was deeply disappointed by how playable it was. Mind you, it was a Jazz, and I'm more of a Precision guy and I think it needed a good setup too.