Why become a member? ×

Duran Duran

ern500evo

Got a text from our drummer yesterday asking if we can try doing Rio by Duran Duran. Had a quick listen earlier, glad he suggested it as I'd forgotten just how much fun the bass part is to play. Nice bit of weekend homework for me, jamming along to this. Just thought I'd share! :D

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1355509522' post='1899514']
It really is a fun part to play, I think as Zuma says in his video suggested by gub, it's all about the ghost notes.
[/quote]

Yep - totally agree. Not difficult to play - but how the heck do you invent a bassline like this from scratch??? Respect.

CB

I tried learning it many years ago, and although I was doing some fairly technical metal stuff at the time, I struggled with it as I had no idea about ghost notes really. Once I got into finger style funk and figured out the use of ghost notes It became much easier.

I love this bass line though I don't do it justice , but it's great fun to bash along with, watching the Zuma vid there are a fair few bits I am not getting quite right , mainly the bit at the start , then of course the bit after the start , the bit in the middle , after that I am fine until the bit before the end , but to tell the truth I am not sure I get the end quite right either ............

I am not at all sure I am the same in most of the songs I play :blush: ........ :rolleyes:

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1355506279' post='1899451']
Great bassline , still don't feel I do it justice though! Check out Zuma arechiga's version of it on YouTube , friend of mine and great player !
[/quote]

Just checked it out, and am amazed - it sounds sooooo much more complicated than it actually is. Which I suppose is signs of true quality.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1355519882' post='1899664']
Just checked it out, and am amazed - it sounds sooooo much more complicated than it actually is. Which I suppose is signs of true quality.
[/quote]
You got it! I had the same feeling earlier this week. Wonder what other lines fall into the same category?!?

CB

This is currently our show ender in my 80s band.

I love the song , and hadn't even considered they were ghost notes until now , ( had the rhythm but played them fretted)
The video by zuma sounds slightly out on the octaves on the 4th phrase of the chorus. I thought it had the stuttered type rhythm there too ?

Rio - great bass line which was a "guilty pleasure" of mine when I was young and playing in a metal band! I don't think they realised that some of the bass lines I came up with for our "originals" were based on funky root, fifth, octaves and ghost notes etc. that I nicked from here...lol. :lol:

Here's a good vid on how the line is broken down ....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28t0MDhe82I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28t0MDhe82I[/url]

Used to do this but drooped in the current line up as too much programming for the keys player which is a shame.
Currently doing hungry like the wolf which I find a bit trickier.
I think that this has been discussed here before; two bass parts and Duran Duran don't play it all live as per record or something.
Rio great fun to play though.

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1355709987' post='1901760']
Wish john taylor would do a show and tell on bernard edwards stingray he got.
[/quote]

I have been told, on more than one occasion, that many of Duran's bass parts were actually 'ghosted' by Mr Edwards - anyone else ever here this?

Maybe it's one of those 'urban myth' things :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1355741410' post='1901944']I have been told, on more than one occasion, that many of Duran's bass parts were actually 'ghosted' by Mr Edwards - anyone else ever here this?

Maybe it's one of those 'urban myth' things :([/quote]
It's one of those urban myth things. First time Edwards worked with Taylor was The Power Station album. They did collaborate on creating the lines for that album, with Edwards "tutoring" Taylor. They subsequently worked that way on Notorious.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1355740997' post='1901939']
Used to do this but drooped in the current line up as too much programming for the keys player which is a shame.
Currently doing hungry like the wolf which I find a bit trickier.
I think that this has been discussed here before; two bass parts and Duran Duran don't play it all live as per record or something.
Rio great fun to play though.
[/quote]
Our keys loves it because he gets to use his "arpeggiator" on it.

Hungry like the wolf has a darned wierd rhythm on the verse, good fun though!