Why become a member? ×

What devalues a bass?

snazz

I've been meaning to put this questing up for a long long time, but didn't really know how to go about it. I'll break it down to just Fender Basses for ease of answers.

I see a lot of people with modded basses, and some mods just seem to put people right off. Let's say we have two basses. A 1975 Jazz and a 1999 Jazz. Both have had identical mods. Which of the following would devalue the bass, or even add value if that's the case.

Stripdown and Varnish

Stripdown and new paint job.

New Bridge/saddle

New Pickups.

New Pots and wiring.

Refret.

Broken but Professionally repaired Neck.

New tuners.

New Scratch plate and knobs.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll assume that any mods done would be using high end or quite decent parts. For me, a new paint job puts me right off. I'd rather a honest looking bass than a tarted up one. I also don't like the thought of the original pickups being changed unless it was like for like same brand and age where possible. I don't mind a refret as if it needs to be done, then it needs to be done, but I do see some people are really not too happy with that. I can't see a way around a new fret job if the bass needs it. How you gonna ever play it again if the frets are gone?

I do like the Badass bridge/saddle stuff and think it looks way better than the Fender one, but again, I think the original needs to be there.

Oh well.... let's see what people think.

Regards

Steve Blease.

[quote name='snazz' timestamp='1354552534' post='1887264']

Stripdown and Varnish. [b]Will devalue either[/b]

Stripdown and new paint job. [b]Will devalue either[/b]

New Bridge/saddle [b]Will devalue old bass maybe value add or not alter new bass[/b]

New Pickups. [b]Will devalue old bass maybe add or not alter new bass[/b]

New Pots and wiring. [b]Will devalue old bass maybe add or not alter new bass[/b]

Refret. [b]Will devalue any bass a bit but what can you do?[/b]

Broken but Professionally repaired Neck. [b]Massive reduction in any bass no matter how good unless its so good its not declared[/b]

New tuners. [b]Will devalue old bass maybe add or not alter new bass[/b]

New Scratch plate and knobs. [b]Will devalue old bass maybe add or not alter new bass[/b]

[/quote]

They are just my opinions :)

Modding never adds more value to an instrument than the amount you've spent.

Modding will [i]always[/i] devalue an instrument that relies on its age, originality, rarity or uniqueness for its value.

Too many people get a bass then whip out the tool box. Leave them alone.

Concentrate on playing them better not frigging around with the wiring.

(/rant)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354556275' post='1887330']

[/quote] i do, to set it up. :)

Tuners and bridges are the one that gets me, you hear so many folk talk about cheap tuners... ive never found a bass i coul#nt tune and it stay in tune. Some are better than others but again not so much it would make a difference. And a have never even heard of on of these "flimsy" BBOT afctaully breaking due to its design

People can do whatever they want with their instruments.
The odd modification to get a certain bass "just so" is worthwhile if it improves the instrument and you enjoy it more.
Similarly, the owner needs to decide what the instrument is for:

Use a musical tool in working scenarios
Specifically for modification
Hung on a wall as more of a decoration
Left in a case under a bed/in a cupboard to appreciate in value
etc.

The intended purpose of the bass will help determine which (if any) modifications are appropriate.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1354559775' post='1887383']
Being owned by me devalues a bass
[/quote]

Yeah, I devalue basses all the time. In fact, I use MDP as an agent now and I find I get more for them on his eBay listings (as opposed to mine). He takes a cut though....

...generally with a blunt saw in a really obvious place.

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1354553774' post='1887290']
Taking it out of the shop
[/quote]
Yep, as sure as anything, the easiest way to quickly devalue a bass - and then wait for 20 plus years til it becomes vintage and then costs more than it did originally.

I think it depends on the value of the instrument in the first place. If I was saving up for a specific high end bass I wouldn't be looking for one that had been modded because I would expect it to be good in any case.
If it was low value then modding may make a big improvement.

Simple as that!

My 78 Fender P is entirely original apart from the fact that the Scratchplate is cut into two. Apparently the previous owner had done this in order to allow easier access to the input jack which was always 'playing up'. Obviously he had never heard of a soldering iron as I have never had a problem with the bass since my brother did a basic soldering job 11 years ago.

That has probably devalued the bass a fair bit from its 'nearly but not quite vintage' market value, but considering the massive rise in desirability (and thus price) of late 70s Fenders and the fact I bought it for just under £400, its not something I unduly care about.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1354561330' post='1887420']
Yep, as sure as anything, the easiest way to quickly devalue a bass - and then wait for 20 plus years til it becomes vintage and then costs more than it did originally.
[/quote] ahh you see - even that is due a trick called inflation

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354556275' post='1887330']
Modding never adds more value to an instrument than the amount you've spent.

Modding will [i]always[/i] devalue an instrument that relies on its age, originality, rarity or uniqueness for its value.

Concentrate on playing them better not frigging around with the wiring.

(/rant)
[/quote]

+1

A refret suggests to me that the bass has been played enough to warrant a new set of frets...it must be a good one! That wouldn't devalue it in my eyes.

A replaced saddle is fine in my eyes too. Things break. A replaced bridge is another thing, though. Other mods too.

It kind of depends what you buy a Bass to do. I've got a lovely Jazz which has had a Badass and Bartolinis installed and a lovely new set of Hipshot tuners to go on at the weekend. These mods may reduce the re-sale value, but they suit the way I play and to my ears, make the Bass sound better. Its a working tool and if I need to tweak it, then I will, regardless of what it does to the re-sale price. I know people do buy instruments as 'investments' or get all purist when it comes to mods (especially Rick owners...) but it's mine gosh darn it, so I'll fiddle with it until the cops come!