Why become a member? ×

Would you buy a bass or amp from Tesco?

brensabre79

Its not so new.

For a short time in the 70s both Tesco & Woolworths sold cheapo guitars and amps, and some really bad Bontempi keyboards as well.

The Woolies stuff was branded Audition, and I think they sold some branded Kay as well. Cant for the life of me remember what Tesco stuff was branded though. As we did their TV & Music Centre repairs, the firm I worked for, and then my own firm used to repair the amps and keyboards for them while they were under warranty.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1354036176' post='1881254']
I'm not buying anything from Tesco until they start paying their taxes.
[/quote]

Hmm. I'm getting a bit fed up with all this hysteria about people and companies avoiding tax. Avoiding tax is perfectly legal and seems to be just as legitimate as someone buying something for less than the manufacturer's recommended retail price - by buying it cheaper you're avoiding spending more than you need to. Everyone does it.

If we want to make people and companies pay more tax then it's up to us to change the tax laws, not moan about people and companies behaving perfectly legally but not the way we happen to think they ought to.

Anyway, who do you think will pay for any increases in corporation tax? I'll give you a clue - it won't be at the expense of the company's profitability!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1354037244' post='1881267']
Don't all companies attempt to take over the planet?
[/quote]

No. Some are happy to make adequate profit in their part of the market, without agressively trying to knock out any and every alternative trader, or sneakily getting other parties who are not readily identified with Tesco to buy up every available plot of land around towns & villages as well as up their high streets and take over the pub for a convenience store.

My first port of call is always the Stirchley Music Exchange in Brum because they are a local retailer and the chaps that run it are ace.
i got my Fender P from there, and the Ibanez from the drum shop down the road (which they recommended to me).

But since they are a small second hand shop, you just take pot luck with what they have in at the time. So if I needed something they didn't have/couldn't get I would happily go anywhere. Even Tescos!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1354039440' post='1881302']
My first port of call is always the Stirchley Music Exchange in Brum because they are a local retailer and the chaps that run it are ace.
i got my Fender P from there, and the Ibanez from the drum shop down the road (which they recommended to me).

But since they are a small second hand shop, you just take pot luck with what they have in at the time. So if I needed something they didn't have/couldn't get I would happily go anywhere. Even Tescos!
[/quote]

You lucky, I've had very few 'great' experiences in music shops. I've found the assistants to be a combination of aloof self important snobs or uninterested sarcastic psuedo "box shifters". Handing you a box and being able to work the credit card machine does not amount to good service. Music shops are a lot like golf and fishing tackle shops; you have to be the "right" sort of customers or you get the treatment!

If Tesco or Asda have what i'm after at the right price I'll buy it.

Oh yes mentalextra, I know the kind of shop you mean! And I am definitely not the 'right' sort of customer for that kind of establishment. In fact i think I turn invisible as soon as I walk in. They must think I've got lost on the way to a Women's Institute meeting or something.

But the 2 guys that run the Stirchley Music Exchange are mature chaps and very helpful. Also keen to chat about music and stuff in general in a non pretentious manner. But like I said, the only draw back is the limited amount of stock, so they wouldn't meet all your GAS needs :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1354011921' post='1880691']
Yes, I would buy gear from/via Tesco if it was financially advantageous for me to do so. In the traditional music shops up here bass is treated at best as an afterthought and at worst like the guitar's big, inept cousin and because of this it wouldn't negatively impact my life if they went belly up.
[/quote]

So you think a bass will be one of the major things on sale at Tescos?

I wouldn't buy a pint of milk from Tescos.

I hate their aggressive expansion at the cost of local shops, I hate their deception and running roughshod over planners and councils and I certainly will not encourage them to sell musical instruments at the cost of local music shops.

(They often come out 2nd most expensive to Waitrose - who sell nice food - if you do the on-line receipt comparison thing too.)

I don't see what the problem is. At this level they are an internet box shifter just like any other internet box shifter from Thomann to Amazon.

However if it is GAK that are facilitating this then I would expect cheaper prices buying from them direct as it cuts out one party in the chain.