Why become a member? ×

Guess who !

scojack

Look at what this silly sod has done to this 7 string guitar...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-wide-necked-Jackson-electric-for-guys-with-seriously-big-hands/190748846290?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=009&category=2384&cmd=ViewItem

These guitars were only £400 new! I know...I used to sell them!

Pay close attention to the fabricated Q&A section at the bottom of the auction page. Absolute tool.

Edited by shizznit

[quote][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] [size=3]making special wide neck guitars is very labour intensive and I am the only person in the world who makes them[/size].[/size][/font][/color][/quote]
Copywrite MDP

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1354139389' post='1882724']
Look at what this silly sod has done to this 7 string guitar...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-wide-necked-Jackson-electric-for-guys-with-seriously-big-hands/190748846290?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=009&category=2384&cmd=ViewItem"]http://www.ebay.co.u...84&cmd=ViewItem[/url]

These guitars were only £400 new! I know...I used to sell them!

[/quote]
I've seen lots of Guitars and Basses (sometimes on forums) that were advertised for more than when they were new.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1354135228' post='1882649']
He seems o.k. to me. If customers are happy i don't see a problem.
[/quote]

Is it OK to pass yourself off as a "guitar builder and luthier" when you are neither? Is it OK to butcher every nut you touch? Is it OK to say you are "building wide necked 6 string guitars" when in reality you bought a 7 stringer, took out a tuner ( left a hole unplugged), rejigged the bridge ( so 2 of the 6 strings do not sit above the pole pieces) and charge £417 for the privilege, having spouted some guff about people with big hands on the farm?
Without wishing to sound patronising, his customers are only happy because they do not know any better and they believe all his guff about how he sets up the instruments. The reality is it would probably be cheaper to take the wrecks he buys on Ebay to a Luthier and get them set up by a pro..at least they'd play properly. Because he takes the nuts down so far and straightens the neck, I have grave doubts that once set up so low (as a gnats chuff), there is any further adjustment.

He's identified a market:usually low priced guitars and basses that he can do up coupled with a page of pseudo luthier speak that will impress the less technically aware. Nothing wrong with that if he did an honest job......

Looking at his recent feedback, he has 21 in the past three months.

Assuming that this is his main job and he takes weekends off, then each instrument takes him three days to complete. That's a scary thought.

Assuming that his main job lies elsewhere (Director General of the BBC or whatever) and he does this stuff at the weekend, then each instrument takes him just over one day to complete. In its own way, that's almost as scary ...

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif, Verdana][size=3]
[font="Arial"][size="4"]"Thanks for reading through,[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif, Verdana][size=3]
[font="Arial"][size="4"]Mark D Phillips....... [i]converter/improver"[/i][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333]
[i]thats funny lol [/i][/color]

See, now I don't think we should be taking the mickey, he wants to earn himself a little pin money, then fine.

I don't where to start with this one though;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kay-P-bass-thought-perhaps-1968-with-ebony-fingerboard-/190759708552?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c6a2a2788

Exceptional when you look at the second picture, the one of the headstock. The string path, the left handed tuning pegs set at a convenient angle. When you can buy a brand new starter bass for less than this, surely no-one buys these guitars? Despite his honestly in the ads, does he think everyone else is a fool? Do you get the feeling that, if you had a conversation with him, he'd be 'right' about everything in the world?

Ok, feel guilty of gossip now. I'm not looking at his ads anymore.

I like

[quote][font=Arial][size=4]in its Kay form it had the truss rod in the heel and now in the more common Fender head position.[/size][/font][/quote]

Yep, those Fenders with there not at the heel truss rod adjustment.

Edit: Just spotted the thumbrest, above the thumbrest holes, genius.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Reading between the lines, the Buyer has sent it back, so he's dusted it down, turned up the guffometer and added some more non grammatical gibberish and off he goes again.

"Solid partially road-worn body"- plywood body that someone has tried to strip, realised it was plywood and stopped. It's only "road-worn" if the "road" resembles a Black and Decker sander Mark.....

I figured where he found his business plan, in the fifth Hitcherhiker's Guide book:
[quote]The main trade that was carried out was in the skins of the NowWhattian boghog but it wasn't a very successful one because no one in their right minds would want to buy a NowWhattian boghog skin. The trade only hung on by its fingernails because there was always a significant number of people in the Galaxy who were not in their right minds.[/quote]

Edited by Mr. Foxen

"Kay P bass thought perhaps 1968, with ebony fingerboard."

No expert when it comes to Kay, but wasn't the KB24 first introduced in the mid/late 70s? Wouldn't mind his idiocy and ineptitude so much if the bullshit he spouts was accurate, but it never is.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1354666409' post='1889046']
On closer inspection, it looks as if the back of that neck is all flattened in places where the finish has been taken off too far. Even if it is correctly profiled it looks rubbish- Road Worn? More like Road Torn....
[/quote]

To be fair I think the neck came from another source and attached as he broke the truss rod in the original. I think its the irregular application of dirt (under the lacquer) which gives the impression of flats.

Under an ad for a very expensive s/h case [i]"Depending on use with left/right hand guitar or other preference, ..."[/i]

I said I'd stop looking...

[quote]
[font=Arial][size=4]For this sort of repair I think nothing works better than Cascamite; now it is solid again and seems even more resonant than it was before.[/size][/font]

[/quote]

Wow being a technical advisor for an adhesive company I was unaware that Cascamite had resonant factors......THis guy is a tower of knowladge. I may ask him for more information on this one !

But he still is god-like in the creation of Bullbadge !

Edited by fumps

I love the position of the tuners on this Kay. Do you think that the original neck had those small crappy tuners fitted originally and he decided to fit a set of clover leaf ones? And the position of the string tree is stunning, the way that it bends those (most likely crap) strings completley out of line. The man`s a genius!

I hope Fender or Gibson are aware of this man`s work and sign him up right away for their R & D department`s.

Edited by jezzaboy

Check out post #191: he's going to be doing a column in BGM......

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180696-bass-guitar-magazine-editor/page__st__180"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180696-bass-guitar-magazine-editor/page__st__180[/url]

Edited by yorks5stringer