Why become a member? ×

Lack Of Bass Students

Pete Academy

In my opinion and from my experience depends in the 80% from the teachers, kids are like adults beginning play the bass, a lot of them start with the idea "to have just fun" and with the concept to study just the little they need to play the bass in some friends band. Give them enthusiasm, curiosity, willing to study (even things that they don't supposed to care) when they come back from the day job it's all on the teacher shoulders.
It's the main ability a teacher should have!
In my opinion it's a big truth, the matter that great musician isn't always great teacher! In teaching process IS the teacher that [u]turn on the fire[/u] in students no matter what and the big problem is that a lot of teacher they do it just for the money, they really don't like teach and don't believe in what they are doing in that moment.
The rest 20% it's just marketing, there are several ways to how promote and claim audience and if you had the chance to make it real and you have real good teachers, than you done!
Cheers.

I'm sorry Enrico, i don't mean to be rude, but i found that quite hard to read. you aren't perhaps using google translate, are you? I don't mean to insult your english skills though, google translate has a habit of translating things wrong.

are you saying that in alot of cases, it is the teachers fault for not doing it for any other reason than the money? because i reject that, most kids just aren't interested in learning bass. the music school i was talking about, i am good friends with the owner, and he has a degree in marketing. his business is quite successful, with 6 fully booked guitar teachers, 2 pretty well booked drum teachers, and a bass teacher who only has a few students. he is a good teacher, so that isn't the issue. The issue is, it isn't seen as a "cool" instrument, and kids always want the "cool" thing, even if it is totally rubbish.

I've seen quite a few bass tutors round these parts having to stop doing lessons or concentrate on teaching other instruments now as they are struggling to get work out of it including my old bass teacher who really great.

Also I would say that the lessons I had with him helped me massively and improved my creativity 10 fold. I started off for a year playing on my own and I was quite happy with myself being able to bash out a tune or two and was coming up with my own little bass lines... But I quickly started running out of ideas on what I could do, so I thought I would get lessons and it was the best decision I ever made, I mean I'm a pretty creative person anyway but there is a limit to what you can create when you don't have much knowledge on bass techniques and all that. It didnt take long for my playing to go to a whole new level when my tutor gave me the extra knowledge that I needed to go further and now 6 years on I've never looked back since.

I wouldn't say having lessons gave me creativity, you either have it or you don't its not something I think you can learn but my tutor gave me the knowledge and techniques that I was able to apply to the creativity that I had, that is why I think having some tuition is important, you can eventually learn that stuff on your own but why not take advantage of the knowledge and experience that will be past down to you from a tutor?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1350674571' post='1842271']
If lessons can stifle creativity and inhibit originality then there can't have been much creativity or originality in the first place.

On the other hand, most creativity and originality is total cr*p anyway and would be better stifled.
[/quote]

Very funny. Very true.

best,
bert

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1350674816' post='1842277']
....the excuse of not learning because it may hurt your creativity/feel/groove whatever is
a poor excuse-in itself....
[/quote]

+1

All great novelists went to school and were taught to read, write and understand grammar. That didn't stunt their creativity. It gave them the tools to become the best.

I would guess that most people reading this post are not great and original musicians of the caliber of Macca, Stevie Wonder or Dylan. Me neither, so I can guarantee that all the lessons we can attend will greatly improve our playing, musicianship and "creativity", not the other way around.

I'd suggest that the drop off in bass students is because fewer kids want to become Victor Wooten and more want to become Geddy Lee, the guy in Kasabian or the bass player in whatever the latest "cool" band is.

You don't need lessons to thunder out root notes.

i have to say, school always seemed to blunt my creative edge (not that it is very pointy to begin with). i always found it hard to think and do what i'm supposed to in school. i suppose that's where music differs from school. With music, i just want to play and listen all the time. i suppose it unlocks the part of my mind that is only restricted by my inability to say and convey what i think and feel. (i have a terrible way of expressing myself verbally).

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1350689930' post='1842469']
I understand what Enrico is saying perfectly.
[/quote]

Sorry, i'm not mister super duper, like you :)

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1350747523' post='1843011']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1yl0MFYzXc[/media]
[/quote]
Ken Robinson is a very interesting chap and I largely agree with his analysis of compulsory universal schooling, although my version might have sounded slightly more Marxist.

However, I don't see that his analysis has anything to do with whether having non-compulsory individual musical instrument lessons to learn the skill of that instrument stifles creativity.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1350672378' post='1842223']
Larry Graham needed no teacher
[/quote]

A bogus argument that is sadly all to often made. Of course someone in the top 0.0001% of the natural ability range doesn't need formal training but the rest of us will benefit greatly especially in the early stages of learning.

Larry Graham had no formal tuition/teacher but ill bet money he had a tonne of other bass playing friends that he discussed ideas, concepts and bass stuff with and learnt a hell of a lot through that!

Some people need to learn in a formal setting, some don't. Personally, I find exploring dots from other players lines (like Jamerson or Jaco) is similar to talking to them. I can see why they made certain decisions or played certain rhythms and its often an idea that I couldn't/wouldn't have thought of if left to my own devices. That allows me to expand my playing beyond my own thought and I believe I'm a better player because of that. Other players prefer to do this less formally and will discuss these things with friends who play their instrument and that's cool too.

To say that ALL tuition is bad for all musicians (or equally ridiculous generalisations) is just moronic. If formal tuition isn't your thing then fair enough but why put it down and put off others who might thrive on it?

Edited by skej21

As someone who's learning right now, I'm very glad I'm having lessons. Among other things, my tutor's showing me how to reach most notes in a song in one position, using one-finger-per-fret, reverse scales, etc, and how to use modes to anticipate where a song is going, to improvise, etc. I very much doubt I would've picked these things up on my own.

In terms of local authority music services then, is there anyone in the whole country who is teaching bass only in schools, or is all bass teaching done my guitarists/multi-instrumentalists?
Edit: Of course, there could also be bass players who are teaching other instruments.

Edited by arthurhenry

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1350814340' post='1843647']
In terms of local authority music services then, is there anyone in the whole country who is teaching bass only in schools, or is all bass teaching done my guitarists/multi-instrumentalists?
Edit: Of course, there could also be bass players who are teaching other instruments.
[/quote]
In Brighton, I know of at least one music service guitar teacher who was originally a bassist by training.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1350775079' post='1843464']
A bogus argument that is sadly all to often made. Of course someone in the top 0.0001% of the natural ability range doesn't need formal training but the rest of us will benefit greatly especially in the early stages of learning.
[/quote]

I will not get into my views of "natural talent" but Larry Graham grew up in a gospel background. His freinds and family went and played in churches. How is that not training?

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1350822919' post='1843805']
IMO it's because there are no 'characters' on bass in the newer bands, to inspire kids to take up the bass.
[/quote]

This is mainly what my thread was about. You can knock Flea but at the height of the Chilis, a load of kids wanted to learn his style and therefore turned to teachers.

In our shop I constantly have people say they've heard bass is easier than guitar, and I have to be truthful. You can play along with a root note, as long as it's in time. Would the majority of an audience care if that's what you played all night?

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1350811387' post='1843616']
To say that ALL tuition is bad for all musicians is just moronic (ruins creativity mentioned earlier). If formal tuition isn't your thing then fair enough but why put it down and put off others who might thrive on it?
[/quote]

Can you quote where anyone said that?
I can't find it and I'd like to know who you're calling moronic.