Why become a member? ×

Difficult life decision to make!!

Truckstop

Decision one:

Join a professional functions/cruise/party band. Excellent money, good band, management and contacts all sorted. Essentially the legwork's all been done. However, I'm not a massive fan of the material and I'd need to play guitar.

Decision two:

Develop current band into a professional cruise/corporate band. I'd get a say in the material, dress code, more money, and I'd get to play bass (which is always preferable). However, we'd be starting from ground zero. So far our biggest show has been at a beer festival for £400 (between 5). So, a lot more risky.

Help please!!!

Alex

Edit: I'm 25 and work in the pub trade so I won't be losing a lot whatever happens!

Edited by Truckstop

Only you know the abilities of your current band Alex, but assuming they are all both able and willing, that could be a good move, as you know the guys and get on with them - always easier in a band if you don`t have friction.

However, the other set-up on paper looks a very good option, but as above, can you get on with the rest of the band - if not, not the best move. Combine that with not really being into the material could make for a miserable existence.

Desperately trying to NOT sound patronising but you're a bit younger than my son & he's been involved in various band projects since he was 14. I'd tell you the same thing I'd tell him. Grab the biggest opportunity you can while you're still young enough & without any ties to do so, as long as there's no pay-back. He works in the pub trade too in-between commissions, & he's always been able to find a slot to come back to.
As the saying goes "You're a long time dead". Assuming you're happy that you can fill the gig on guitar (1st option) then I'd say grab it while you can. If it fails you can at least say you did it - and the trip would be worth it.

Your only 25 !!!

How about going with option 1 , do it for as long as you can , learn all you can , make as many contacts as possible from promoters , staff, and other muso's , make as big a network as possible , make notes on all of the above .
Then when it gets to much , chuck it in and start your own with the extensive knowledge that you now have !!!

Wish I was 25 again , no brainer , cruise ship , women , booze !!! Oh deary me ! :gas:

I actually used to work in the St. Albans Robert Dyas (Bobby Dies we used to call it)!

Yeah, you're all pretty much confirming what I was thinking already (except for Nigel; thanks again for your thoughts ;) ). I've got the rest of my life to work at being a credible musician; what's wrong with selling out a little to make some decent money while I'm young?

Thanks everyone!

Alex

[quote name='plumbob' timestamp='1350570967' post='1840677']
Your only 25 !!!

How about going with option 1 , do it for as long as you can , learn all you can , make as many contacts as possible from promoters , staff, and other muso's , make as big a network as possible , make notes on all of the above .
Then when it gets to much , chuck it in and start your own with the extensive knowledge that you now have !!!

Wish I was 25 again , no brainer , cruise ship , women , booze !!! Oh deary me ! :gas:
[/quote]

+1. Thats what I'd do.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1350571421' post='1840692']
I actually used to work in the St. Albans Robert Dyas (Bobby Dies we used to call it)!

Yeah, you're all pretty much confirming what I was thinking already (except for Nigel; thanks again for your thoughts ;) ). I've got the rest of my life to work at being a credible musician; what's wrong with selling out a little to make some decent money while I'm young?

Thanks everyone!

Alex
[/quote]

Alex, I was trying to focus your mind mate :D

f***ing GO FOR IT! WTF are you even thinking about it for! The first option is a massive leg up and you should feel honoured to have that opportunity.

Best of luck :)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1350573024' post='1840739']
Go for option 1 now, use the experience to have a better chance of achieving 2 at a later date.
[/quote]

Absolutely this.
You'll be kicking yourself forever if you don't do it. I've spent most of my time in middling bands playing music I don't like with people I barely get on with. At least you get a chance to do that but with some killer gigs and good times thrown in. (I regret everything :) )

[quote name='plumbob' timestamp='1350570967' post='1840677']
Your only 25 !!!

[/quote]

Another vote for Plumbob on this. If you've not done this before, then doing it the first time round in an established outfit with a bunch of experienced, cynical, world-weary musos must surely teach you more and faster.

Enjoy!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1350571297' post='1840687']
Go get balls deep in hookers in Vegas, I didn't read the OP but this is the answer to all life decisions.
[/quote]
Vegas is too dusty. I presume the hookers to be similarly dusty.
I reckon the cruise ship option would be good experience. And it's less dusty.