Why become a member? ×

Does anyone like their bass? Really?

lowdowner

All my basses are keepers. My Lakland has had the longest period with me than any other bass that I have owned...coming up to 9yrs now. I have had the Warwick Thumb since new for about 8yrs and I recently bought the Fender J second hand. To be fair, the Thumb doesn't get much play these days, but it would kill me to sell it. I have a Shuker Uberhorn on its way at the end of the month and my bass GAS will be satisfied for a while.

i've had my Precision from new for 5 years now. It's done all bar 4 gigs since then when I had a brief fling with my Retrovibe Rickenfaker.
I've tried others but nothing sits as well in our band mix as well. Whenever I use anything else the guitarist moans. Quite rightly too.
I tried lots when I was buying and it was the nicest and it's fairly light too. Much nicer than the old '68 I useed to own.
All I swapped on it was the pickup for a Wizard thumper and put a new b/w/b scratchplate on.
It's got the odd ding and chip on it. The on;y thing I didn't like was the colour. I wasn't a sunburst fan I can't see myself using anything else in the future. I'm very happy with it now. I kept thinking I 'needed' another/different bass but now realise that was subliminal peer pressure from Basschat...
I'm sticking with this one for the foreseeable. Maybe I should give it a name?

I've had many fine basses over the last 40 years Several 60s and 70s Precisions, a pre EB Sabre and a Wal fretless.
The only bass I've ever regretted selling was a Warwick JD Thumb Custom, pure magic.
What I kept and have had from new was my Squier JV 62 Precision which I defretted 20 odd years ago, it's going nowhere.
My current main gigging bass is a Squier CV Precision (daphne blue) which plays better than any Precision I've owned and is totally stock.I never thought an inexpensive bass could be so good.
I'd still have the Warwick back in a heartbeat but I bet it will be for a lot more cash than what I sold it for.

Like many others, i've been through my fair share of basses - but it has taught me what i ACTUALLY need for gigging purposes. I wouldn't part with my Warwick Corvette now, it's a great all rounder and plays and sounds like a bass twice its price. Only thing i am gassing for (and will keep this time) is a P Bass of some description (CV probably).

I've been through the expensive/boutique/extended range thing and it didn't work for me personally.

The only other thing i need to do is spend less time buying/selling/reading about basses, and play the damn things!

Cheers

Graeme

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1349044498' post='1821160']
Not so much a bass that I'll never part with but a neck. It's been on (I think) 4 different bodies with various pickup configurations and is so lovely to play.[/quote]

Now that I can understand and respect; it takes dedication to go to that much trouble.

I've gone through so many basses in the last 10 years I've lost count. I've had Alembic's, Sei's and countless boutique basses, but I've always come back to Status.
The 6 string headless and the 5 string headed that I have are actually basses I bought new from Status and then sold later, only to buy them back because they were so good. Searching for Bass utopia is a pointless task, as I've found out. The 5 string headed came up for sale unexpected a few weeks ago by the guy I sold it to, so I snapped his hand off to get it back, it's brilliant.

The 6 string headed is a one off with an extra pup in it. As well as having all the Status normal vibes, it also has bass boost on it which makes it a dub monster, if that's your thing.

I've also just bought a pimped 75 re issue CIJ Jazz, that has trick pups in it, an Aguilar pre and hipshot tuners. It way out Marcus' a Miller.

So yeah, I like my basses and can't see any of them going anywhere soon.

I've said it before here but I think that one credible professional instrument is enough for me. I think a lot of the benefits of this bass over that one are illusory and entirely circumstantial. I have had pretty much one electric bass for 26 years and one combo for 12 and have never felt the need to look elsewhere. For me, it has long been about the music and not about the bass guitar. I think I would probably be perfectly happy with one fretless bass, whatever it was. My double bass is not a great instrument but it does the job and people have been kind about the sound so why worry? I figure that, if I want it to sound better, I should practice more.

I had a beauty of a Musicman 2band stingray, blonde natural body and neck, awesome punchy stingray sound, but a wife and a baby and no money ment it had to go (for an obscenely low price too i might add)
Am i happy with my current SR500, i should be i've had it a number of years, i would like to change it for the SR505 but it does everything i really need. The snob in me would like a spector or a Zon but fortunately i cant afford them.
Am i happy, no i wouldnt say i am, but i am content with what i have.

Love my basses, and can't see then go at all (but I am aware that life can sometimes get in the way).

My basses are all related to old loves, though they all differ from the old loves.

But in reality the most important issue to me right now is not their sound by itself, but that I want to experience as many different sounds, necks, strings, pups, bridges etc. as possible, and preferably be able to play them too.
I wanna be able to pick up any bass and play it reasonably well.

best,
bert

Never selling my lakland 55-01 . It just plays so well and sounds so nice. IT had 2 months off due to a blown pre amp (bleedin power surge) however now I forgot just how much I missed it, and how its sister doesn't sound so good or play so nicely (I have a lakland owners group P Bass , nice bass just I much prefer the 55-01)

Like it? Absolutely. My Schecter C-4 isn't the most expensive or fancy bass around and I could probably afford more expensive instruments if I really wanted but this particular instrument does everything I need.

It's comfortable to play, great tone to my ears and I love the way it looks. I've played it at all the important gigs I've performed at so has plenty of great memories attached.

Like it? Yes

The only basses i have owned, sold, and then instantly re bought are old Streamer Stage II's, i had a 4 string '88 model i'd kill to have back, i currently have a 5 string '91 model that i doubt i would ever sell, i know if i did, i'd buy another one outright.

The Stage II just nails "that" tone i want live and in the studio.

Curiosity always makes me want to try other basses, but i won't be selling my current ride to make any room for anything else anytime soon.

So my Stage II is my un sellable.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1349041235' post='1821106']
Here you go then, Musicman Stingray, was my main bass since Dec 1999 till I started with the 5 string -

I love it so much that I tried to track down a 5 string in this colour on this forum, but the owner understandably didn't want to part with it... I still want one though :)

I doubt this is going anywhere!
[/quote]

That is a fantastic colour!

Reading all this tells me I'm a total malcontent or just unlucky in love. My Jazz bass is lovely to play but I can't get it to sound right, the bass on mine just keeps on going down and there's plenty of clean top to play with but it just seems too characterful for me, however I EQ it just invades the mix and drives the rest of the band out. I've tamed it with flats for the time being but ther is little love there even if she is a looker.

I've just bought a Gibson Thunderbird (well it was cheap). Gibson are insane. How could they build such a wonderful sounding instrument and give it that lovely neck and then stick on a body that has nowhere sensible to put the strap. Thunderbird players aren't really all posers, they a wrestling with a guitar that is constantly trying to dash itself to pieces on the floor.

The only one I really love is my starter bass, A Cort Action IV which more than matches the jazz for action but sadly doesn't sound good enough with the band, at home though I keep sneaking back to it. Sooo comfortable.

I love mine!
Musicman Stingray 5 and a Warwick Streamer LX 5.
I ALWAYS wanted a stingray and ever since I bought it over ten years ago it's been everything I wanted and more - I bought the Warwick last year and I love it too.
I'm very happy!
I've also got an Aria Sinsonido for when I'm away from home, I only like it because it's lightweight and it fits into my bunk on the bus with me but it sounds horrible and it's far from being a pleasure to play.....

On a similar note I've got a Casio Privia electric piano at home which I love too and I've an Alesis 49 key midi USB keyboard which I take away on tour / to work with me in the same case as the Sinsonido - once again it plays terribly but being lightweight and small it does what i need it to do

My basses are a much more humble than most peoples on here, but they are all different & that's why I have them.

Electric bass:[b] Ibanez SR300[/b] A solid budget bass that makes all the sounds that I could ever want from a bass, I absolutely love it to bits & still feel that I would never part with it. When I first picked this bass up it just felt right, the balance was bang on, the feel was correct......I'm just very pleased with it & after almost two years of owning it, I still smile whenever I play it.

Upright: [b]Stagg EUB[/b] My beast........What can I Say ? a jet black upright electric bass that when played through my big muff pedal will scare young children......Pretty, reminds me of Darth Vader & is beautiful to play.......Mine & never gonna part with it.

[b]Starfire acoustic bass[/b]- Loud enough to be used as a practice bass, Cheap & will be used to take with me camping with me mates, not the best acoustic out there but I intend to become very good friends with my little acoustic !