Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

Had a great time last night, just started working on a recording project with a local guitarist and I brought in a tool-esque riff I'd come up with ages ago and he loved it. We then started writing a new song around it, I've been in a few originals bands over the years but this is the first time soneone's really liked something I've brought in (as opposed to my lines over their chords).

It made me feel really good and he seems to want a truly collaborative approach to writing, which is refreshing.

Yesterday now, but:[list=1]
[*]started with the drive to r/h expecting a major fallout and collapse of the band after the previous Friday's gig that ended in a shambles & with drummer muttering "I don't think I can do this anymore chaps"
[*]got to r/h & nothing mentioned at all really other than "I can't see the point in playing there anymore"
[*]#2 guitarist muttered about having been given the run around by the gig in the meantime, viz Landlord: "call me for next years gigs", #2 guitarist calling in and phoning at various agreed times and getting nowhere - my response "welcome to my world of trying to get us gigs"
[*]the evening then progressed with working through two new covers & one proper rework, all of which went pretty well. My favourite of all three? Crazy Horses - The Osmonds via Gilbert/Portnoy/Morse - MWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!
[*]Got home & found the deps booked for this w/e & next appear to be off, though noone has had the good grace to bother to tell me ([i]feckers[/i]) and I had turned down another on the strength of them, which rather pissed on the end of my day
[/list]
or[list=1]
[*] :(
[*] :mellow:
[*] :P
[*] :D
[*] :angry:
[/list]

Still a few new numbers for the set. Perhaps I can get my gig getting mojo back

Edited by WalMan

My new bassline pickups came for my squier precision 5 string today.......you know whats coming next..........yes they are not a straight drop in replacement, buggeration. I have a lesson tomorrow and my bass teach just happens to work at Overwater (I bought it off him two weeks ago). So the lesson tomorrow is............... route out the pickup cavities. Might put flats on as well.

My TC electronic switch 3 also arrived too but have'nt had chance to try it yet as amp is in practice room.

plus I have listened to Easy by the Commodores for what feels like a million times to nail the timing for the tripplet run.....god I'm beging to hate that song.

Crap-run off my feet all day at work-if things could go wrong they did.
kept saying to myself "never mind rehearsal tonight"
16.15 recieves text off Guitarist, singer cant make it tonight(again FFS :angry: )
Totally pissed off with this malarkey now,we have'nt managed to string 4 rehearsals together all year!
we've done even fewer gigs.
WHY oh why do I chuffin bother
Oh managed 1/2hour on Bass when I got home.
there, rant over.

Edited by LeftyBiskit

Got in from work at half four and started learning seven songs for a gig with my brother's band tomorrow night, when I noticed my Marshall MBC15 cab wasn't making any sound.

I've only recently had my MB4210 repaired so this p****d me off a little bit. I decided to open the thing up to see if I could fix it myself and it turned out that a coil of wire had come loose, so I just taped it back on like the technical whiz kid I am and it worked.

I just hope it doesn't burst into flames during soundcheck. (It probably will)

Pretty fantastic day to be honest. I was meant to be going back on a Cruise ship for 4 weeks from the 19th, going round the Med, and back in time for Xmas...Then I got a call asking if I wanted to go on another ship, leaving in a week's time to go to the Caribbean until February 15th. Pretty chuffed to be honest :)

Chilled lesson after work, we were both dog tired but I learnt and moved forward so job done. Also discussed replacing pickups on 5 string, teach going to do it for me cos cavities need routing. Plus got talked into replacing white scratch plate with black one and discussed fitting active controls. Going to have hot bath and an hours practice (alcohol will consumed as I'm off work tomorrow)

I spent a couple of hours in The Gallery trying all manner of 5 string loveliness (big up to Martin [especially], John & Alex for putting up with me as I worked my way through Sadowsky, MusicMans, Fender, Status, Sei, G&Ls and Lakland) so my bassist day has been pretty sweet. I do now have terrible GAS though!

A new singer is joining our band, and suggested Dear Prudence as a track... So have been learning the bassline... But mostly I am feeling happy that the band is getting back on track, although scared that it may all fall apart again.

I'm at my most motivated playing wise when there is band stuff in the offing.

Just listened back to last nights rehearsal and editied out the good bits and sent them on to rest of band. Well and truly chuffed with the progress, especially as some of the ideas are pushing someone out of his comfort zone and he is reacting very very well to the challenge.

Happy days!

As a bassist.. mixed bag.

Got confirmation from a venue about a gig, brilliant!

The venue then changed the price of hall hire from free to £25 an hour (original agreement was we get as many along as poss, they sell booze).

Three bands I invited to play with us really wanted too but unfortunately they've all not been able to do it, they let me know in plenty of time so fair enough but still...

Gaaaaargh!

Spent all day in the office with a light workload - hence plenty of time on basschat. My bass is sat at home on its stand, all plugged in and waiting for me to come home and record some bass parts for the track I am working on (only for the best part of a year so far, so quite rapid progress for me). Whether I will still have the energy and enthusiasm to do said recording once I've watched University Challenge and Only Connect remains to be seen. Can't do it before, as that's my slot for practising the squeezebox ready for a Halloween gig tomorrow night.

My day as a bassist is about to begin! As usual for a Monday I have a rehearsal that I go to straight after work. So the Ibanez is sitting in the office waiting for me to have a little practice before I set off.
I'll call up a couple of tunes on Youtube and play along unplugged.

Looking forward to the rehearsal, but hope Vox and Guitar don't start bickering as usual. :o