Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

I had the urge to start a discussion! What's everyone been doing today with their basses?

Today I headed over to the gallery to check out some 6 strings as i'd never played one... Turns out I'm not a fan! SO this means my upcoming Overwater will be a 5 string rather than a 6.... but i also checked out the new MarkBass Big Bang, pretty cool but I feel like the guys at MarkBass are just trying to find any way they can to improve their heads (ie. the aux in, headphone out, size difference and the change in colour) I'm guessing that they're doing this because there is no other way to sound better!

What have you done with your day? :)

At lunch time I had a fettle with my Guild B402-A (*cough* which is still for sale btw *cough*) - truss rod adjustment and a bit of a noodle.

Tonight I did some practice - used my G&L Tribute L-2000 to play some previous band stuff and some ska/2 tone stuff. Good times :)

Edited by neepheid

Pretty damn good. I had the Warwick Thumb out and was going over a few Killers tunes that I had forgotten. I had been putting off [i]Mr. Brightside [/i]for ages as I used to know it well and then stopped playing it and forgot it. So I knew I wouldn't enjoy playing it again, especially if I was struggling to get it perfect like I used to have it. It all came back pretty quickly though, and I look forward to playing it again and getting it back to where I had it.

Day job, 7:45 start, finished 6:30, 10 mins lunch, eating while working (the hours are just part of the job, no overtime here lol) Band cancelled this week and is my fault since job moved a meeting at one days notice. What is a bass, do I play one ? I do enjoy my job, it is rewarding, and is nuts at times. Some might call it a career/profession/vocation.

Edited by 3below

Just having a bit of a jam on a Hamer Cruise Bass - now with Lollar PuPs. I am going over last nights rehearsal tunes that we will be playing on Saturday night. 3 new tunes, one featuring a favourite bass player of mine, Bernard Edwards.

To steal from Freddie, "Don't stop me now, i'm bla bla"

Cya

I wasn't working today and the missus was out so I spent the morning noodling and jamming to random songs. I tried to record some african-highlife-style basslines but didn't come up with anything worthwhile. Had lunch, geeked about on the net, fetched the kids from school, made dinner then went to jam with a couple of people I've not met before, a singer and a guitar player. It was supposed to be a soul/jazz/hip-hop kind of thing but ended up being mostly weird bluesy funk with occasional dub thrown in. It was a fun evening though, a bit odd not having a drummer but I'm looking forward to playing with them again...

Took the flats off my recently re aquired Status S2 5er and put a set of light gauge roundwounds back on it, quick set up and had a blast playing it again.

I sold this bass 3 years ago and just bought it back, this bass is "the one" I was like a tw*t for selling it, and was very lucky to get it back. I drove a 600 mile round trip to Glasgow and back to pick it up last Saturday, worth every mile.

Also completed a trade of my Dingwall 5er for a very nice Jazz, and to top it all off, played Black Country Communion 2 VERY LOUD in the car.

All in all a very good top day.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1348603425' post='1815931']
Had to drive halfway across the country for work today and knew I wouldn't be up to playing this evening so squeezed 45 mins in first thing this morning playing some jazz as best as I could - found out that early playing suits me as I was full of energy...

Next...? :)
[/quote]
Been doing this for years (decades, nearly) bass is in my hands first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but not much inbetween!

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1348606499' post='1816001']
Rang up Dawsons to find out that Marshall are going to potentially charge me £30 an hour to fix my amp.
Anybody fancy fixing it for free? :)

...Anybody? :(
[/quote]

How far from the Wirral are you? I know a great amp tech in Ellesmere Port who is absurdly cheap too. PM me if the distance isn't too bad and I'll hook you up his number!

Oh, and back on topic - bass was non-existent for me today. Yesterday I had a meeting with the guys from what will be my new function band, which seems very promising and will get me back into regular bass playing, I've been out of it for around a year now. Not much bass on the immediate horizon but looks to be changing soon!

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1348606499' post='1816001']
Rang up Dawsons to find out that Marshall are going to potentially charge me £30 an hour to fix my amp.[/quote]

I know you said in your other post/thread about it that you bought it at Dawson's but I'd be inclined to check with Marshall what Marshall charge.

Played along to what now view as the demo version of one of my bands tracks, which is completely different to what we actually play now, as it's cr*p, and is missing my tasty little bass licks and the dubstep breakdown. The only things similar are the opening note of the verse and chorus, and the lyrics.

And that's about it. I'll probably pick it up again and do my usual rendition of Bruno Mars' Runaway Baby before i go to bed.

Liam