Why become a member? ×

Ashdown amps

Halfmanhalfbiscuit

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1346916917' post='1794712']
Ashdown amp are great. I love the sound, it's rich, detailed and sounds great with a P bass.

For around £300 you can pick up a 2x10 ABM combo,these are much better than the mag series.
[/quote]

I think he means secondhand (probably from the for sale section on basschat).

Ashdown are well used amps, many pros use them, and watch any televised festivals, it`s more than likely you`ll see Ashdown bass amps all over the place.They have a reputation (un-warranted in my opinion) for a warm woolly sound, but I don`t think either Bruce Foxton or JJ Burnell could ever be described as having woolly sounds, and they both use Ashdown. As with anything, it`s how you use the eq. They do have a nice rich sound to them though.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1347096934' post='1796870']
Ashdown are well used amps, many pros use them, and watch any televised festivals, it`s more than likely you`ll see Ashdown bass amps all over the place.They have a reputation (un-warranted in my opinion) for a warm woolly sound, but I don`t think either Bruce Foxton or JJ Burnell could ever be described as having woolly sounds, and they both use Ashdown. As with anything, it`s how you use the eq. They do have a nice rich sound to them though.
[/quote]

Totally agree.

Saying that, I have not seen Bruce Foxton use one yet, he still seems to be taking his VBA stack out.

I find that Ashdown amps, especially the ABM models are quite fluffy sounding. Not that I don't like that...I do like the Ashdown tone, but they don't work out well with me personally. Passive basses do sound fantastic through these amps. If you are looking for a big trouser shaking tone then you can't go wrong with an Ashdown.