Why become a member? ×

On No! Not Another "I've Quit the Band" Thread

Johngh

Well, I never thought I'd do it. But I've just quit my band.

It's a 4 piece with a female vocalist. Not a bad little outfit really, nice bunch of people, but we've had no gigs for about six weeks and I've not missed it. We have one tonight which I'll do, but it will be the last.

When it get's to the stage where you would rather stay at home than go out to play a gig, it's time to pack it up.

I'm tired of the tunes we do, and trying to get them to change is like pulling teeth

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1345824538' post='1782101']
I'm giving up live music next year, so I can have my life back. After 32 years in bands, no holidays etc, losing girlfriends. Time for a break.
[/quote]

Maybe try to find a happy life-music balance, as opposed to quitting altogether? And if you're losing girlfriends purely because of being a musician, you're clearly hanging with the wrong women...

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1345824699' post='1782105']

Maybe try to find a happy life-music balance, as opposed to quitting altogether? And if you're losing girlfriends purely because of being a musician, you're clearly hanging with the wrong women...
[/quote]women don't like it ya know, i was touring Germany when my 1st daughter was born... Ooh dear,didn't go down well

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1345825330' post='1782113']
women don't like it ya know, i was touring Germany when my 1st daughter was born... Ooh dear,didn't go down well
[/quote]

As I said, if your other halves [b]purely[/b] dislike you guys being musicians, then they are the wrong women for you. If, instead, there is a different type of grudge behind it, and they are simply using music as an excuse to express their displeasure at the way you treat them (be they wrong or right in their belief), then it's a different kettle of fish.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1345822643' post='1782059']
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=4]On No! Not Another "I've Quit the Band" Thread[/size][/font][/quote]

It could be worse, you could have somehow managed to get what kind of strings you're using into it too.

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1345824538' post='1782101']I'm giving up live music next year, so I can have my life back. After 32 years in bands, no holidays etc, losing girlfriends. Time for a break.[/quote]

Since I gave up on my last full-time band last summer I've picked up loads of ad-hoc gigs with interesting players I'd never have thought about playing with. And I don't have to fill up my schedule with gigs or rehearsals, it's all a lot more casual but the music is still really interesting and the gigs are good.

Just saying, you don't have to be 'in a band' or gigging all the time.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1345824699' post='1782105']
[/quote]

I'm quite lucky that my wife likes being married to a musician :)

She often posts things on facebook like 'I'm sleeping with the bass player after the gig tonight!'

Just need to work out what band he's in and give him a slap lol

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1345826855' post='1782147']
I'm quite lucky that my wife likes being married to a musician :)

She often posts things on facebook like 'I'm sleeping with the bass player after the gig tonight!'

Just need to work out what band he's in and give him a slap lol
[/quote]

:D :D :sun_bespectacled: :i-m_so_happy:

If it isn't working, then it isn't working,
The worst bands are the ones that stick togther out of habit and comfort.
If the band isn't moving forward in some small way, it is time for that band to cease...but then
it is also a business to some so ...???

I think bands have a finite life but not many recognise this..or want to.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1345828649' post='1782197']
If the band isn't moving forward in some small way, it is time for that band to cease...but then
[b]it is also a business to some so ...???[/b]

[/quote]

The singer and guitarist are married so the extra income comes in handy, for me it's more about the enjoyment and the music

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1345822643' post='1782059']
I'm tired of the tunes we do, and trying to get them to change is like pulling teeth
[/quote]

Interesting. One of the bands I'm in seems to have the opposite problem. We have a couple of good songwriters but they're always more interested in their latest creations and less interested in getting the current ones properly rehearsed and really tight. There may be a certain level of 'muddling though' gigs that bands can get away with, but I'm finding it increasingly frustrating.

[/quote]

Agree, been there, and only realised how much I hated it once I`d left.

[/quote]

I'd agree with this, and also add that also businesses must move forward (and have a finite life).
Seems to me as if the OP made the right decision at the right time.

Good luck, John!

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1345836988' post='1782347']
I'd agree with this, and also add that also businesses must move forward (and have a finite life).
Seems to me as if the OP made the right decision at the right time.

Good luck, John!

best,
bert
[/quote]

Bert, many thanks, it's appreciated.

Ironic thing is, I went to play my last gig with them tonight only to find when I got there that we had been double booked, so no gig. The owner paid us £15 each in compo, so that's that. Shame really as they are teriffic folk, but no more I love rock and roll by Joan bloody Jett. Happy day's.

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1345824538' post='1782101']
I'm giving up live music next year, so I can have my life back. After 32 years in bands, no holidays etc, losing girlfriends. Time for a break.
[/quote]

Oh no! I'd better make sure I get to see your band this year then! :-0