Why become a member? ×

Going wireless

dmccombe7

Not sure if this is right section but looking at wireless system for my bass.
Any comments or advice on best option without spending silly money.
I've heard you lose some of your tone ?
Do they suffer from interferance.
Recommended makes / models ?

cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1344668573' post='1767705']
Not sure if this is right section but looking at wireless system for my bass.
Any comments or advice on best option without spending silly money.
I've heard you lose some of your tone ? [b]Not on the newer stuff. Even on the older stuff, I just added a bit of Bass to the EQ.[/b]
Do they suffer from interferance. [b]Once again, not on the newer stuff. No more Taxis on-stage![/b]
Recommended makes / models ? [b]My Wife bought me an AKG system for my Birthday, from Sound Control online, without knowing anything the first thing about wireless systems. She just picked "Wireless for Bass". It's brilliant![/b]

cheers
Dave
[/quote]

I second the Line 6.
I've had a G30 for a couple of years, never had a problem and it doesn't lose any tone. They're only around £200 too which is pretty decent.
I really like that the receiver fits on your pedal board and doesn't have any aerials sticking out where you don't want them too.

Aside from that I had a Samson Airline Bass for a few years and that was pretty good although it did seem to lose a bit of bass. It's nothing that you can't fix with your amp though.
I don't think they make them anymore but if you want to save a bit of money from the Line 6 you can pick them up on eBay for around £100 when they come up.

I had an AKG set-up a few years back. Was very good, no loss of tone, no interference, easy to set up and use, and the biggest bonus of all, no clumsy bandmates getting tangled up in my leads and almost knocking the amp over on an almost hourly basis.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1344717074' post='1768414']
I use a Sampson airline , I really have difficulty telling any loss of tone , I love it .
[/quote]

Ditto - one of these.... and no patch cable as if plugs straight into the input jack on the guitar.

Loss of tone..... maybe you might notice a tiny difference under "lab conditions".... but with drums, guitars and everything else going on you are not going to notice one little bit - front of house sound-man's going to affect your tone much more. The advantages far outweigh any perceived disadvantages.

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

Samson Airline for me. I got one when I was doubling on midi pedals as the cable seemed to prefer getting stuck under a pedal. For a fairly budget end bit of kit it's OK. If you listen closely at practice vol there is a bit of 'white noise' under the signal but it is unnoticeable at gigging volume. Also a handy system if you swap basses as you just need to swap over the plug in transmitter unit from one bass to the other. Only had 2 occasions where I picked up stray signals from elsewhere. Also handy at sound checks so you can wander off to the back of the venue and hear the full mix while playing.

Edited by KevB

Thanks guys. seems to be even response on most of the suggestions.
I'll have a look on ebay tonight and see whats available based on the suggested units.

I use Roland GT-6B pedals so the G30 being a floor unit might be the better option.

As always sound advice from fellow BC'ers

thanks
Dave

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1344730478' post='1768628']
Bah!! Even Iron Maiden dont do wireless and they run round stages the size of .. Erm..well big stages
[/quote]

I think the wireless systems are more valuable on small stages tbh... clumsy guitarists knocking into you and tangling up, pulling your gear over etc when you're all bunched up on a small stage... if everyone on small stages used wireless we'd have such an easier time! ;)