Why become a member? ×

Why is it when you turn your bass amp up to nosebleed...

daz

So loud that if you twang an E the street starts vibrating, you know what I mean.

Well if you have your amp up that loud, but just play very softly on the strings. Lets say for instance so that 30 decibels is measured at 6 inches from the middle of the cab, just to set a level to work from.

(obviously I know nothing of the decibel scale, 30 db could be quiet or loud I have no idea :) )

Anyway, how come that just sounds a lot [i]'better' [/i]than if you set your amp on half that volume, but still hit the strings hard so that the same decibel level of '30 DB' came out of the speaker.

Just tried it now, and it just sounds 'better'

A couple of factors involved. First is that your hearing perception changes at high volumes. Second is the dynamics of you playing softly on the strings. Third is that amplifying elements (tubes, MOSFETS, etc) get increasingly non-linear in their frequency response as the small-signal input amplitude is increased. Fourth is that speaker responses change at higher volumes.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1344462210' post='1765084']
Personally I think bass amps sound better at lower volumes in most rooms as you're less likely to be overworking the amp, and less likely to be getting reflections al over the place
[/quote]

I think this can be true.... but it does depend on the amp, IMO, and this aspect seperates the men from the boys as to the REAL quality of the amp.

IIRC, Iron Maiden bass player Steve Harris prefers his sound like that. His volume is high and he plays with a really light touch. It'd also account for why he also uses flatwound strings, to keep the accentuated finger noise at this volume level to a minimum. Also, If you're the kinda person who gets loads of blisters from playing, then learning to play lightly in a controlled way whilst letting the amp do all the work will not only improve the health of your fingers, but your tone too. I believe that's a win-win :)

I think your amp is probably at a sweeter spot with more trons pumping through it , I had a couple of Hi Fi amps that had a function that would restrict the output allowing you to crank up the internals without smashing the windows , the makers reckoned the amp worked more efficiently when working a bit harder .

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1344529958' post='1766095']
Really...?? I wouldn't describe Steve Harris as a touch player..?? also appears agrressive and heavy to me..
[/quote]

I thought he was well-known as a "tickler"... :D
I find there's a change in tone depending on how hard you attack the strings, but beyond that, if you pluck too hard, it begins to limit your speed.
Your hands may vary...

+1 on the dynamics issue - if you play light you can get a huge boost in harshness and volume just buy digging in. if you play flat out all the time all you can do is soften up.

I heard Harris played fairly light - but like Geezer Butler he has the action just right (i.e. low) so he can use fret clank to 'cut'... If you hear a Maiden bass track solo'd you'd have to suspect that was the case.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1344584846' post='1766618']
I thought he was well-known as a "tickler"... :D
I find there's a change in tone depending on how hard you attack the strings, but beyond that, if you pluck too hard, it begins to limit your speed.
Your hands may vary...
[/quote]

If by that you mean he has a light touch...:lol: then not by any stretch as far as I am concerned.
Heavy clancky tone which works very well in context..not that I follow his playing that closely, but any video will show him glasping tightly the neck and hitting the strings hard.
For sure there are heavier hitters around..