Why become a member? ×

Is it a criminal offence.....

SpaceChick

...... To ram a bass guitar up your rhythm guitarists arse?

The story, 4 weeks ago I tried out for my band, as did the rhythm guitarist. He said it wasn't for him and he walked away... We started our search for a new rhythm guitarist.

Two weeks ago, he text our drummer to say he would come back but only if he could bring his bass guitar friend... But the band would have to "Ditch the Girl" ie. Me!! Our drummer told him in no uncertain terms that this was not an option.

So last week he said he'd come back on his own.

Tonight was the first rehearsal with him back, knowing what I already knew from our drummer, I was not feeling the love before I started. Then a few tracks in, he stopped the band mid track to say he 'Didn't like my groove' well f*ck off then mate!!!! He was being a right patronising tw*t!!!!

Then he tried to crowbar in some tracks into our setlist, he asked me what I thought and I told him "We already HAVE a setlist" and one that the band are happy with. He's purposefully trying songs where the bassline is beyond me at the moment, I think he's trying to undermine me to try and get his mate in.

I swear, I will not be responsible for my actions! I am going to email the drummer when I have calmed down to say how uncomfortable I felt with him being so patronising.

I know I have the drummer and lead guitarists support, and I think I have the lead singers support. I did stuff up a few numbers tonight though as I was feeling really on edge.

Do you think I am doing the right thing emailing the drummer? I am loving being in the band, but tonight I spent most of the night feeling angry, under pressure or uncomfortable, which is not fun!

Edited by SpaceChick

Yes, you are doing the right thing. If you think the drummer and guitarist are on your side, then it should be no problemo. Seems like he has already irritated other members of the band anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it! :D

PS: What a total arse! :lol: Sounds like a [i]right [/i]control freak.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1343773171' post='1755177']
Don't soil any bass up this idiots ronson. You'd probably find it will only give him pleasure. But your bass in the case, and twat the prick over the head with a hammer.
[/quote]

Definitely this. The scum isn't worth your bass.

Your bandmates would have to be daft to have not noticed your discomfort. DO talk it over with them as soon as! But do it with a clear head. Please do rant here, but of course chat to them calmly about it. Then have the rest of them verbally beat the cr@p out of the unsavoury little character instead :)

PS. emailing the drummer might be seen as weak, just keep your powder dry, carry on, and I'm sure he'll hang himself.

If he crits you again in front of the band, give a big BWAHHAWWHAAW laugh, and just say 'Your only saying that cos your trying to get your mate in to play'

Speak and expose the unspeakable, then he has no-where to manoeuvre

It's a no-brainer, bassists are FAR more important than rhythm guitarists.

What sort of musician has a title that says "I only play chords"? Imagine being an 'E string bassist' - how much work do you reckon you'd get?

f*** him, and the horse he rode in on.

Edited by paul_5

I think at this point I'd be wondering why the rest of the band would even entertain the idea of this guy. He's barely got his foot in the door and he's trying to dictate to the band. Guitarists are ten-a-penny - just find another without his head wedged so firmly up his a*se.

Our drummer did look at me at one point when I was going through an angry stage and whispered "don't let him get to you".

The dynamic of our happy band seemed really different tonight.... AND he kept insisting we go over songs, and part of songs and then was talking for ages in between.

The chap who's rehearsal room we use was rolling his eyes at me too when the Guitard was going off one of his "don't you think we can try going from a C to a C sharp to add a bit of definition" ..... Um no, because then it sounds like F*CKING SH*T!!!!!!!!!

You guys are getting all my pent up anger now..... I should have just decked the w*nker when I had the chance :lol:

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1343774094' post='1755199']
I think at this point I'd be wondering why the rest of the band would even entertain the idea of this guy. He's barely got his foot in the door and he's trying to dictate to the band. Guitarists are ten-a-penny - just find another without his head wedged so firmly up his a*se.
[/quote]

The band has been through a number of changes.... They lost their last bassist who left for another band, and they had to fire the last rhythm guitarist.... They are eager to get on the road..... But I am going to chat with the other members and get their view.

One interesting thing was we didn't do our original tracks.... I don't think our singer "trusts" this guitarist with them.

I'm hoping sense will prevail and he will be ditched by next week.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1343774319' post='1755205']
The band has been through a number of changes.... They lost their last bassist who left for another band, and they had to fire the last rhythm guitarist.... They are eager to get on the road..... But I am going to chat with the other members and get their view.

One interesting thing was we didn't do our original tracks.... I don't think our singer "trusts" this guitarist with them.

I'm hoping sense will prevail and he will be ditched by next week.
[/quote]
I can understand wanting to get things moving... but presumably they want your band to get on the road, rather than the rhythm guitarist's backing band. I really can't believe that deep down they don't harbour the same misgivings as you.

Without wanting to sound in any way disparaging, bog standard rhythm guitarists aren't particularly rare - I could go and do that any day of the week.

The important bit is finding a rhythm guitarist that 'fits in' and adds something positive to the band dynamics.
Putting peoples noses out of joint isn't positive and will result in a lot of aggravation further down the line and the danger is that any work put into the band now will be a waste of time as it will have to be repeated with new members later.
If the universal idea is to go out and gig then you're moving further away from that goal instead of closer.

If you talk to the rest of the band you'll probably find that they found the situation equally uncomfortable and are all sat around waiting for someone else to say something.

Tell me what bass you have and I will answer the initial question

Yes, have a chat with the drummer or assumed band leader and explain what's going On

Hopefully this knob can be shelved and you can find a nice person to replace him

Re adding tunes, it's nice to let new members know they can have input once the initial set is learned and subject to the band being able to pull them off, but certainly not during thier initial introduction

You say you've only been in 4 weeks and whilst I hope not, you may have to except that this is not for you if they don't support you on this one.

All the best

Edited by lojo

A band (IMHO) is 80% dynamics and 20% talent so even if you weren't the best in the world (and it sounds like you're pretty good to me) then it wouldn't be anywhere as near as important as how you guys 'gel' together when playing. It seems like this guy is causing a lot of stress which will almost guarantee failure in quality of performance/music. The question is whether the other guys in the band see this or not.

If you gel then you can get better and better *together* - which is what makes a band work.

In some ways, if they *don't* realise this then you may already be in the wrong band, and if they do, then it'll work out OK because they'll realise where yours, and his, relative value sits. Try not to stress and just loudly remind everyone that he has a motive to keep knocking you. You could even remind them that 'the groove' is black magic and needs constant good and peaceful vibes to grow and prosper (or some such comment... - which I actually believe by the way :) )

Anyway, who'd ever choose a rhythm guitarist over a bassist? They'd have to be completely insane!

Anybody -- rhythm guitarist, drummer, bassist, nose flute player, [i]anyone[/i] -- who joins a band and immediately throws his weight around with his bandmate(s) needs to be shown the door. Ideas fine, but instant criticism? Bum's rush time.

EDIT - if you have a Jackson or BC Rich bass then the answer is definitely to do it :)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1343804094' post='1755337']
Anybody -- rhythm guitarist, drummer, bassist, nose flute player, [i]anyone[/i] -- who joins a band and immediately throws his weight around with his bandmate(s) needs to be shown the door. Ideas fine, but instant criticism? Bum's rush time.

EDIT - if you have a Jackson or BC Rich bass then the answer is definitely to do it :)
[/quote]

Beat me too it :(

If you actually have him come back again and he starts it again then mention at a part of a track that he should try not playing because it sounds better (or creates a sense of space). If he actually does it then tell him he should do it more often :lol:

I thought I would have slept on it and have calmed down.

I am actually even more livid as I have been replaying last nights events in my head.

In one song (hes also backing voicalist), he was obviously watching my hands, and he screamed down the microphone "Its a C Deb"... I was at that moment playing a G, BECAUSE as we all know, unless you want to spend your life playing root notes, you can actually move around a fret board, and the golden drop down is one fabulous way to make a groove!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and one song where he wasn't familiar, who did he look to to give him chords!!!!!! Yep me!!!!! I reeled them off quickly like a shopping list and then turned to face the drummer..... I swear this man is a complete Ars*hole. I'm going to text the drummer in a bit and ask him what his views were on last night, be rather non commital and see what he comes back with.

I mean who the f*ck does he think he is, strolling in like he owns the place!!!

I have been asked if I would like to add any song to the setlist, what I have said is I would like to learn and master the setlist first (we have a bank of about 30 songs), but I have shared which ones are my favourites from within the setlist that I would like to ensure are included. I think this shows commitment but also shows humility. To turn up with a printed sheet of A4 with 20 songs on it that you would like (basically re-writting our whole set, only 3 songs ARE on the set list) is just complete arrogance.

I know in my heart of hearts I WILL NOT be able to work with this excuse for a human being, but equally, I don't want to be the one who demands his demise from the band.... the rest of the band have been together a year, I've only been there for a month. I'm hoping our lovely lead guitarist will push for him leaving.

And breathe..... although the side of me that sees the irony of the situtaion thinks back to my excited first post about being in the band and several BCers saying "I wonder how long before the first guitarist moan".... well chaps.... 4 weeks :P