Why become a member? ×

Fender CS 1964 Jazz Bass in Sea Foam Green

Old Horse Murphy

After a bit of rationalising my basses, I paid a visit to Coda Music in Stevenage to check out their wonderful selection of Fender Custom Shop Basses (New old stock, Closet Classics and Relics).

I was shown where the basses were, an Ashdown fliptop amp was set up for me (very nice too) and I was told to enjoy myself.

I played pretty much all of the basses ranging from a 51 Reissue Custom Shop, a 62 P bass, a couple of reliced 62 Jazz basses, when I happened upon a pair of New Old Stock 64 Jazzes (one in Sonic Blue and the other in Sea Foam Green). Both had hand-wound pickups made by Abigail Ybarra in them and both were stunning.

I've been a long-time Fender fan, but have always been sceptical about the Custom Shop models and whether they were any better than the US Standards which I adore. I can now confirm that yes, I believe they are better. Well, the 2 I fell in love with were by far the nicest basses I've played.

Anyway, after a bit of to'ing and fro'ing I agreed a swap for the Surf Green Jazz for 2 of my basses. They even threw a set of Flatwounds in to the deal and I left very happy.

This is my first dealing with Coda for quite some time and I can't fault their customer service, knowledge, stock or their willingness to allow potential customers to try out their instruments. If more shops were as accommodating as them I'm sure more people would buy from high street stores.

Anyway, here's the new Jazz. I'm absolutely delighted and can't stop staring at it :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Do the [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]New Old Stock 64 Jazzes come with period correct flat wound strings as standard?[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I ask because I'd like to go and try them, but I can't tell if I like a bass fitted with round wound strings.[/font][/color]

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1343579836' post='1752291']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Do the [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]New Old Stock 64 Jazzes come with period correct flat wound strings as standard?[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I ask because I'd like to go and try them, but I can't tell if I like a bass fitted with round wound strings.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Unfortunately not mate. They come with those horrid Fender Roundwound strings :(

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1343580781' post='1752303']
Unfortunately not mate. They come with those horrid Fender Roundwound strings :(
[/quote]

Why do they do that? - custom build an instrument to be a replica of a vintage modeI and then fit strings that weren't even invented when the original bass was produced.

I wonder how many buyers change them to flats.

Congrats Nick that is one very handsome beast.

I like the customer service in Coda, I've been in a few times and always been welcomed.

I'm going to pay them a visit on tuesday after my visit hospital appointment, it would be daft not to really as the hospital is only about a mile away from them. Maybe I'll leave my wallet at home just in case they still have the sonic blue and I'm in the mood to celebrate :) .

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1343581188' post='1752310']
Why do they do that? - custom build an instrument to be a replica of a vintage modeI and then fit strings that weren't even invented when the original bass was produced.

I wonder how many buyers change them to flats.
[/quote]

I've no idea mate but I for one always change them to flats!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1343581288' post='1752312']
Congrats Nick that is one very handsome beast.

I like the customer service in Coda, I've been in a few times and always been welcomed.

I'm going to pay them a visit on tuesday after my visit hospital appointment, it would be daft not to really as the hospital is only about a mile away from them. Maybe I'll leave my wallet at home just in case they still have the sonic blue and I'm in the mood to celebrate :) .
[/quote]

Go for it Gary. It's a stunner and I'm sure you deserve it ;)

That's just gorgeous Nick.
I was umming and ahhing with letting my FSR Jazz 75RI go for a Custom Shop but all the ones I've tried haven't made me go as weak at the knees as I'd expected. You might have just changed that with this one......good job I'm a good 150 miles from Stevenage.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1343590760' post='1752496']
That's just gorgeous Nick.
I was umming and ahhing with letting my FSR Jazz 75RI go for a Custom Shop but all the ones I've tried haven't made me go as weak at the knees as I'd expected. You might have just changed that with this one......good job I'm a good 150 miles from Stevenage.
[/quote]

IF you decide to head down Mart, let me know and I'll meet you there :)

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1343829085' post='1755895']
[size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][sub]Congratulations - an absolutely beautiful buy (and I'd agree on the quality of the Custom Shop basses - really first rate in my experience)[/sub][/font][/size]
[/quote]

Thanks Loz

I restrung it with a new set of D'Addario Chromes last night and it is simply stunning to play :)