Why become a member? ×

Thinking of switching to flats

Evil Undead

Chromes in particular.

I play all sorts but mainly rock, punk and metal (the good old standard tuning type of metal)

Any disadvantages?

I currently use Elixir 45-105 so I guess if I don't want to adjust my truss rod I should go for 40-100 in the Chromes.

The only reason I'm wanting to switch really is because my frets are wearing already and I haven't had the bass 3 months yet - don't wanna have to either buy a new bass or re-fret in 5 years time :D (I don't even know if it's possible to re-fret a board with a glossy lacquer on it)

Chromes are probably the most roundwound sounding flats I`ve heard/used. Personally, I can`t get on with flats, they just feel "wrong", but there`s no doubting their sound, with the added bonus of staying more true to their original sound for a fair bit longer. Try it out, if you can`t get on with them you`ll be able to sell a used set of flats on here no trouble.

Don't!

You won't get anything like the right sound for the music you're playing and you will find that the damage to your frets won't get any worse, certainly not to the point that they need any work for many years!

I've been regularly gigging a bass with roundwounds for more than ten years and the frets will still be good for many years to come.....

I play mostly Rock and Metal and love my flats. Give 'em a go I say!

Oh, I use Chromes by the way. I've never actually tried any other flats. It took me over 20 years to get around to trying flats and I wish I had done it sooner. Try them and if you don't like them at least you'll know.

Edited by KingBollock

Changed to flats recently after decades of using rounds. I won't be going back. So far I've tried La Bella Deep Talkin' (great) and am currently using Lakland Joe Osborn Signature Flats (great), but haven't tried Chromes yet, so can't comment on them. :)

Edited by discreet

I changed to flats about 6 months ago and haven't looked back. Using chromes at the moment and finding them good.

Not sure about them for punk and metal though, but it's all down to your own preference.

Always found roundwounds lost their sound too quickly, no such problem with flats.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1343417994' post='1750581']
Your frets are wearing down after three months?
What are they made of - butter?
[/quote]

Not really wearing down as such but there are grooves in them already. I don't know what the frets are made out of on this bass

No harm in trying them. Chromes are my favourite when it comes to flats but I like a brighter tone than most of the bassists I know. Definitely dont worry about them in relation to what genre you're playing. If its too dull tweak the eq. If its too bright tweak the eq........................simples.

Fender Flats. They are more roundwound sounding than Chromes, and lower tension, but very "meaty" sounding. Of all the flats I have tried, they are the more versatile to me. If you roll down the volume you get into more "typical" flatwound territory, but if you leave the tone full (on passive instruments) they don't sound out of place in any modern rock/metal, and have a lot of punch. Very nice slap sound too.

Here are some other options. Copy them into you address slot..

The GHS flats range comparison -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5R3rUoU58

and, a variety of string and bass sounds at a click. Scroll down the page to view.

http://www.atkinsonbasses.com/multimedia.html

There may be others on youtube as well.

Balcro.

If you're set on flats then you're going to have to try some.

I've tried all of them over the years and came across Rotos last for some reason. Personally, with a bass fitted with humbuckers they are the be all and end all regarding flats but with an active Fender PJ they're sh!te. I've gone back to rounds with the Fender Deluxe Precision Special Special Something thingy but with my Ibanez Doug Wimbish fitted with soapbars I still use those Roto flats.

Active Ibanez basses also love Ti flats, especially on 6 stringers. Chromes on a Rick are deadly as in they can simulate arthritis within a couple of hours of playing due to the sh"te ergonomics of the bass and high tension of the strings

Seriously though, I gave up on flats until I tried rotos

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1343418983' post='1750611']Not really wearing down as such but there are grooves in them already.[/quote]
I wouldn't worry about that. You're noticing it because the fret wire was (I'm assuming) new. It's like when you first wear a pair of shoes, and look at the soles after a day. Or first drive on a tyre, and look at the tread after a week. But, why go directly from rounds to flats? For one, you'll find the compliance of flats a very different prospect. Why not take a look at ground/half-round wounds first? Some of the play/wear benefits of flats, more of the sound of rounds.

Status flats have less tension, try 'em.

I have them in my Yam BB400s and it sounds really authentic. I play Chili Peppers songs on that bass and they sound great.

Give it a go, if you don't like, then you will know :-)

I'm definitely biased (see my signature) but I've been using a really light weight set of chromes of my P-bass and feel like I've got the best sounds I've ever had. Fat sound but not too bassy and importantly not too heavy on the fingers either - something I've always found a problem with flats is the tension. I'm playing mainly funk and soul though but recently playing some tunes with a pick ( a rare occurrence for me) on a touring theatre show have found them to be bright and still cut through the mix.

Take the plunge and try some but my experience tells me that you'll probably go through several types and manufacturers before you find exactly what you want. I feel outrageously lucky to have found an endorser who makes strings for both instruments that I really dig. Good luck with the search :)