Why become a member? ×

Peter Hook and Joy Division

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1343255862' post='1748046']
Totally agree. But it's good to see other opinions.
[/quote]
+1. It's great to hear people talking and enthusing about stuff I hadn't heard of or enjoyed. Listening through somebody else's ears can really help appreciate something that you wouldn't otherwise.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1343248074' post='1747828']
No offense to fans of Peter Hook and Joy Division, but I just don't get them at all. Can anyone explain?
[/quote]

I can't stand Joy DIvision.
It's not just that I don't like them either, a good band is a good band regardless of whether I like them or not, but I actually think Joy Division are terrible.
They sound (to my ears, at least) like the band you start when you're 15 when you've had a guitar for three weeks and you don't know how to play said guitar or how to write songs. And yet people go on like they're some kind of genius band.

Does not compute with me.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1343290758' post='1748261']
I can't stand Joy DIvision.
It's not just that I don't like them either, a good band is a good band regardless of whether I like them or not, but I actually think Joy Division are terrible.
They sound (to my ears, at least) like the band you start when you're 15 when you've had a guitar for three weeks and you don't know how to play said guitar or how to write songs. And yet people go on like they're some kind of genius band.

Does not compute with me.
[/quote]
I have virtually the opposite opinion. JD to my mind were one of the most important bands to come out of that period. Regards musicianship then no they werent great ( though Morris was a more than competent drummer ) but collectively they were very inventive and "otherworldly". Atrocity Exhibition and the rest of Closer were great songs that had a huge impact on me when I was younger. But like someone said each to his own.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1343250589' post='1747908']
Joy Division, punks very own jazz/fusion.

f***ing awful, always were. Most overrated band to come out of the second, new wave whatever thing punk stuff.
[/quote]
+1 Can't stand Hook's playing but I do like a young bloke who sited him as a big influence (KOL's Jared Followill)

I love Joy Division and the first 2 New Order albums - it all got a bit pop after that.

Lyrically Ian Curtis was a genius IMO - I used to joke that I listened to Joy Division when I needed reassurance that there were others having a harder time than me.
Unknown Pleasures was raw but promising then came Closer, an almost perfect album, a masterpiece.
When Closer came out it was different, cold, disturbing music the like of which had never really been heard - like Neil Young brought into the post punk era...
Joy Division have influenced so many acts that have followed that they probably don't have the same impact on someone listening to them now for the first time.

Joy Division are, to me, the most important band to come from the post punk era.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1343299111' post='1748435']
I love Joy Division and the first 2 New Order albums - it all got a bit pop after that.

Lyrically Ian Curtis was a genius IMO - I used to joke that I listened to Joy Division when I needed reassurance that there were others having a harder time than me.
Unknown Pleasures was raw but promising then came Closer, an almost perfect album, a masterpiece.
When Closer came out it was different, cold, disturbing music the like of which had never really been heard - like Neil Young brought into the post punk era...
Joy Division have influenced so many acts that have followed that they probably don't have the same impact on someone listening to them now for the first time.

Joy Division are, to me, the most important band to come from the post punk era.
[/quote]

I don't often agree with you Twigman, but on this, you are right on the money.
Hooky is why I have a rickenfaker (though not a hondo, I had one, but it was horrible) :)

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1343302355' post='1748512']
Each to their own and all that but I did have the misfortune of catching them at Glastonbury a few years back....
[/quote]
I doubt it.
Joy Division ceased to be in May 1980.

Started my Bass playing 'career' in a JD covers band back in 1982.....

Set my bass playing back for a number of years lol. However, still love em and when New Order finished off with JD covers at their Manchester Apollo gig earlier this year it was sublime.

the perfect album:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S70y1MnJT4M[/media]

Passover track3 - is totally worn out on my vinyl - it is perfection.

and Twenty Four hours is magic

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1343302355' post='1748512']
Each to their own and all that but I did have the misfortune of catching them at Glastonbury a few years back.... On the plus side it was another great excuse to visit the Cider Bus!
[/quote]

You obviously mean New Order and yes I agree I never found them that good a live band - much better in the studio :)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1343250345' post='1747895']
and this. How is this not a memorable riff, even if in the high register? Its not funky but it hits the spot

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMDBppWBOo&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

He has no finesse, a completely naive musical approach, uses a bass in a way it was never intended .. but you know what, he's a bit of a genius in his own f***ed up way. We should greatly respect Hooky as someone who did it in the only way he knew how to, and for truly expressing himself and not trying to be someone he isn't. 99% of us are just being someone else with a titchy little gloss of our own personalities as the cream on the huge bass trifle.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343310954' post='1748741']
He has no finesse, a completely naive musical approach, uses a bass in a way it was never intended .. but you know what, he's a bit of a genius in his own f***ed up way. We should greatly respect Hooky as someone who did it in the only way he knew how to, and for truly expressing himself and not trying to be someone he isn't. 99% of us are just being someone else with a titchy little gloss of our own personalities as the cream on the huge bass trifle.
[/quote]agreed.

I have never been a fan of JD or NO but I do love Hooky's sound and style of playing.

I don't care if others don't rate him as a player, in my eyes (or Ears) Its the people who do not follow the rest of the crowd that do the most interesting things. There is a track called "Know your enemy" by Hybrid where he pops a sublime bass line in that track. I find it mesmerising & it's cool that he has that unique sound & style

I love Joy Division. Another massive influence on me....not so much in style, but in getting the bass audible and upfront.

Part of the reason I own a Ric - I was gutted when I found out Hooky's was a copy!!

New Order, I can take or leave a lot of it - just too 80's for me. First two albums - agree - great stuff on there, but after that, good bits less and less for me!

JD remain great for me because of the lack of rules - it was unique....and Martin Hannett was a total genius. Without him? Unthinkable.

Here's a great piece of JD for y'all....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQoXqsPd7Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQoXqsPd7Y[/url]