Why become a member? ×

Peter Hook and Joy Division

Pete Academy

I think to the people making the outlandish negative statements concerning Joy Division's influence on music are probably barking up the wrong tree. They laid the blueprint for a lot of other bands that came after them.

It's not easy music to get into though, and they are perhaps difficult to like. Ian Curtis had a fine mind and he was a great lyricist, more of a poet actually. Peter Hook is what he is. I wouldn't describe him as a brilliant bass player but as we well know, perfection isn't everything. He's distinct and has had a big influence on a lot of players.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343310954' post='1748741']
He has no finesse, a completely naive musical approach, uses a bass in a way it was never intended .. but you know what, he's a bit of a genius in his own f***ed up way. We should greatly respect Hooky as someone who did it in the only way he knew how to, and for truly expressing himself and not trying to be someone he isn't. 99% of us are just being someone else with a titchy little gloss of our own personalities as the cream on the huge bass trifle.
[/quote]

plus the one

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1343320755' post='1748954']
I love Joy Division. Another massive influence on me....not so much in style, but in getting the bass audible and upfront.

Part of the reason I own a Ric - I was gutted when I found out Hooky's was a copy!!

New Order, I can take or leave a lot of it - just too 80's for me. First two albums - agree - great stuff on there, but after that, good bits less and less for me!

JD remain great for me because of the lack of rules - it was unique....and Martin Hannett was a total genius. Without him? Unthinkable.

Here's a great piece of JD for y'all....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQoXqsPd7Y[/media]
[/quote]

I remember seeing these guys posters on older lads bedroom walls. I always thought Ian Curtis looked so old, with his shirt and tie. I look at his pictures now and he seems just like a boy. So sad he took his own life so young.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1343304999' post='1748582']
the perfect album:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S70y1MnJT4M[/media]

Passover track3 - is totally worn out on my vinyl - it is perfection.

and Twenty Four hours is magic
[/quote]
Saw an interview once where George Michael in his Wham days said that Closer was a "beautiful album" I was like Huh?? George Michael likes JD!!!

• 2 weeks later...