Why become a member? ×

the downside to buying a 'good' bass....

clashcityrocker

So I don't wanna keep going on about it but I really,really rate my EBMM sterling. Iv had her since January and I can't actually fault a single thing. Now this is a good thing but also has its negatives, I want a bass I can use in a punk band I'm in without worrying about light damage so I'm on the hunt, spent hours in the music shop playing loads of different 'cheap' basses,but everything I played was just so 'nothingy' compared to my sterling,even the much loved CV jazz bored me. The sound was nothing to write home about and the weight (compared to the sterling) was heavy,I don't even play my old beastly p bass cuz the neck is massive! I news to open my mind,help me! Has anyone else suffered from this?! I guess I'm lucky really and I should shut up!
Si

Play it. Enjoy it. Gig it.

If it picks up a few dings and marks along the way (which it will), then so be it. It's natural to want to keep your bass as pristine as is humanly possible, and the first will annoy you greatly, but you'll get used to it. The second, third and all the rest will bother you less. Otherwise by a beaten up MM and gig that, using the new one at home and in the studio - but I bet I know which one you'll end up loving the most. :)

Edited by Musky

Reluctantly, I'm in the gig it or go home camp - though I say [i]reluctantly[/i], as I know exactly how you feel. I think there's an old thread on here from when I put a ding in my old Gibson at rehearsal :lol:

But yes, you bought it for the sound, the playability... thus it pretty [i]has[/i] to be that bass in your hands.

I don't know if the new £300 Subs are any good or not.

[quote name='gazhowe' timestamp='1343203085' post='1746824']
+1 to the above comments.
[/quote]

And that one!

Every time you play a gig with your new 'cheap' bass you will think "why am I playing this when I have my lovely MM at home?"

Edited by Conan

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343213405' post='1747043']
Put a ding in it yourself, then it's done - and you can stop worrying about it! :lol:
[/quote]

Chuck Berry did that with his lovely Gibson 335. The mark was in the shape of a fish from the cod family.... He even wrote a song about it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI[/url]

Edited by Conan

Get a beater bass. If its the kind of punk I used to play (bordering on hardcore) it was pure mayhem in the crowd and on stage. I thrashed the hell out of a bass or two and they took it, but they were only £450 basses.

Best bet would be a second hand Sterling or Ray already pre dinged.

Send me the sterling body (via ups and with no padding). I'm moving house soon and if the shipment via ups doesn't wear it in to your liking I can put it through the move with me and won't be precious about it :)

This way you'll get several dings out of the way and won't be able to tell when you do it yourself :D

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1343221917' post='1747262']
Get a beater bass. If its the kind of punk I used to play (bordering on hardcore) it was pure mayhem in the crowd and on stage. I thrashed the hell out of a bass or two and they took it, but they were only £450 basses.

Best bet would be a second hand Sterling or Ray already pre dinged.
[/quote]