Why become a member? ×

the downside to buying a 'good' bass....

clashcityrocker

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1343223580' post='1747294']
[b]Wait![/b]

Just realised... is this really an ahem... "excuse" for buying another bass? If so... go for it, you don't want to scratch your baby!
[/quote]

^ THIS! :lol:
Every year the insurance premium on my custom bass - and therefore the replacement value went up, to the point where they wouldn't insure it outside the house......... and I was sh*t-scared of putting the least ding in it. I was going to loan it for a gig to a pro player, until a roadie says to him "Do you know what it's worth?" - and he very carefully put it back in it's case.

Next step? long-scale Epi EB3.

It's the one on the right (incase you hadn't guessed). this was before the new pots and pickup went in, but this photo is about a 4-6 weeks old, and i have never gigged it. hard to tell from this photo, but there are small dings around the body in various places, but it doesnt really take away from the spectical of it :D

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1344338181' post='1762925']
But spending 1400 quid on your dream bass and then risk it being trashed on a regular basis isn't fun.
[/quote]

But we're not talking about a bass getting 'trashed' are we? To me, that would me being broken beyond repair (or close to it).

Dents, scratches and similar do nothing to harm the playability and if it's such a good bass then who would want to sell it anyway so any reduction in value is irrelevant as the only time it won't be needed anymore is when you're dead.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1344355889' post='1763272']
i like it too, but it has to make room, and im not in a band right now, so i cant really afford to have 3 basses kicking about (picking up another bass tomorow.)

you interested Mcnach?
[/quote]

OLPs always tempt me. I've owned 4, three of them simultaneously, but at the moment my Stingray needs are covered by the Stingray, the SUB and one OLP... still, I think it looks yummy. With a good pickup on and a nice set up they are great basses.

Local music shop, or bike shop. Plus, valuable tip here to all Basschatters, next time you buy a bass, keep the box it comes in. Even if you don`t sell on any of your own basses, chances are the boxes could come in handy for another local Basschatter.

luckily, i work for chain reaction cycles (very big operation) and i saved a box from the crushy at lunchtime. later realised we had a TV box from a while ago that probably would have done.

this is on the marketplace for anyone interested, and a little bit more description on there.