Why become a member? ×

What should be in the box of a new Hartke??

Will Farnell-Smith

I have just bought a Hartke Kilo from guitarguitar.co.uk, and i'm a little edgy as to whether or not its REALLY brand new.....
Basically it arrived in a busted up old LH500 box with a load of tape round it. When I rang up and asked why, they said it was because the original box was too damaged to send it in without risking the amp getting damaged, but to be honest it can't of been much worse than this LH500 box. Also, my friend asked me why the owners manual was a pile of photocopied pages stapled in the corner.

In the box was:
The Kilo
Power Lead
Photocopy-looking manual

Now, I have never bought an amp brand new before so I don't know what is supposed to be with them. I would of expected there to be a guarantee of some kind? If someone could clear up for me exactly what should come with a new amp, it would set my mind at rest!

I wouldn't be impressed. I've had similar treatment in the past from another dealer, with an amp delivered in another manufacturers box, home-made cut out foam inserts to protect it and a photocopied manual. The product was advertised as new in stock, and I questioned what I had received.

If you aren't happy with this I'd press for a better answer, and perhaps threaten to contact the manufacturer - I'm sure Hartke would take notice of their brand new premium product being sold like this.

Geoff

That's exactly how mine arrived. In the wrong box with cut out polystyrene strips down each side. When I phoned them they said that they'd had it out in the shop to test it before they sent it, but aren't they tested by the manufacturer? I'm thinking that it's an ex demo. I'm leaning towards telling them to send me one in its original box or have it back and ill get one from elsewhere.

There's no way that Hartke would send out a photocopied manual, Larry Hartke is very proud of his products and his customer service, I imagine he would be pretty peev'd at these guys clearly selling ex-demo, refurb, or secondhand gear "as new".
You could dob them into Hartke and see what happens, but I reckon that could take a while.

I've had very mixed experiences with GuitarGuitar, at least in store anyway, the Epsom one is seriously awesome, but I was treated very rudely in the Edinburgh one a while back, waited over an hour, while the shop wasn't even busy, to get a trade in value on a mint Trace Elliot combo, only for it to be £200 less than the market value, and what I eventually sold it for elsewhere.

I'd send it back and order one from somewhere else, I'd probably recount the experience to Hartke too, take some photos before you send it back.

Best of luck mate,

Eude

Yup, a new Kilo comes in a sealed white box inside of a sealed brown packing box. You'll get a power lead and a manual in a sealed plastic bag. The amplifier should also be in a sealed plastic bag. The packing on Larry's kit is very substantial too.

Epson GuitarGuitar i jave heard great things about and their staff at LBGS were friendly and helpful. (not sure if that store is involvedwith the webshop though??) But any shop selling ex-demo as has to advertise it as 'used'. I know eBay have come down pretty hard on companies that try to flog ex-demo as new on their site. Isn't in in contravention of consumer law?

Oh and if you wanna talk to Larry Hartke personally, you'll find the man himself on Facebook! I chat to him often!

Yeah they've clearly tried ripping you off, it's not new. I would demand a partial refund, and/or or a replacement at their expense. And yes I would notify Hartke too, this sort of behaviour could give them a bad name and will surely piss them off!

This is [i]well[/i] taking the piss. I'm sorry, If I paid almost £700 for something if it got sent in a box that looked like it'd been pulled from a tramp's bottom and the shop fed me some line of BS, I'd imagine I'd be asking for at least a 15% refund or I'd be contacting the manufacturer or head distributor. Good luck with continuing to stock Hartke products after that Guitar Guitar. It's not just the lie you're getting fed it's also, just say for example that you don't like it after a few months, you can't sell it as saying you have the original box/manual and all that can you? Just a point.

I can only speak from experience that although I've never been to the Epsom one, I was in the one in Glasgow about 6 months ago and they were absolute tools of the first order and actually took umbridge at the fact I wanted to try a bass that was (shock/horror!!) more than £800!!

Iv since been in touch with them again and they were hesitant to answer when I suggested it was an ex demo. They also tried to tell me that Hartke "do not provide manuals with their UK stock as it is too expensive to do so". Clearly they're BSing.

They're taking it back tomorrow anyway, and I'll be sending a message to Larry with photos of how his new flagship is being presented by guitarguitar.

If you pay for something advertised new it should be new and that includes the box. Otherwise it should be sold as refurbished or whatever. I've bought some refurbished items recently that were new but described refurbished because the box was damaged or had been returned by a previous owner etc.

I'd send it back and demand new or else go elsewhere for it.

[quote name='Will Farnell-Smith' timestamp='1342013804' post='1728069']
Iv since been in touch with them again and they were hesitant to answer when I suggested it was an ex demo. They also tried to tell me that Hartke "do not provide manuals with their UK stock as it is too expensive to do so". Clearly they're BSing.

They're taking it back tomorrow anyway, and I'll be sending a message to Larry with photos of how his new flagship is being presented by guitarguitar.
[/quote]

Good result mate, take your business somewhere else, they're clearly not worthy of it!

Eude

Like everyone says send it back or give them a call and tell them about your concerns. I bought a Fender TV15 from GAK which looked as if it was B or demo stock (they didn't state it was on the website). I didn't mind because I got it at a great price. But if I had paid full price I would have been mightily pissed off.

[quote name='Will Farnell-Smith' timestamp='1342013804' post='1728069']
Iv since been in touch with them again and they were hesitant to answer when I suggested it was an ex demo. [b]They also tried to tell me that Hartke "do not provide manuals with their UK stock as it is too expensive to do so". Clearly they're BSing.[/b]

[/quote]

Yes, that is utter ball-hooks - As it has already been said, Larry prides himself on his customer service and that includes the packing of goods and the no-nonsense manuals supplied with all the kit.

Definitely let him know - he'll probably be in touch with Hartke UK (Who are also very awesome too). - Infact, Hartke UK pop in on here from time to time!

Smaller shops may only buy single units at a time, so if they put them on display they have a responsibility to look after them and keep all the original packaging. However I wouldn't have thought this would apply to Guitarguitar.

Anything that's clearly had a fair bit of use and/or comes in a battered old box with no real manual should certainly be advertised and priced as such.

Edited by danhkr

So to avoid anyconfusion I have just taken a (bad) photo of new LH1000 so you can see how they are shipped from us.

As you can see we have a brown outer carton (often thrown away by the store),
This is followed by the Inner Carton that is printed with images , spec etc for display should it be required by the store/outlet,
You then have the white polystyrene end pieces to support the head in the box and the head itself is then sealed in a heavy duty polythene bag.
In addition to that you have a manual (wahoo!) and a power cable.
The tape used by the factory is clear so any change to this suggest the unit has been opened although bear in mind the amp may not have been used so it could be brand new.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

[attachment=113038:HALH1000_Packaging.jpg]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Gareth Underwood
Samson and Hartke Brand Manager[/b]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My experience with GuitarGuitar is poor. I have contacted Roger at Sadowsky about the ex-demo basses that were being sold for full whack (they had been hung up for at least 18 months) and the fact they didn't want to let me order something not in stock.

The same happened with a few Lakland basses I tried to buy and just got what can only be described as NOS, and the packing was atrocious.

The Hartke has been ON DISPLAY and USED. They owe you ALL of your money back, all of it. Don't let them make out you have to pay return postage.

It's ex demo with the box, so it need selling upto 25% less than it should be.

I suggest asking them to supply a brand new sealed unit, at a discount. If they don't want to play ball, speak to Gareth above and Trading Standards. It is illegal to sell goods that are clearly used (especially with the proper boxes and kit) as new stock.

GuitarGuitar are becoming huge, but if they carry on like this, they will lose a lot sales off this forum.

I hope they see this thread and apologise. Maybe someone should alert them to it?

[quote name='HartkeUK' timestamp='1342194209' post='1731396']
So to avoid anyconfusion I have just taken a (bad) photo of new LH1000 so you can see how they are shipped from us.

As you can see we have a brown outer carton (often thrown away by the store),
This is followed by the Inner Carton that is printed with images , spec etc for display should it be required by the store/outlet,
You then have the white polystyrene end pieces to support the head in the box and the head itself is then sealed in a heavy duty polythene bag.
In addition to that you have a manual (wahoo!) and a power cable.
The tape used by the factory is clear so any change to this suggest the unit has been opened although bear in mind the amp may not have been used so it could be brand new.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

[attachment=113038:HALH1000_Packaging.jpg]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Gareth Underwood
Samson and Hartke Brand Manager[/b]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/quote]

This is what brilliant customer service looks like. Well done Hartke UK!

I recently had a similar issue with SoundsLive, they sent me out a used MiBass 220, when I had ordered a brand new one.

They blamed Ashdown for the mistake(!) and I was told that they would send out a new replacement one for £20 discount, didnt tell me that they were not going to refund me the £25 I paid to get the original one delivered on a Saturday.

I told them that wasn't on, got an email from a director stating that I was being un-reasonable, so I cancelled the order and got a full refund.

Never had a problem with them prior to this, but would not go back to Soundslive again.