Why become a member? ×

GAS ... when do you give in to it?

debwilliams

I need help ... Being a very driven, focused and determined person I am no stranger to making decisions about seeing something I want and going out to get it. I've seen Precisely what I want but cannot justify it any way. This is making me want it even more! HELP!!!!!!

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1341315767' post='1716767']
I need help ... Being a very driven, focused and determined person I am no stranger to making decisions about seeing something I want and going out to get it. I've seen [color=#ff0000]Precisely [/color]what I want but cannot justify it any way. This is making me want it even more! HELP!!!!!!
[/quote]

Would this be the clue by any chance?

ask yourself the following questions...
1) can I afford it
2) If I buy it and end up selling it, is the loss in buying price/selling price worth it.
3) will it give me something I can't already do. i.e. you have a blue jazz, is a red jazz going to give you anything extra, a P, or a 6 string fretless will.
4) If I buy it will this mean other gear will not be used and can be sold
5) do i really want it, do I know this- or do I think I do? e.g. It took me a lot of jazz basses to find out they were not for me.
6) am I being daft. e.g. I keep looking at jazz basses... but know that finding one better than the basses I have now is not going to happen
7) If I do have the money. What would I do with it else wise if it doesn't go on the bass? Sometimes eating or holidays are more important than basses. Or even a decent amp.
8) if there is no justification for having this, but can afford it (1) and the resale price wouldn't loose me much (2) is it worth just going for it? Example... you buy the bass secondhand, you are happy. If you sell it on 2 years later 'cos, well you don't need the thing, and loose £120 on relative values/postage/extra strings etc is borrowing the bass for £5 a month worth it.
9) new things don't make you a better player.

and if you don't have an example of it... it's worth trying it.

I think there is a list of basses that everyone should have/try for a while.
A P,
A J
a ray
and a T40*
would be on my 'vital' to have at some point. even if you realise you prefer something else... well you found that out.

*yes possibly the odd one out on my short list... but what basses. :)

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1341316455' post='1716798']
I have absolutely no justification other than "I want that" .... It's just lust. Pure and simple. A strong driver all the same.
[/quote]

Life's too short. If you have the cash and it will make you happy, buy it.

And, let us know what it is, we're nosy!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341316576' post='1716801']
ask yourself the following questions...
1) can I afford it
2) If I buy it and end up selling it, is the loss in buying price/selling price worth it.
3) will it give me something I can't already do. i.e. you have a blue jazz, is a red jazz going to give you anything extra, a P, or a 6 string fretless will.
4) If I buy it will this mean other gear will not be used and can be sold
5) do i really want it, do I know this- or do I think I do? e.g. It took me a lot of jazz basses to find out they were not for me.
6) am I being daft. e.g. I keep looking at jazz basses... but know that finding one better than the basses I have now is not going to happen
7) If I do have the money. What would I do with it else wise if it doesn't go on the bass? Sometimes eating or holidays are more important than basses. Or even a decent amp.
8) if there is no justification for having this, but can afford it (1) and the resale price wouldn't loose me much (2) is it worth just going for it? Example... you buy the bass secondhand, you are happy. If you sell it on 2 years later 'cos, well you don't need the thing, and loose £120 on relative values/postage/extra strings etc is borrowing the bass for £5 a month worth it.
9) new things don't make you a better player.
[/quote]

Agreed, although with reference to point 9, a new instrument can inspire you to play new things or old things in a new way. So maybe it can make you a better player. :)

Whatever, life is short, if you want it and are not going in to debt for it then get it and enjoy a short period of GAS free living. <_<

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1341318696' post='1716864']
I recently had a similar experience.

GAS Me "I want it!"
Sensible Me "Of course, it's lovely, but what do you want it for?"
GAS Me " .... errrr"
Sensible Me "See. You'll thank me later."
[/quote]

What is this "Sensible" that you speak of?

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1341316455' post='1716798']
I have absolutely no justification other than "I want that" .... It's just lust. Pure and simple. A strong driver all the same.
[/quote]

Told ya it would happen if you hung around long enough ;-)

Dont resist it, you cant fight the inevitable lol..

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1341316944' post='1716822']
Agreed, although with reference to point 9, a new instrument can inspire you to play new things or old things in a new way. So maybe it can make you a better player. :)

Whatever, life is short, if you want it and are not going in to debt for it then get it and enjoy a short period of GAS free living. <_<
[/quote]
[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1341316914' post='1716817']
They don't, and they do.

A new instrument can make things easier to play & in turn makes what you play sound better. They can also re ignite a spark of interest in something and make you want to do something different or practice harder. So indirectly, they can make you play 'better'.
[/quote]

I wouldn't disagree that new things can improve/make things easier etc

but I think the desire for new things we see in GAS is separate issue. If it started with what new thing will improve my playing we would end up wanting different things to what we do. Like for instance... blocks and binding- look cool- do they effect playing? you can't roll the edge of a neck with binding!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341319092' post='1716879']
This is clearly rubbish! :lol:
[/quote]

I agree, it's a vicious rumour that should banned on Basschat. If that sort of idea gets a hold what the hell would happen to the for sale forums!!???

:)