Why become a member? ×

Massive wake up call forces trade...

Evil Undead

Due to the death of a beloved pet, along with the vet bills (which of course don't disappear if the animal doesn't make it), I've had a massive wake up call, and realised that I'm a bassist who doesn't know theory and plays covers in pubs, and I don't need an MIA Fender to do that with.

So I'd like to trade my 2011 MIA Fender Precision for a Squier Matt Freeman in vintage white plus the relevant amount of cash my way. Trade value £950 so I'd be looking for the Squier plus £650.

Pics here. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179045-wanna-show-off-my-pride-and-joy/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179045-wanna-show-off-my-pride-and-joy/[/url]

It is all stock except the pickguard (I replaced the tort one with a genuine Fender black one) and the strings which are Elixir Nanoweb. Comes with the Fender branded SKB hard case and the tags/leaftlets etc. I bought it brand new and haven't had it long.

This is the model with graphite rods to strengthen the neck, and the 60th anniversary neck plate. Has been set up by myself for a ridiculously low action (thin shim in the neck which affects nothing except gives it incredible playability).

8.5 lbs.

I'm gutted to be moving it on, but I've come to realise that some things are more important.

I'm in Gloucester but can meet halfway within reason.

Edited by Evil Undead

Horrid time when pets pass on. Commiserations.

Just be sure your trading down because it's essential. It's easy to do but hard to recover from if in 6 weeks you begin regretting the move. Money comes and goes, basses don't.

Of course you need an MIA! They are bloody lovely.

Good luck anyway

Col

Edited by Voodoosnake

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1341071070' post='1713513']

Just be sure your trading down because it's essential. It's easy to do but hard to recover from if in 6 weeks you begin regretting the move. Money comes and goes, basses don't.

[/quote]

Wise words ,and I am sorry about your loss .

You have a fantastic looking bass there

Very sorry to hear this.

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if
I lost my dog.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1341069384' post='1713479']
I'm a bassist who doesn't know theory and plays covers in pubs, and I don't need an MIA Fender to do that with.
[/quote]

Don't be so hard on yourself. You don't need to be a graduate of music to warrant owning a quality instrument. Anybody who's out there playing, putting the work in, needs a tool that's fit for the job, and I consider the MIA precision to be the perfect gigging bass. Jesus how many people out there own an MIA precision (or more expensive/ vintage basses) and never take them out the house?! If you're playing it live so others can hear it then that's justification enough.

It's a shame you have to sell, but you definitely deserve to own that bass.

Bass chat whip-round?

Basschat whip-round ?? I'm in !
We managed to save our little Mutt but it was a horrible experience nearly loosing her and worse thinking that were going to.
We were very lucky in that my Mother In Law gave us some money for the vet bill otherwise I was going to have to part with some gear to pay it. Again, I feel for you, it's a horrible thing.
Let's get the ball rolling on this one guys.
B)
You deserve to have a nice instrument to play so try to keep your thoughts positive.

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1341071070' post='1713513']
Horrid time when pets pass on. Commiserations.

Of course you need an MIA! They are bloody lovely.

Good luck anyway
Cant go wrong with a squier-squire-great build quality-I have two of em, (fender????)naw try a squier- youll hardly notice the diff,especially the vmjazz 75's.imo

Col
[/quote]Except for our Amber-15yo Heinz 57 only wakes up when the cat comes in..and then its an eway bet if she opens her eyes

So sorry to hear about what's happened Mel. Totally support all that's been said here that you absolutely deserve your bass, we all deserve nice things that's as much theory as you need. I hope you can find another solution. Most vets will let you pay off your bill every month, I've done this at times. Give it a try maybe?

Mel, sorry to hear about your loss but you need to hold onto that MIA, I remember how chuffed you were when you got it. Of course you're good enough to own it.......you're gigging and bringing people enjoyment. That's justification enough. You hang in there girl :)

I feel for you...I had to get my Lab put to sleep on wedensday. He lived to the rip old age of 22 and I had him for all of those years... It's like loosing a member of your family. Time is a great healer you will get over it. But you will forever regret getting rid of a bass you love... I am talking from experience of this also..if you enjoy it keep it!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1341126967' post='1713979']
:( Sorry for the loss of your pet, really feel for you.
[/quote]

I second this wholeheartedly. We lost our beloved cat last year to cancer and it quite frankly knocked the heart out of me. My thoughts are with you.

I'd just like to add my condolences too Mel. I would just let the dust settle for as long as you can & don't make any rash decisions just yet. Speak to the vet & see what can be agreed.

All the best
Steve

Completely agree with PURPOLARIS and cameltoe. You don't have to justify owning it! Hang on to it unless there really is no other way. You are not going to feel any better if you lose the Fender as well. Good luck to you!

Edited by alyctes

As the owner of an 18 year old moggy (imaginatively called 'Tiger') who's on his last legs, I know how rotten you're feeling. Hang on in there...it gets better and I guarantee you'd regret losing your Bass too. You don't need to be Jamerson to own a nice Bass. If you play it and enjoy it, that's enough. I'm in for the whip round too....Pet owning Bassists for the win!

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1341147113' post='1714252']
Completely agree with PURPOLARIS and cameltoe. You don't have to justify owning it! Hang on to it unless there really is no other way. You are not going to feel any better if you lose the Fender as well. Good luck to you!
[/quote]
This.

Hang in there. Don't do anything rash. Am also watery-eyed pet owner and have had to do the awful, final deed on a couple occasions in the past. It hurts, but don't hurt yourself twice. Keep the Fender, Hun.

Am also up for the whip round.

Edited by mckendrick