Why become a member? ×

Which inspires you?

norvegicusbass

Why does this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJpeHeOIGs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJpeHeOIGs[/url] inspire me less than this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zFsy9VIdM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zFsy9VIdM[/url] ?
I mean I really admire the skill involved in the first video and wish I had a tenth of that guys talent but for some reason at a gut level it was the kind of bass playing exemplified by the latter video that made me want to pick up the bass. Like I say I am not knocking the lad in the first video and I am sure he could really lay down a low end groove but however versatile an instrument the bass is I like it to sound bassy and not like a lead guitar

To each their own, when it comes to playing (especially recently) I try and mess around with chords a lot, similar to the first video (obviously not as good though!).

It depends on the context of the song and what you hope to achieve from your playing. Sometimes I prefer simplicity if it's called for.

The first video inspires me in a way that makes me think I can study bass until the day I die and I still won't be able to achieve everything it is capable of, so I will always have something to strive towards.

However, the second video is what made me want to be a bassist, to lay down some hearty low grooves :D

Both are inspiring - T Weymouth inspires me to play bass, great steady holding down the low end rhythm.

The other guy inspires me to play the guitar. Not knocking him though, as I sometimes play lead-lines on my bass too, but only for fun, never as "serious" bass-playing. I just see what he is doing as guitar work. He`s very good at it though, no criticism of ability here, just personal preference on style.

I know this is a crude and bombastic personal view but the first vid is similar to me to those of the multi-string tapping we see. Mostly done alone. I know someone will post a vid of a band with someone playing like this but, mostly I feel 'needs to get out more' rather than inspired.

The concentration on Tina's face and the almost involuntary movement's of her body are not there because of the technical wonder she is performing but commitment to the responsibility to maintain the groove. Duck Dunn was the same and also why I find Norman W-R so compelling. This inspires me no end and I love to see it.

This has inspired me to make my first post....I have just found out that I have been a member since last August!
Tina for me ....I think the first guy is amazing,but i just do not see the point of it ......you might as well just use a guitar and leave the bass line to somebody who knows how to use it ...John Paul Jones perhaps? ;)

Actually listening to the guy 'tapping' Stairway to Heaven aggravates me because I hear a lot of missing bass line, what's the point of trying to be clever - on a bass - & not playing the bass part 'properly' (as I expect to hear it). I have to say Fret w***er extraordinaire :P

Its an interesting point. What 'grabs' you when you first decide to play vs what holds your attention and inspires you to explore your instrument. I guess very few people get into bass playing by hearing the acrobats like Manring, Wooten etc and most hear players like Weymouth long before any virtuoso players get a look in.

I guess its in some folk's nature to want to lift up the bonnet and look at what is underneath whilst others are happy to drive with their elbow out of the window and the bass thhumpin'. Guess it depends what you are in it for but it is undoubtedly the case that the players who master the more popular genres are higher profile/bigger earners than the explorers. Its the same in Art (Geiger or Munsch), Literature (King or Isherwood), Comedy, Dance...