Why become a member? ×

What happens when 2 female bass chatters meet for a coffee......

SpaceChick

..... So, Deb Williams and myself arranged a "mini meet" yesterday for a coffee and a chat about basses. We'd never met each other before, but we're local to each other, and thought it would be nice to meet.

So, at 2pm we meet at a Costa Coffee, have a chat, talk basses, talk music... Then Deb said how she was gutted she hadn't seen Brit Floyd on their tour... I said I'd seen them in Cardiff and they were awesome. Deb said that they were in Shrewsbury that night.

We hatched a plan! We checked on the website... Tickets were available.

So within an hour of meeting we were planning a 225 mile round trip road trip there and then.

Deb drove to mine, we took my car, and (much to my OHs surprise) to Shrewsbury we went.

The gig was amazing. I do love Ian Cattell on bass though! He had three basses he played in the show, a precision bass, a 5 string and a rather lovely 4 string fretless :P Deb has taken photos ;)

We had a great time, although the ride home was a little eventful, first I took a wrong turn, and the satnav redirected us down a single track road which was barely more than a dirt track... Then I got stopped by the police for speeding... Then we had to play 'avoid the sheep' whilst driving over the Brecon beacons in the fog!

We laughed all day and had a fab time.

Just call us the new forum "Thelma and Louise".

I certainly didn't think when I got up yesterday morning that I would be going on a 2 and a half hour drive each way with a person I'd never met before, to see a fabulous band and spend hours talking basses!!!

No doubt Deb will share her stories later, but we thought you guys would appreciate our first "mini meet".... Whoever said that bassists were impulsive people weren't wrong :D

Edited by SpaceChick

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1340620220' post='1706975']
[i]Nice one - better than most blokes stories that go a little like -" fancy a pint " & then get pissed, end up fighting/having man-hugs.Or is that just me!!![/i]
[/quote]

LOL not just you - believe this non-drinker who's seen it all :lol:

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1340620277' post='1706977']
YAY!! Jealous. Seashell!!! Where are you? We need another meetup-cum-adventure and make this a long-running thread of awesomeness :)
*goes off to check out the websites of West London venues for cool gigs* :D
[/quote]

Bluejay, you have me confused, I'm Space Chick, not Seashell and live in South Wales, so websites need to be very far west of London! ;)

It was utterly brilliant,a "laughed all day / could't make it up" kind of road trip. Introducing Debs to Marcus Miller was another high spot.

We do have a possible entry for the basschat famous quotes thread ... we were driving home talking about the virtues of fretless basses & I said that I'd like one. Debs felt she liked the security of frets to mark positions etc. I said I thought Id be ok having played double bass but that to help me I used a single piece of sellotape under my G string :ph34r: :lol: :lol: . Needless to say we did laugh just more than a bit .

Rubbish bit is that I had 4 hrs sleep and I'm in work, someone else isn't AND either I need a new bass or hand transplants :blink:

Cheers for a fantastic day and night.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1340622948' post='1707037']
Bluejay, you have me confused, I'm Space Chick, not Seashell and live in South Wales, so websites need to be very far west of London! ;)
[/quote]

No, Don't worry, I did mean to call out to Shelley in a deliberately over-dramatic way. I think what you girls started is awesome and should be continued! Shelley regularly travels to the west of London, so we could copy you girls and go to a gig as well. Not to mention that all of us could meet up at some point! :)

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1340623363' post='1707057']

No, Don't worry, I did mean to call out to Shelley in a deliberately over-dramatic way. I think what you girls started is awesome and should be continued! Shelley regularly travels to the west of London, so we could copy you girls and go to a gig as well. Not to mention that all of us could meet up at some point! :)
[/quote]

Ah I see.... Yep, I strongly recommend a road trip... Hope you and Shelley get to have one :D

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1340623118' post='1707044']
I used a single piece of sellotape under my G string :ph34r: :lol: :lol: . Needless to say we did laugh just more than a bit .

Cheers for a fantastic day and night.
[/quote]

I did wonder if you'd share the Sellotape story :P I'm still laughing about it now.

Back atcha Matey, fabulous day and night :D

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1340623118' post='1707044']
I said I thought Id be ok having played double bass but that to help me I used a single piece of sellotape under my G string :ph34r: :lol: :lol: . Needless to say we did laugh just more than a bit .

[/quote]
That has to be one of the funniest statements I've heard in a long time. Brilliant and made my day girls. Thanks :lol: :tatice_03:
Dave

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1340620398' post='1706983']
LOL not just you - believe this non-drinker who's seen it all :lol:
[/quote]

Too true - as an aside we had a do for my daughter's 21st on Saturday and the only 2 non-drinkers( my elderly uncle and not so elderly mother-in-law) had a massive barny about gay marriage! :rolleyes: