Why become a member? ×

Which basses have you never played ?

far0n

Never played:
- Music Man Bongo
- RockBass Corvette
- Hohner B2B

My fingers have moved the wires on them though, as well as the wires on shitloads of basses through the years. I feel I must be world famous by now for really trying, through several decennia, to get close encounters of the fourth kind with basses that cross my path.

I've just realised I've never played:
a fender precision (played plenty of cheapo chinese copies)
any rickenbacker
any musicman
any ibanez
Any Gibson or epi bass
probably every conceivable boutique or custom bass.

I'm interested in trying others but not really had the opportunity I suppose and the fact I've owned my Mex Jazz bass for almost 12 years now and not felt comfortable with anything else. that old chestnut if it aint broke, don't fix it I guess!

There's a load of Gibsons I haven't played that I'd like to try: vintage EB1,2 & 3, G3, Grabber, Victory. I'd like to play a 70s Ripper with stock electrics, both of mine had been interfered with at some point and I'd like to see how close I've got to putting them right. 60s Fender Precision. Something Lakland. Top end Spector. And I hope I wouldn't want to own any of them as a result. :(

Blimely! There are loads, would be easier just to list the ones I have.

Westone Spectrum II
Hohner B2A
Ibanez SR300
Fender Mex P
Vintage Stingray Copy (last night as it 'appens)
Harley Benton 6 string thing
Yamaha rbx170
P bass copy, unknown parents

That's it, any other basses you can mention I haven't played :)

Tough call :)

Ones that spring to mind are:

Musicman Bongo
Gibson Thunderbird
Fender Mustang & Coronado
Kramer aluminium neck
Vigier
Marleaux
Jerzy Drozd
GMR
Mayonnes
Linc Luthier
Valenti
Carl Thompson
Lowend
Elrick
Groove Tools
Human Base
Lightwave
Reverend
Carvin
Brubaker
Kinal
Rick Turner

Must be plenty more, lol

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1339629524' post='1691869']
Not a glamour post, and there are thousands I've never tried, but... The fancier Ibanez SRs just look like loads of fun and sound great.

I'd love a go - but would I be a brand snob... ?
[/quote]

I've never really played many 'boutique' basses (or basses in general for that matter! But I've played a fair amount of the higher end SR's and I really enjoyed them!

EBMM Bongo (Just for the preamp)
Sandberg
Overwater
Ibanez SR (The higher end ones, i've tried a few of the 5xx and 7xx which were amazing)
Sadowsky
Brubaker
Lakland
G&L
Schecter
Dean Eric Bass

And a few more that i cannot be bothered searching my brain for at the moment.

Liam

On the basis that the factual answer is shed loads; were the OP's question slightly more focussed I think if I were to pick three the list would be along the lines of:

A bass made in the year of my birth (1960)
Something with fanned frets
An upright electric bass

Not very exciting, but there you go.

In terms of makes /models, probably not that many, relatively speaking. I've spent the last 30+ years trying to play every bass I can get my hands on and thus have played an awful lot. Some that I haven't played that immediately spring to mind are:

AC
Celinder
Skjold
GMR
GW
Letts
Jim Fleeting (?)
Laurus
Xotic
Sue Ryder
Adamovic
Some of the various modern cheaper Fender copies (Vintage etc)

Obviously there will be some I'm not familiar with and within every make there may be models I haven't played (for instance whilst I've played many different Ibanez basses - probably a couple of dozen - I certainly haven't played every model they've ever made. Same goes for Alembic, BC Rich etc etc etc). I probably play far less instruments now than historically as I tend to have a pretty good idea of what really isn't going to work; I used to be far more inclined to persevere. Now I know that something Jazz-shaped for instance just doesn't suit me (with the possible excpetion of the Aerodyne). This is one of the reasons AC and Celinder make my list because they've only come into being relatively recently, after the point where I decided that type of bass wasn't likely to work for me.