Why become a member? ×

Covers bands "openers" what do you start with?

witterth

If we need to start slowly, we will use the first number as a feeler/soundcheck-check with something like 'Come together'
We might up it a bit with an Elbow number, 'Grounds for divorce' or if it is more of a show that we need to jump right into,
'Chain gang' or something of that pace.

Depends if I'm stalling for more folks to arrive ;)
If its a bit dead I'll chuck away a few spare songs 'The Look' by roxette springs to mind.
I try to never play the same set twice but our most prolific set opener is 'Wherever Whenever' by shakira, into 'Holding out for a hero' into 'hungry like the wolf'.
then again our set is a little different to most ;)

[quote name='Jambo10' timestamp='1337546109' post='1661839']
If it's just a full on rock kinda gig, we start with Queen's fast rock version of We Will Rock You
[/quote]

Used to play this very version as an opener with one of my old bands - quite possibly the best show starter ever devised. The only problem being, where do you go from there?! :)

Our show starts like this...... House lights & music down, roadie fires up the smoke machine, turns up the FOH sliders & plays our intro (haunting celtic music/ ww2 air raid siren) during which we take our places. Drummer counts 4 then we hit the first chord of Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak as the lights go on flood!

We open with Copperhead Road, and the other week at a posh wedding at the Lowry Hotel in Salford, as the first notes of the pipes intro echoed around the room, a bloke in a kilt wandered across the deserted dance floor, oblivious to us falling about laughing as the singer intoned "If you play it, they will come..."

I'm playing with a soul/funk outfit at the mo and i'm loving opening with Average White Band's 'Pick up the pieces'...then the vocalist comes on, or often we may open with Sam & Daves 'Hold on i'm coming'...depending on the venue really.

We open with The Chain (all of it!) for our more "classic rock" audiences, and Under the Bridge for the 2nd set or Cochise/Slither for our "heavier" sets, with Watching You by Kiss (although we play the Monkey3 version) for the 2nd set.