Why become a member? ×

Kit Share - General Opinions?

Cat Burrito

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1337330214' post='1658088']
The format over here is frequently that the support bands will use the headline band's cabs with their own heads so you see both sides of the coin.
[/quote]

So you're quite happy about plugging your nice amp into someone else's completely unknown cabs?

How do you know that they are even going to be the right impedance for your head?

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1337331227' post='1658117']
.... don't mind letting people use my cab but not my head. That's way easier to break than the cab....
[/quote]

I don't understand this line of thought. A cab is far easier to break than an amp.

What is there to break on an amp even if you turn it up to 11? A cab on the other hand can blow speakers at the drop of a hat if misused.

I'll usually be willing to share stuff if it's arranged beforehand and people aren't taking the piss, although there is the odd situation where I wouldn't. In a lot of multi-band gigs in small venues, it would be impractical to have three separate bass rigs and drum kits as there's very little changeover time between bands and often nowhere to store kit.
I usually have a strip of tape across the top of my amp labelled "NO DRINKS ON THE AMP, THANKS" which seems to get the message across. It surprises me how many musicians need help figuring out how to operate things though, especially where valve amps are involved. I do see some bad manners happening too, like a band who had used my bass rig and another bands drum kit (at a gig with pre-agreed gear sharing) refusing to let other bands use their guitar amp, forcing them to use the venues 15 watt solid state Behringer! Or the band I shared a bill with who used not only my amp but my guitar for two gigs and didn't buy me a drink...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337252893' post='1657799']
My attitude now is that I won't plug my amp into unknown speakers and similarly I won't allow anyone to use their amp with my cabs. You can use my whole rig if you ask in advance or bring your own instead.
[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1337334897' post='1658245']
A cab is far easier to break than an amp.

What is there to break on an amp even if you turn it up to 11? A cab on the other hand can blow speakers at the drop of a hat if misused.
[/quote]

These. All or nothing, and only if agreed in advance.

To be blunt, it is so rare to have two bands playing at a jazz gig.....

I did lend my Trace Eliot stack to both Miroslav Vitous and Arild Anderson once. Trouble is, it was before I knew who they were :lol: Talk about a missed opportunity.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337334847' post='1658244']
So you're quite happy about plugging your nice amp into someone else's completely unknown cabs?

How do you know that they are even going to be the right impedance for your head?
[/quote]I check the label on the back ;)

there's 3 on the jazz gig I'm doing tonight !!

I letting one of the acts (Claudio Signorile) use my rig - I was politely asked in advance, he's flying in from Italy so can't bring his own, and is doing a solo bass (with drums) set so I'm confident it won't get abused and I'll be on hand anyway.

I'm normally not fussed about sharing my rig as long as people appreciate it - I play a couple of jam sessions each week so I have to be really !! :-)

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1337336571' post='1658292']
I check the label on the back ;)
[/quote]

Most of the venues we play at it's nearly impossible to see anything written on the back of a cab. Also out of all my cabs only the EBS ones have the impedance marked anywhere on them (in tiny lettering in the recessed area for the sockets).

Besides just because the impedance is marked on the cab doesn't mean that's actually what the speakers inside are.

I use the light on my phone to illuminate the back. Most cabs I've found labelled, the only one which wasn't was an old mono Marshall 4x12 but they're usually 16ohm.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up. We often played four band shows. Take seven or eight guitarists with a 4x12 each and another four bass cabs and you start running out of room for everyone else.

Edited by Doctor J

As a general rule of thumb, if a band we're playing with goes to the trouble of contacting me to ask prior to the gig, I have no problem with lending out my rig.

I hate though when a band will wait until they're about to soundcheck and then ask if it's ok to use the amp. Why turn up to a gig without an amp unless you've specifically been told a backline is provided? Basically what your saying is 'can i use your rig or else you're going to prevent the band from being able to play' which makes me feel like a right bastard. And then typically they'll bugger off as soon as they've played and not even bother to watch any of the other bands.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337334655' post='1658234']
the majority of bands we play with a punk/psychobilly who have a pretty "energetic" on-stage presence. Never had any trouble. Smiles and handshakes all round.
[/quote]

In my experience it's these types of bands that generally are a lot more respectful and friendly to each other on all levels. Sweeping generalisation alert: Obviously there are exceptions, but a lot of indie type bands I've played with have an arrogant 'us against them' kind of attitude and tend to be the biggest culprits when it comes to expecting everyone else to provide gear for them.

I take my rig to pretty much every gig.

I always take the time to run the otrhers of what knob to move (volume) and that every thing else doesn't matter as it is going straight to the desk. I also set my compressor up so that it's nearly impossible to continuiously clip the amp. They always seem nice and thankful that I've legt them use it. To be honest I wouldn't be bothered if they didn't, it makes everyones life easier, 9 times out of ten we have to borrow everything else, and I primarily take my rig for me.

There has only been a few occasions where the bass player has been a total retard fag, and I don't mind getting arse-y with some lowlifes who can't bare to be onstage without a pint near by.

So much aggression and protection over amps and cabs. For my own gigs there are rarely other bands but if they needed they could use my rig if needed.

Both my lads play in bands (one a drummer, the other bass) who play in pubs and I've been to dozens of other gig where gear sharing is almost always essential due to space and time. Its sorted out beforehand which band is taking what, mostly the last band on take gear, drummers bring their own snare, cymbals and pedals. That's the way it is. The lad sometimes takes amp/cab/both/neither to suit each gig and depending on what transport he can get. Never been a problem. I'm sure problems occur but this is just the accepted way things are. I don't know where everyone else gigs where they can be so sure about exclusive use of their gear and no-one elses.

I'm a very stingy one myself. People have used my stuff in the past, sometimes without even asking, and althoug no damage ever done, I still don't see it as worth the risk. The one that hacked me off the most is a gig I played a year or two back and there were a couple of bands on, guitarist snapped a string so I quickly drove him to get some, and left my lead on top of the amp, in my open kit case, neatly coiled. Came back to find the other band using it, and once he'd finished with it he yanked it out of his bass by the cable, and just scrunched it up. Needless to say, he got the bollocking of the lifetime!

The one I'll always remember is a battle of the bands final, got a phone call from the organiser pretty much telling me that I had to lend the other bands my amp, and if I didn't the night couldn't go on as they couldn't get another bass amp. At that point I politely told them where they were going to stick it, and questioned how four bands could make it to a final, with only one of them having a functioning gig rig. By the time I got to the bottom of it, it turns out that one band had blown up their bass amp, the other band just didn't have one (???!!!) and then the third band had just got a nice new Mark Bass rig and didn't want to gig it. Needless to say I told them they can find an amp elsewhere and that I will not be providing my bass amp, and will DI into the PA if I have to, then proceeded to turn up with my rig just for myself...... I wonder why we didn't win that one then :lol:

I just did 4 metal bands at a gig in Manchester,asked headline Drummer "so it`s your shells everyones using?" "Correct" says he (although he had 3 racks and 2 floors and one of the floors had a split skin.."I`ll change it after soundcheck" sez he.. wtf?
Boom,boom,booom.flrrrp...boom. Um...
Ask the Bassist "so everyone`s using your rig?" "Yep no prob" sez he, but then removed his head to a place of greater safety once they soundchecked...(warwick btw)
"Oh.. you meant just your two cabs that you cant be arsed moving off stage? Right.."
I just used the post apocalyptic house Peavey that can`t die.
Just say no.

I don't mind sharing my cab, nobody's gonna overload an 800w 8 ohm 4x10!! I sometimes sneakilyturn the tweeter off though ;) I much prefer people to ask though of course! One band we play with often, their bassist actually asked our drummer for my number so he could ask me in advance which I thought was really nice. Of course I said yes! He still texts me before every gig we do together just to make sure. I think next time I'll tell him he doesn't have to any more :lol:

I used to share my head, until I realised just how many people have no idea about Gain or clipping... Best be on the safe side there!

I'd never let someone else use my pedals, because I'm really anal about the settings on it

Didn't turn up to a gig with a bass? Sorry, I probably don't play in the same tuning as you and you're not messing with it! ... Also even though they're by far the cheapest part of my setup, they're the part I'm most protective over. Some personal sentimental thing I guess? :)

Edited by chrismuzz

I don`t want anyone using my gear. I have done so in the past, nothing has ever got broken, but the last time, the band that used it were so loud, and they just whacked the volume up way more than I was comfortable with. And it was pointless, cos you couldn`t even hear their drummer. So that has put me off. If my speakers had blown, I would have been unable to play, down to the "everything on full" mentality. As such, if my gear breaks now, I`ll only have one person to blame.

Yep, really doesn't seem worth it to me and you become the roadie and may not be able to enjoy the evening.
If I am stupid enough to damage my kit then that is down to me...but I would be majorly pissed off if someone else did it
so I don't even get into that territory of kit share 95% of the time. It may be a factor once or twice a year and both times
I've used my own. as most kit on offer wouldn't be suitable ....been there, thanks.

If it was a good mate, then I would expect them to treat my gear better than I do...but there is still that apsect of taking the eye off the ball..

As for basses.... you have to be kidding..!!

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1337381971' post='1659283'] I'm a very stingy one myself. People have used my stuff in the past, sometimes without even asking, and althoug no damage ever done, I still don't see it as worth the risk. The one that hacked me off the most is a gig I played a year or two back and there were a couple of bands on, guitarist snapped a string so I quickly drove him to get some, and left my lead on top of the amp, in my open kit case, neatly coiled. Came back to find the other band using it, and once he'd finished with it he yanked it out of his bass by the cable, and just scrunched it up. Needless to say, he got the bollocking of the lifetime! The one I'll always remember is a battle of the bands final, got a phone call from the organiser pretty much telling me that I had to lend the other bands my amp, and if I didn't the night couldn't go on as they couldn't get another bass amp. At that point I politely told them where they were going to stick it, and questioned how four bands could make it to a final, with only one of them having a functioning gig rig. By the time I got to the bottom of it, it turns out that one band had blown up their bass amp, the other band just didn't have one (???!!!) and then the third band had just got a nice new Mark Bass rig and didn't want to gig it. Needless to say I told them they can find an amp elsewhere and that I will not be providing my bass amp, and will DI into the PA if I have to, then proceeded to turn up with my rig just for myself...... I wonder why we didn't win that one then :lol: [/quote]

This is what I don't get, bands who don't have an amp? That's insane! For me, I'm not sure what's worse, other bassists expecting to use your amp or promotors telling them they can use your amp. I just have a very stingy 'no one uses my amp' rule, it's not very nice I know, but I don't have the money to replace anything so I'm fairly certain they won't either. And if they have then they would have their own amp.

Ba humbug!

Dan

Bringing amps to gigs is not about whether the bass player owns one or not, its about the arrangements for backline. Fine for nice big venues with space for the bands to set the backline up in front of the next band on but I can't remember the last pub/club type gig with I've been to where each band used a different backline and it was changed between each band.

Where does all this stuff get stored during the gig? Does it get changed for each band during the sound check too? Must make for a very long evening with such long changeovers.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337433177' post='1659868']
Bringing amps to gigs is not about whether the bass player owns one or not, its about the arrangements for backline. Fine for nice big venues with space for the bands to set the backline up in front of the next band on but I can't remember the last pub/club type gig with I've been to where each band used a different backline and it was changed between each band.

Where does all this stuff get stored during the gig? Does it get changed for each band during the sound check too? Must make for a very long evening with such long changeovers.
[/quote]

This is totally reasonable, one reason I don't mind sharing my cab! :)