Why become a member? ×

Bloody punters

radansey

In fairness to the complainant and his spouse, it is possible that the acoustics in this place of worship might have combined with certain notes to produce specific, distressing effects.

I recall an occasion many, [i]many[/i] years ago when I was performing before a Royal Personage at St Mary Le Bow London. Her Majesty the Queen Mother was nodding along to our sprightly jazz interpretation of Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring when I misplaced a low C and detonated her colostomy bag.

Such was the charm and grace of our (then) dowager Queen that she affected not to notice and discreetly despatched an equerry to her car for 'the back-up'.

How wonderful she was. We shall not see her like again.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1336995953' post='1653620']
In fairness to the complainant and his spouse, it is possible that the acoustics in this place of worship might have combined with certain notes to produce specific, distressing effects.
[/quote]

Nonsense, Skank. We're bass players. We must be right. [i]Always.[/i]

You don't want to crack my thin veneer of confidence do you? :(

Edited by Gust0o

There is always one, yep.

Personally, One person telling me I'm too loud for their personal preference wouldn't bother me in the slightest. My pleasure comes before that of the audience. I'm not a professional, even if I try to behave as professionally as possible at a gig. If you are too loud, surely somebody who had more authority (or perhaps control of a sound desk) would have done something about it!

I had somebody point out every mistake I made on a gig the other night though. Which is a bit different, as it's something that I DO care about! It annoyed me a bit as I feel it's a bit rude to do that... But all I could say to it really was 'yeah i know!' because, to be honest, i DID screw up a few notes :lol:

Her Majesty the Queen Mother was nodding along to our sprightly jazz interpretation of Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring when I misplaced a low C and detonated her colostomy bag.
[/quote]
I bow once more to your ability to paint such wonderful pictures with words, Skankdelvar. The Groom of the Stool, looking forward to an uneventful afternoon of musical light entertainment, must've had his work cut out once you let the brown note go.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1337018818' post='1654155']
Oh yes, I could put the OP in touch with a former guitarist of CoF :D
[/quote]

The one that stands there innocently wearing his earplugs and saying "WHAT DO YOU MEAN TURN DOWN?!?!? THIS IS MY F***ING SOUND, BALLS OUT ROCK AND ROLL MATE" whilst deafening the rest of the band (who all left as I recall, though this was post CoF) :)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1336918005' post='1652666']
It only takes one - correct.

You.

Church - pub - back of a truck in a field - stadium. You're the player , and you need to develop big enough brass ones to say 'i'm in control and I'm happy with my sound - you're entitled to your opinion but it's not as important to me as my own'.
[/quote]

Kind of, but its worth remebering for who's benefit is the bass being played. If it's for the bass player's benefit he could wear headphones instead of backline then no-one will be bothered how loud he has it. If it's for the congregation/audience then there's no point playing in a way that they don't like.

Taking a wide view from the audience is always a good idea so that a single, personal view isn't the focus. Many people say 'great', some give a considered and honest answer, not always the one easiest to hear. What makes you a better player is what you do with that. (He didn't say your playing was pants, just too loud for his wife.)

I play in church most weeks, those who find the band too noisy sit away from it. But if someone tells me I'm too loud I don't take it personally, I just consider their opinion. I may choose to act on it.

I recall an occasion many, [i]many[/i] years ago when I was performing before a Royal Personage at St Mary Le Bow London. Her Majesty the Queen Mother was nodding along to our sprightly jazz interpretation of Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring when I misplaced a low C and detonated her colostomy bag.

Such was the charm and grace of our (then) dowager Queen that she affected not to notice and discreetly despatched an equerry to her car for 'the back-up'.

How wonderful she was. We shall not see her like again.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Skank, you are a bad man. Funny, but bad.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1336929586' post='1652880']
all this.

Church I used to play in I had the amp lower than in my bedroom. It just carried the bass any higher and at the back it was all you got.

People don't like change and like the traditional Organ and some singers. Anything else just isn't church. Sitting chugging root notes to go with the acoustics was too much.

Just do what you do and unless the guy in charge of the music has a problem keep doing it. After all if the people in charge don't like it they will say to him.
[/quote]

I quite agree - someone just has to see electric things like guitar, speakers, mics and thinks that its all too loud before you even start yet the same person listens to live orchestras which probably have as much a max SPL as we might produce. It is a perception thing - incorrect of course - but their perception.

It does knock you though. But in my example above, I have learned to ignore the comment as I know it's based on wrong perceptions.

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1337243215' post='1657508']

I quite agree - someone just has to see electric things like guitar, speakers, mics and thinks that its all too loud before you even start yet the same person listens to live orchestras which probably have as much a max SPL as we might produce. It is a perception thing - incorrect of course - but their perception.

It does knock you though. But in my example above, I have learned to ignore the comment as I know it's based on wrong perceptions.
[/quote]
Totally and utterly this.

I would agree that the complainant may need a gentle chat about music and electrical instruments and (!) drums. However, at church we play to serve, not for our own egos. Like a lot of things, it all goes a bit upside down at church.

When I go to a gig I want the bass loud and I want the bass player to be a good one and give his best chops (I notice them all) and I'll thoroughly enjoy the band and go and tell the bass player how good he is and how he's the most important member of the band.

When I go to church I want his ego left at the gig, I'm there to worship God not to listen to a bass player. An attitude of 'this is what I do so like it or lump it' may have its place on a stage but is rather arrogant and childish in the context of a church music group when he's there to help lead people to worship God. I'd rather have no bass player if he's going to distract from someone's worship.

Its a lot harder being a good bass player at church that in a band, even if the music in the band is likely to be way better.

Bit like being a good ref at football, you don't notice the good ones but they can make the game, the crap ones get noticed by ruining the game.

On the one hand, I bet this guy's wife gets a LOT of "headaches" and your bass just happens to be the latest cause.

On the other hand, you could ask somebody to record you for a 20 seconds or so with their phone or something. This would be enough to see if the bass is really too loud but not something more subtle, like just not sitting nicely in the mix. Sometimes it is the cranky people that have the honesty to put you on to a problem, even if they do it the wrong way.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337326522' post='1657998']
I would agree that the complainant may need a gentle chat about music and electrical instruments and (!) drums. However, at church we play to serve, not for our own egos. Like a lot of things, it all goes a bit upside down at church.

When I go to a gig I want the bass loud and I want the bass player to be a good one and give his best chops (I notice them all) and I'll thoroughly enjoy the band and go and tell the bass player how good he is and how he's the most important member of the band.

When I go to church I want his ego left at the gig, I'm there to worship God not to listen to a bass player. An attitude of 'this is what I do so like it or lump it' may have its place on a stage but is rather arrogant and childish in the context of a church music group when he's there to help lead people to worship God. I'd rather have no bass player if he's going to distract from someone's worship.

Its a lot harder being a good bass player at church that in a band, even if the music in the band is likely to be way better.

Bit like being a good ref at football, you don't notice the good ones but they can make the game, the crap ones get noticed by ruining the game.
[/quote]

Agreed.

As a musician in a worship context, I always take exceptional care to ensure that I sit well in the 'mix' with a tone that is appropriate, played in a sensitive way, and that reflects each song - especially with songs played during communion. There are times when the song way be more 'rockier' and in that circumstance, I play accordingly.

Therefore, I was quite shocked and concerned with the comment last Sunday.

Ross

[quote name='radansey' timestamp='1336922757' post='1652757']
Maybe I'll suggest he takes up ventriloquism...

[/quote]

my tingly spider senses tell me this may not be too far from the truth perhaps?? :huh:

maybe Mr Miggins isnt actually too bothered, and perhaps it is 'she who must be obeyed' who is using poor old Mr Miggins as her mouthpiece

as for the DFA knob ... turn it all the way up to eleven :lol:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='2wheeler' timestamp='1337329603' post='1658072']
On the one hand, I bet this guy's wife gets a LOT of "headaches" and your bass just happens to be the latest cause.

On the other hand, you could ask somebody to record you for a 20 seconds or so with their phone or something. This would be enough to see if the bass is really too loud but not something more subtle, like just not sitting nicely in the mix. Sometimes it is the cranky people that have the honesty to put you on to a problem, even if they do it the wrong way.
[/quote]

there is also the option that it could be an acoustic issue with the room and maybe mrs miggins was unfortunately sat in one of those 'high spots' where the acoustics resonate your bass frequencies out of proportion :huh: :o

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1337333527' post='1658201']
there is also the option that it could be an acoustic issue with the room and maybe mrs miggins was unfortunately sat in one of those 'high spots' where the acoustics resonate your bass frequencies out of proportion :huh: :o
[/quote]

Funnily enough, this is what I emailed to the 'victims' on Monday,
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[i]"[/i][i]With reference to XXXXX and your experiences yesterday morning, the only explanation that I can suggest is that this was most likely due to the acoustics/reflections within the church. It is probable that you were sitting at the focal-point of antinodes reflecting from the many sound-reflective surfaces which, unfortunately, unlike other musical parameters, is something that I have no control over. Churches are notorious in this respect.[/i][/font]
[i]I would suggest that this phenomenon is further supported by (1) my amplifier not directly facing your direction and (2) the piano acting as a sound-barrier between my amplifier and your position in the church, hence the only direct sound route would be off the internal surfaces. [/i][/font]
[i]Ross"[/i][/font]

[quote name='radansey' timestamp='1337331514' post='1658132']
Agreed.

As a musician in a worship context, I always take exceptional care to ensure that I sit well in the 'mix' with a tone that is appropriate, played in a sensitive way, and that reflects each song - especially with songs played during communion. There are times when the song way be more 'rockier' and in that circumstance, I play accordingly.

Therefore, I was quite shocked and concerned with the comment last Sunday.

Ross
[/quote]

In which case maybe refer them to the music leader, or whatever you have in your church. Pre-warn the leader that they may be coming so that he/she can be prepared with their own view rather than react/cower under the complaint. If your leader thinks your playing is as you suggest, and I'm sure it is, they'll deal with it appropriately. Gets you off the hook too as you're 'just' the bass player, not the one with overall responsibility for the sound, or even what is trying to be achieved with the sound.

But, to reiterate what others are saying, this isn't something you should take personally.