Why become a member? ×

Squarepusher is a $h1t hot bassist

Fionn

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1336683972' post='1649602']
He may be a great bassist, but the track in the OP is the most boring and uninspired thing I've heard him do. Not a patch on the brilliant Iambic 9 Poetry posted above ^
[/quote]

I agree with that.
But then again the OP video is just a Jam.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I've been a Squarepusher fan ever since I bought an EP in 1999 just because it had an interesting cover!
I love the atmospheric soundscapes, and the mental electronica, but can't get on with the busy electric bass stuff. In fact, I think the only album I don't own is "Solo Electric Bass" as the title put me right off.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1336684329' post='1649612']
I agree with that.

Garry
[/quote]

Maybe, but he obviously thinks it's good enough to be shown on the Guardian's web site, where no doubt it will be many people's introduction to his work. In that context, as a piece of music I think it's rather poor and ill-considered.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1336684329' post='1649612']
I agree with that.

Garry
[/quote]

I don't agree, because unlike the Clutterbuck stuff it is funky throughout. Just good tight groove that happens to involve quite fast playing. I guess it boils down to whether you like that particular off-shoot of jazz-funk (jazz's deformed cousin).

He's a funny one to me - I don't really like any of the recorded stuff I've heard but I love some of his more off-the-cuff jams.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1336687118' post='1649669']
good tight groove that happens to involve quite fast playing.
[/quote]

Indeed, and i did say..
"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I like that high action slap sound he gets, nice, tight and articulated."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Garry[/font][/color]

I just dont understand what there is to like about the OP? Yes his wrists and fingers are faster than a speeding bullet, but take out the show-off elements and the "tune" is minimal. I know its just a jam with a new drummer, but we dont record our jams (thank god!) for all the world to judge us by.

Tom's playing isn't to everyones tastes but he IS a remarkable all round musician and I don't know of anyone who's as good at playing bass/guitar/drums/keyboards and doing all the programming stuff as well - he's kind of in a class of his own when it comes to drum programming (aside from Venitian Snares/Aphex Twin etc) - but inevitably his playing will divide listeners - I love the two clips below for different reasons. I love the tone he gets on his MM bass - the creative way he uses reverb and multiple MIDI-triggered effects and loops is pretty inspiring too from my POV - obviously some of you will hate it - so be it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT5utblqvUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZi5Y7KgzsQ

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1336673211' post='1649346']
Yeah, very good and all that. I can see that he is indeed quite skilled at doing wot he is doing .... but it's not bass playing to me.

Give me Lynott, Foxton, Sting, Geddy, Lemmy and JJ.
[/quote]
true dat ^^^^^^^^^^

There are some funny opinions on here about what constitutes 'real' music! Makes me laugh :) Rock 'n' roll was considered by old people to be "not proper music" during the '50s; now old people play rock 'n' roll and grumble about electronica. And long may the cycle of "music ain't what it used to be" continue! Because without it, there'd be nothing to keep the creative wheels a-turning...

But I digress.

Squarepusher? Superbly talented chap as others have mentioned. Yes I'm a fan, but the track in the OP isn't what I'd consider to be his best material. I personally love his use of samples and crazy chopped-up percussion, parrticularly in tracks like this one (fun video too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Y3piodWes

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1336741373' post='1650279']
Tom's playing isn't to everyones tastes but he IS a remarkable all round musician and I don't know of anyone who's as good at playing bass/guitar/drums/keyboards and doing all the programming stuff as well - he's kind of in a class of his own when it comes to drum programming (aside from Venitian Snares/Aphex Twin etc) - but inevitably his playing will divide listeners - I love the two clips below for different reasons. I love the tone he gets on his MM bass - the creative way he uses reverb and multiple MIDI-triggered effects and loops is pretty inspiring too from my POV - obviously some of you will hate it - so be it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT5utblqvUY[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZi5Y7KgzsQ[/media]
[/quote]

Just had a listen - some interesting 'Out of the Box' stuff going on there.
Thanks for the post.

Garry

sorry to disappoint most but i like the jam from the OP and the harmonic track where i could hear an actual bass but the rest sounds like a jumbled box of noises to me and can't see the attraction especially the live stuff.
A little too extreme for my taste and poles apart in style - I'm not sure whether he's a bassist or a DJ.
Its probably an age thing cause a lot of the live stuff sounded like old Rave material.
I guess he's trying to cover as many styles as poss but that's a bit risky IMO.
He's certainly a very talented player.

Dave

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1336751441' post='1650517']
There are some funny opinions on here about what constitutes 'real' music! Makes me laugh :) Rock 'n' roll was considered by old people to be "not proper music" during the '50s; now old people play rock 'n' roll and grumble about electronica. And long may the cycle of "music ain't what it used to be" continue! Because without it, there'd be nothing to keep the creative wheels a-turning...

But I digress.

Squarepusher? Superbly talented chap as others have mentioned. Yes I'm a fan, but the track in the OP isn't what I'd consider to be his best material. I personally love his use of samples and crazy chopped-up percussion, parrticularly in tracks like this one (fun video too):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Y3piodWes[/media]
[/quote]

I LOVE this track... seriously wicked - I agree some of his stuff gets too wild for its own good but there are many momentsof real innovation anf pioneering genius in Tom's work - and I love it :)

Slightly longer version with lots of lovely beat mashing on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDbmgoba5fE

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1336684185' post='1649607']
Sorry to fans of the guy but the track in the OP is quite the dullest piece of music I've heard since the clutterbuckery of the London Bass Show. Technically amazing but soul-less IMHO
[/quote]

I'm with Clarky on this one. Its not what I look for in bass playing or music. I will also add that technically he is excellent but so is knitting and I find that boring also.

Edited by Linus27

I've only got Ultravisitor but you've inspired me to put it on after a few years of not really listening to that kind of music.

I have to tip my hat to him, he's very talented even if it's not your kind of thing, and I believe he spent a fair amount of time in Sheffield so he gets extra points for being local.