Why become a member? ×

Squarepusher is a $h1t hot bassist

Fionn

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1336822303' post='1651529']
I have to tip my hat to him, he's very talented even if it's not your kind of thing, and I believe he spent a fair amount of time in Sheffield so he gets extra points for being local.
[/quote]

Warp records started in Sheffield IIRC. It's great to see how far that label has come.

I'm a big fan of Warp, particularly the Boards of Canada. Squarepusher's stuff is best I think when the bass is sunk in the mix, I'm not mad on the bass playing itself but the sum of the parts is brilliant. Much prefer his older stuff, him and Aphex never cease to amaze me with their music.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1336844977' post='1651906']
On the evidence posted in this thread his studio and live work sound like two entirely different artists. Personally I'll stick with his recordings, and not bother with going to see him play live.
[/quote]BRX, don't miss out on him live, it's a good gig. Sonically challenging, beautifully complex and some great bass playing...I hate him, bastard. :D

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1336677649' post='1649462']
Forget the bass playing, that drummers left hand on the hi-hat is insanely tight at those speeds!
[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts, the drummer looked effortless too!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1392390256' post='2368095']
So much energy in this performance.

[/quote]

Awesome! I love the way he slams the back of the neck at 0:47!! :)

He's a really wicked player! I love his sound in that vid too.

His technique is a bit of a mystery to me :huh: How does he do all the crazy fast stuff? is it all just thumbs and plucks?

[quote name='thumbo' timestamp='1336836818' post='1651775']
Warp records started in Sheffield IIRC. It's great to see how far that label has come.
[/quote]
[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1336841051' post='1651834']
Warp films too. I kept recognising places when I was watching 4 Lions and Kill List.
[/quote]

Warp Records! I remember one of their "creative team" coming to watch a band I was in many, many years ago with a view to signing us, and him earnestly telling me in conversation afterwards that when it came to music, "Bleeps are out, clonks are in". Obviously , with the balance of hindsight, I should have taken him seriously .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1392393250' post='2368169']
Warp Records! I remember one of their "creative team" coming to watch a band I was in many, many years ago with a view to signing us, and him earnestly telling me in conversation afterwards that when it came to music, "Bleeps are out, clonks are in". Obviously , with the balance of hindsight, I should have taken him seriously .
[/quote]

Anyone I might have heard of? I was playing in a electro/glitch band back in 2003-4. Long shot but our paths may have crossed.

I got reminded recently that Squarepusher used to live in the flats opposite one of my old girlfriends houses so an odd coincidence that this thread has cropped up again!

He has a skill that I could never even dream of achieving, but that's probably because I wouldn't want to.
Because it's played on a bass it's bass playing, but to me it's not bass playing in the traditional sense, and leaves me cold. He has taken the bass beyond what it was designed originally to do, and that's fine, but he might as well be playing a guitar or keyboard IMO.

It suites the music though.

I've always found Tom Jenkinson's music interesting. From the drum and bass of 1996s Feed Me Weird Things and the Headhunters like funk of Music Is A Rotted One Note in 1998 to the electro of Just A Souvenir & Solo Electric Bass 1 from 2007/8. Always refreshing and enjoyable to listen to and i always enjoy his bass playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yQqB5t8igg

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1392410648' post='2368553']
Anyone I might have heard of? I was playing in a electro/glitch band back in 2003-4. Long shot but our paths may have crossed.

[/quote]

You definitely won't have heard of us. It was more than a decade before that, in the very early 1990's , and Warp was just a little record shop from what I remember. That band hadn't done any gigs, but we got record company interest by virtue of the fact that we had a pretty unique sound and, more importantly, knew an incredibly irritating girl who was a rising star in A&R , and who subsequently has gone on to great success and had numerous chart acts. The old adage that it's not what you know but who you know really is true.

Unfortunately, all this talk of record contracts made some of the other people in the band start to think that they were now actually the electro-shoegazing Led Zeppelin and had already made it to the big time , despite the fact that no contract had actually been signed with any record company . Arguments and disagreements ensued, and you already know how this story ends :( . I was mainly playing music in Manchester in those days, , but I remember Sheffield being a really vibrant place around that time, and I have got some particularly fond memories of a pub called The Porters in Hunters Bar.

Edited by Dingus

• 1 year later...

Anyone listened to the new album? I'm loving it. The sleeve notes talk about each track being done in one take, and that this is now the peak of evolution of his bespoke software, but that's all beyond me - I just love the music.

To top it off, the 'video' for the first single is a Virtual Reality App! You need special lenses (I just happened to have a pair from a Tool CD cover, but you can get Google Cardboard ones) and it's pretty damned impressive. You make your way through this crazy psychedelic world, and you can look ANY direction and it tracks your movements flawlessly. It gets pretty intense towards the end, so go easy on the drugs ;-)

More about the app
http://www.factmag.com/2015/05/13/squarepusher-stor-eiglas-virtual-reality-video/

Edited by Roland Rock