Why become a member? ×

Basses at work? Experiences please!

Lfalex v1.1

Lunch hours here are dull as F... (you get the idea!) I'd rather practice scales than listen to banter about footie/soap operas.
What does anyone here do? I've several basses that would be ok to bring to work, as well as a Korg Pandora/headphones/Mp3 player. Thanks in advance... Alex.

I used to keep my Hohner Jack bass and my Squier Classic Vine Jazz bass in my locker at work and play them through a little practice amp on breaks. I don't get a regular break though (if I get one at all) so eating usually came before playing my bass so I stopped bringing one to work.

I have a Yamaha BB614 permanently stationed at my work, on a stand in my office (I have an office to myself). I use a Tascam MP3 bass trainer and put the output of that into a computer 2.1 speakers, subwoofer does a job well enough for practising.

I have no long term secure storage, so whichever instrument I took would have to come and go with me, as would the "amplification", but it'd all fit in a gig bag or case. I do have a regular lunch hour, though. My greatest concern would be the constant interruptions. Still, a little "education", and I reckon I'd be left in peace.

I'm self employed, run my own place and have for years, rarely take breaks, so it doesnt really apply.

But when I worked for firms, I avoided taking a Bass or Guitar case to work whenever possible. theres always some wag who has to call out 'Give us a tune then' or some other wiity line they think you never heard before. Just gets tiresome after a bit.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1336404223' post='1645100']
Aria Sinsondo?
[/quote]

Nice idea, but I already have a Status Streamline and Hohner B2A. Space isn't the issue, more security.
I fear that I will suffer heavily from the issue that Brancini describes.
I shall endeavour to find a quiet, undisturbed practice space. Should be possible in my workplace.

Years ago I bought a Hohner B2a to play at work in my breaks (and sometimes to play not in my breaks!). It was great - because I had a small building to myself.

These days I work from home so my basses are just behind me where my laptop sits during the day.

used to have a bass at work all the time... small office, only three of us... one other fella had his guitar there too so used to have odd jams here and there! as well as playing at lunchtimes i could also get away with noodling about during work hours while computer was busy rendering

Full bass rig in own office, and rest of band work in same institution, fragmented song development in lunchtime in shared departmental office, we all have kit there. Not ideal since we get a stream of interruptions, but is usually fun.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1336515107' post='1646958']
Full bass rig in own office, and rest of band work in same institution, fragmented song development in lunchtime in shared departmental office, we all have kit there. Not ideal since we get a stream of interruptions, but is usually fun.
[/quote]

That does sound awesome dude!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1336401926' post='1645046']
I have no long term secure storage, so whichever instrument I took would have to come and go with me, as would the "amplification", but it'd all fit in a gig bag or case. I do have a regular lunch hour, though. My greatest concern would be the constant interruptions. Still, a little "education", and I reckon I'd be left in peace.
[/quote]

Kala U-Bass and a little Roland cube - job's a good un B)

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1336404720' post='1645110']
I'm self employed, run my own place and have for years, rarely take breaks, so it doesnt really apply.

But when I worked for firms, I avoided taking a Bass or Guitar case to work whenever possible. theres always some wag who has to call out 'Give us a tune then' or some other wiity line they think you never heard before. Just gets tiresome after a bit.
[/quote]
I had exactly this as well, along with "Do you mind if I have a go?". Although the latter comments dropped off as the novelty wore off, I still ended up teaching other people stuff more than practising myself. Which was fine in and of itself, but not really what I was taking the bass in for in the first place.