Why become a member? ×

Bass players & structural health.

Hey folks,

Many of you will know that I have been having a number of structural health issues over the last 12 months from tendonitis to serious back and should pains - This has caused me to have to sell my entire bass collection and have something made that is quite specific for me needs.

As part of my 'rehab' I decided to visit a Chiropractor despite the NHS suggesting Physio was a better option (unfortunately the Physio I saw was of little help and had little interest in helping...) and after out very own Dood mentioned he had gone down this route with great success, I gave it ago.

It's been a long road but so far the results have been great.

Along with my Chiropractor I have produced the following article for my website & blog which addresses a few things that musicians can look out for etc. As there have been a large increase in posts around BC with people asking for advice on what to do with aches and pains etc. I though a few people may find this interesting. Granted Chrio' is not for everyone but maybe some of the advice etc. will help...

[url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/ooooohhhh-my-back.html"]Shep on Bass - Ooooohhh my back![/url]

Shep

I used to see an osteopath - as above NHS recommended physio - and found it very good.

I think physio works better after actual treatment, such as operations/cortisone injections, have been administered, combined with an exercise programme.

Whereas osteopath/chiropractor seems to be a continual programme of treatment in itself, requiring no surgery/injections.

Not a fan of chiropractors If they only try and reposition things as the problem is with you staying there in that position. This is why traction and bone crunching sessions are limted unless you have a program that retrains the muscles that hold the skeleton in place.

It took a very decent physio who was not interested in weekly visits to proove this point to me. she said go away and do what I have shown you...and do it properlly and often..and then come back in 3 weeks and I will be able to tell you how much progress you have made and how much work you have put in.. and then we might be able to move forward.

Genius... just my 2p..

I hope this won't become a 'what's better' thread. I totally think it's down to an individual case by case circumstance as to what is needed and/or what works for the body.

In my case, the Chiro gave me the same advice and guidance as the Physio didn't plus the chiropractic work, making my time at the Physio somewhat redundant. I've found the process fantastic thus far and the post above is just a reflection of my experience as well as a number of discussions with John about musicians he's helped.

JTUK - My Chiro takes a similar approach to this, I see them once ever 4-6 weeks with a 'course' of work to undertake between sessions and we-reasses the situation based upon the impact this has done. Much of Chiro work overlaps with Physio work in my experience, but the core 'hands on' side of things differs.

From my experience with the Physio though I would also suggest that it depends on who you see as to what sort of treatment you get!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1336388483' post='1644740']
I hope this won't become a 'what's better' thread.
[/quote]

It's an internet forum - of course it will. :)

Good luck with the rehab Shep - I hope it continues to work for you.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1336389399' post='1644756']
It's an internet forum - of course it will. :)

Good luck with the rehab Shep - I hope it continues to work for you.
[/quote]

Lol! Cheers.

I have actually had some excellent Physio advice in the past and that came from Basschat (essexbasscat!).

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1336389488' post='1644757']
Lol! Cheers.

I have actually had some excellent Physio advice in the past and that came from Basschat (essexbasscat!).
[/quote]

Thanks Shep, my pleasure mate

Edited by essexbasscat

Hiya

I am glad that you have found something that has worked for you. Back pain is a killer for bass players - i should know my Cruise bass weighs an absolute ton and is probably responsible for the breakdown in my back that occurred last year. I won't sell it but i don't gig it anymore as its a monster. Great at home on the lap though.

I did Pilates and joined a Gym. I go three times a week to the gym and do a lot of cardio and some weights. I also do a Pilates class and do one particular exercise (about 5 minutes) daily. I'd say my back problems have pretty much gone away :) (and i am starting to look a bit buff too ;) )

Chiropractors are wonderful people. I have one and get adjusted once every 8 months ish. It used to be once every couple of months but I climb so regularly that alone keeps me in check. She has looked after me well and any problems I have she helps as much as she can. I had problems with a couple of my fingers, they were really sore around the joints. The problem? My forearms! A bit of stretching sorted it out, it turned out I wasn't stretching properly post climbs.

The theory behind it makes perfect sense and of course only individuals can confirm it's truth. They have long been in a battle with NHS, physiotherapists and what have you. I personally recommend them as they have done wonders for me. Be warned, treatment can be expensive!

Nothing wrong with physio's though. as someone else said here, I do think the physio part is the bit after treatment.

Dan

Really eye opening stuff Shep. It's good to see the problems being highlighted for a change, I was tutored in guitar while at school and we only briefly went through correct positions etc.
But a lot of back problems stem from shooting up at an early age and having to bend over, and incorrectly, a lot of the time while working. For me a healthy dose of gym time and eating healthier and drinking 2L of water a day has helped a lot.

I've had positive experiences with an Osteopath after months of physio made no difference to a knee injury.. I literally hobbled in on crutches and walked out without them 40 minutes later.. Also members of my family have had similar (if not quite as rapid) experiences with back problems and glue ear....

Yes I had a strange happening with an osteopath. I had a bad back, so went to see him, and on the first appointment, he asked for details of all aches/pains etc that I`d ever had.

Well I told him that as well as my back, my right knee often hurt quite a bit, but that I`d had it X-rayed, and the NHS had said there was nothing wrong - even though it sometimes really hurt.

At that point he asked me for details of any accidents I`d ever had, so I relayed my motorbiking disasters, including the time when I landed rather badly on my left hip. Hopped up onto the couch, and he looked at my legs, then tugged on my left foot quite forcefully - it seemed I`d impacted the hip, and my left leg was slightly shorter, so my right knee never locked properly, causing undue pressure on it.

All that time with the NHS, who simply parrot-fashion repeated "It`s not broken" whenever I told them how bad it was, and he dealt with it in some 5 mins (he did repeat this treatment on every session for the next 6 monthly apptointments).

So whilst some Doctors have issues with osteopaths/chiropractors etc, speaking as I found, they worked for me quite nicely.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1336411444' post='1645269']
What a great thread. Thanks Shep. I've started thinking through how my back problems began. Not sure that a Chiro can actually deal with my symptoms, but I think I'll give it a go anyway - what's the worst they can say..."no, I can't treat you...".
[/quote]
[url="http://whatstheharm.net/chiropractic.html"]http://whatstheharm....iropractic.html[/url]

While Chiropractic is still largely woo filled, I will say that there is a new school where they don't bother with the woo stuff so much and the stuff that helps is where they overlap with what a physio or proper massage therapist would do. Which is fine. It's when they go telling people they can cure your baby's Colic by performing dangerous procedures and altering it's "subluxations" that I have a problem with them.

[url="http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/chiropractic.html"]http://www.randi.org...iropractic.html[/url]

Just be aware.

Edited by KingBollock

My wife is a qualified K.O.R.E. therapy consultant, she's also qualified in clinical acupuncture. She's just about to set up her own clinic which is great.

She's been using our converted conservatory as her clinic for the last few months. Some of the people she has helped and some of the conditions she has helped treat has been incredible.
A lot of her patents have been going to chiropractors with very little sucess, but she's got em fixed.

She's also now done advanced K.O.R.E. which is more sports orientated and is used by a few Premiership Clubs, as well as a few countries Olympic atheletes. She also has the chance to attend the Olympics as a therapist, so it's all good stuff.

Very well-written and informative article, thank you! As a first-year chiropractic student and long time Basschatter/Basslurker, I'd like to throw some input in here. It's excellent to see that some of you have had great results from chiropractors. I did too, which is one of the reasons why I'm doing what I'm doing now. While I don't wish to get involved in the debate about "what's better", I feel that it's important to point out that the quality of the practitioner is a hugely important part of the whole process. My chiropractor's adjustments made an immediate and life-changing difference to my 2 years of constant pain (so naturally, I'm biased) but as JTUK pointed out, a system to retrain the muscles is a major factor in the rehabilitation process, as is generally having an awareness of your overall health and your limitations, while avoiding bad habits and bad posture. My chiropractor was able to provide exactly that service as well, and underlined the importance of looking after yourself.

I would also like to add that I'm a generally a hugely skeptical person and I question absolutely everything in the world. I'm in my late 20s now and it has taken me a long time and a number of factors to get to the point where I decided that this is what I want to do. To clarify a little, although my personal improvement was extremely dramatic, it is not my sole reason :-)

Also - please bear in mind that critical articles about the profession unfortunately have a tendency to contain a lot of misinformation, so please take what you read with a grain of salt. While it would be fantastic if all diseases originate from the spine - because it would mean that I don't have to take my exam tomorrow about bacteria, viruses, prions and protists - I hope it's clear that this is not reflective of the profession as a whole ;-)