Why become a member? ×

Buying amps online - two in a row faulty - gah!

Clarky

In the search for the perfect DB combo I recently bought a MarkBass Markacoustic combo from Thomann. It arrived swiftly but had some sort of electrical fault as it made a horrible rumbling distorted sound whenever I played a note on my DB. That went back. Disgruntled, I decided to try the much lauded Phil Jones next and ordered a Super Flightcase from Guitar Guitar. That arrived yesterday and today I find the limiter does not work (light doesn't come on and turning the dial makes no difference to sound). Gah! Now that will have to go back.

Returns policies are all well and good but its a pain to have to re-pack, to be in all day to wait for pickup and then to have to wait for refund (still waiting on Thomann 2 weeks later).

I wish QC would spot these issues before they are shipped out to unsuspecting customers. Rant over <_<

And even if you do find a music shop, they may well only have the display model there, and have to send the amp you choose by courier.

I think there's no solution, and it's probably going to get worse. (I'm waiting for two Thomann deliveries and praying there's nothing wrong with them!)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1334400901' post='1615644']
Go to an actual music shop and try an actual amp?
[/quote]
No shop anywhere near me stocks Markacoustic or Phil Jones amps. I went ahead and ordered on the basis of lots of web research and the (mistaken) assumption that the QC departments of these companies do their jobs properly

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334401500' post='1615660']
What's a 'music shop'?
[/quote]

You know. It was one of those places where back in the old days, you would hang about and play stuff you couldn`t afford, surrounded by spotty teenage herberts shredding away on Ibanez guitars with all their mates going "sick man!"

Terrible places really :rolleyes:

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1334410659' post='1615854']
...you would hang about and play stuff you couldn`t afford, surrounded by spotty teenage herberts shredding away on Ibanez guitars...
[/quote]

Last time I went to a 'music shop' I [i]was [/i]a spotty teenage herbert, so you can tell how long ago that was...

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1334402727' post='1615686']
No shop anywhere near me stocks Markacoustic or Phil Jones amps. I went ahead and ordered on the basis of lots of web research and the (mistaken) assumption that the QC departments of these companies do their jobs properly
[/quote]
I tried some PJBs in the Gallery a couple of years ago.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334413584' post='1615916']
I tried some PJBs in the Gallery a couple of years ago.
[/quote]
Bit late for me! Anyways, I think its reasonable to expect that a brand new "high end" amp would arrive at my home in working condition

Really sorry to hear this Clarky, but in fairness you're having a [i][b]very [/b][/i]unusual experience as far as I can tell.

I've bought at least five new amps on t'Internet over the last few years (3 x Eden, I x GK, 1 x OTB) and all have been perfect straight from the box.

Things can only get better. In fact, with your luck due to turn, now's the moment to put a tenner on West End Rocker in the National ...

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1334413775' post='1615919']
Bit late for me! Anyways, I think its reasonable to expect that a brand new "high end" amp would arrive at my home in working condition
[/quote]
Crap innit, you remember my Steinberger fiasco with Thomann? With the rude unhelpful customer service and the two B-Stocks masquerading as new? I've never used them since and never will.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334414229' post='1615923']
Crap innit, you remember my Steinberger fiasco with Thomann? With the rude unhelpful customer service and the two B-Stocks masquerading as new? I've never used them since and never will.
[/quote]

Glad it wasn't just me who had a bad experience with them. Everyone else swears by them, but they said I had damaged an obviously used Line 6 Variax when in fact it arrived chipped around the neck pocket and missing power leads and the correct transformer. In the end I copied all the emails to the MD after a month of getting nowhere with them. Got a 50 Euro credit off them, which meant had to use them again! Luckily they mispicked my order and I got a "free" DI Box too!

One is bad luck and I suppose you would have to wear that...but two is really frustrating and the fact they were from a different supplier doesn't really
help.
Altho I've gotten decent service from Thomann in the past, I wouldn't have much faith in Gtr/gtr.

I've tried to buy things from them...but it hasn't worked out and I am prety glad about that now

In a fit of righteous indignation I am just going to get another refund rather than a replacement (I say "another refund" but the first from Thomann hasn't arrived and GuitarGuitar haven't sent me the returns forms despite me phoning and emailing them ....)

I am going to stick with my MarkBass amp and two Wizzy cabs as those work just fine (not as good as Acoustic Image for my double bass ... but good enough)

Update: despite having had faulty Markbass amp back in their hands for two weeks and emailing me on 12th April to say they would refund asap, Thomann have still not refunded me. I emailed yesterday to ask why and they said the relevant department was "under-staffed" and that they would get on the case (but with no timescale attached) <_<

On the other amp, GuitarGuitar sent me returns forms yesterday morning and by lunchtime had picke dup the faulty Phil Jones combo. So far they have acted pretty swiftly so I am hopeful that they will show the customer service that has been lacking so far from Thomann

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1334646170' post='1618926']
[b]Update: despite having had faulty Markbass amp back in their hands for two weeks and emailing me on 12th April to say they would refund asap, Thomann have still not refunded me. I emailed yesterday to ask why and they said the relevant department was "under-staffed" and that they would get on the case (but with no timescale attached) <_<[/b]

On the other amp, GuitarGuitar sent me returns forms yesterday morning and by lunchtime had picke dup the faulty Phil Jones combo. So far they have acted pretty swiftly so I am hopeful that they will show the customer service that has been lacking so far from Thomann
[/quote]
They told me much the same thing. That someone had to inspect it before issuing the refund and they had a very large backlog, public holiday, etc etc ...