Why become a member? ×

Upgrading - what to buy

pburrows

Hi all

Looking for thoughts and advice here...

I've sold my 3 basses and now have £600 ish to spend on a new bass. I play in a rock covers band so want something that makes a fair bit of noise. I'd love a rick but can't afford it, have tried a Sandberg and really liked that but they are out of range. Do you think a fender p is the best option or should I be a bit more creative? What does £600 get you?

If you're canny you might get a used Sandberg for around that. If I had to pick one versatile 'swiss army bass' to cover a range of stuff, my JM4 would be a shoe-in for the job.

Well worth holding out for one if you can! A Precision has 'that' sound that just sits in most mixes, but I've played all kinds of genres/styles with the JM and its never let me down.

Definitely worth holding out for a Sandberg! I can't praise them enough (search "Sandberg Love" in this forum).

I'm contemplating letting two of mine go to fund a custom build, and one of them would probably be around that price.......

For that money you could get a great, clean well looked after Yamaha TRB or maybe a MIJ Fender P-Deluxe? Slightly more versatile than a regular P I suppose!

Truckstop

Edit: Forgot to mention you could probably get a decent American G&L.

Edited by Truckstop

£600 will get you this: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173213-fs-mij-fender-70ri-precision-bass-non-export/

There's also a very nice maple Kasuga in the forum somewhere if you want a Rick but can't afford one.

Though I think with recent developments there might be a glut on the market here soon , stick around ;-)

£600 puts you into Overwater Contemporary and Classic J territory. Also the used market would get you a Fender P as others have said. Best advice I can give is to try every single bass in your price range (new, but also check what more expensive basses go for second hand and try new versions of those in shops) and find a bass that blows you away. It's very possible to find one in this price range - my Overwater is one of the best basses I've ever played, only really equalled by an £1100 Fender MIA Jazz. Trust your fingers - always!

+1 on the Sandberg.
If you know that's what you want, hold out for a secondhand bargain on here, I've seen most of the 4 string models they do go for about £600 on the odd occasion.
You could obviously get a nice secondhand P Bass too, I personally prefer something a little different, but that non-export one up there looks lovely...

Good luck!
Eude

If I decide to go ahead with my custom build, it would be the greenburst Basic 4 (I still have the original black scratchplate) and the highgloss black Basic Ken Taylor 5 going;

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:100360]

I would probably want £600 for the Basic 4, and £700 for the Ken Taylor.

Do you just like the California model because it looks like a Fender? I've played quite a few, and I did own a California PM 4 last year, but they just don't feel as good as the Basic! Don't get me wrong the California's are great basses, and much better than Fenders efforts (IMHO), but it's still just trying to make the best of an ancient design. It just felt more clumsy than the Basic, and heavier. The Basic is completely their own design, and has obviously been designed as a players instrument. The neck is just unlike anything else I've played, and ultimately led to me selling all my other basses! Don't get me wrong, the design is nothing revolutionary, but just makes perfect sense and is effortless to play. It sounds incredible too, and even the Basic is pretty sonically flexible despite it's single pickup. You really need to try a Basic! Where are you based? There may be a BCer nearby who has one.

This is the other thread I was on about which goes into more detail:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168556-sandberg-love/page__hl__sandberg%20love

With £600 either a US Standard Precision, or maybe look for something with a P/J configuration for a bit more versatility - Fender Deluxe model perhaps, am sure there was one on here a while back within the £600 range.

Bloody confusing isn't it. Guess that's why a lot of people play it safe and go for the P-Bass.

I'm going over to Warwick to Bass Direct to try a couple out. He's got a couple of Stingrays, P-Bass and the Sandberg.

I quite like the look of the blue P-bass advertised on here, but am put off that its in Czech.

If you are a 5 string player and can stretch your budget by another 75 quid this BC member is selling their Spector Euro. Awesome basses for rock music and very well made.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173097-spector-euro-5lx-l675-shipped-immaculate/page__fromsearch__1

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1334144334' post='1611475']
If you are a 5 string player and can stretch your budget by another 75 quid this BC member is selling their Spector Euro. Awesome basses for rock music and very well made.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173097-spector-euro-5lx-l675-shipped-immaculate/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

I would have suggested this as I've got a Euro 5LX myself & it's an awesome bass. The problem with this one is it's had the guts ripped out so to put it back to it's original state is going to cost another £100 or so on top of the asking price.

I literally just bought a musicman stingray 4 string, and its the best thing ive ever done, i think im in love with its tone (did add a cheeky bartolini). Bit beaten up but hey, got it for 699 :/ know its not 600 but if i where you i'd keep looking around for something second hand and get a better deal.

shimi