Why become a member? ×

Upgrading - what to buy

pburrows

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1334134597' post='1611234']
£600 puts you into Overwater Contemporary and Classic J territory. Also the used market would get you a Fender P as others have said. Best advice I can give is to try every single bass in your price range (new, but also check what more expensive basses go for second hand and try new versions of those in shops) and find a bass that blows you away. It's very possible to find one in this price range - my [b]Overwater is one of the best basses I've ever played[/b], only really equalled by an £1100 Fender MIA Jazz. Trust your fingers - always!
[/quote]

This!! ( I'd say they're probably better than the MIA Fenders)

Also need to agree with Olly's suggestion of the MM 'Ray though you'll do well to find one within your budget. Ironically I just sold mine for £600 but the paint was far from perfect. Are you considering a Warwick?? Lot of bass for your money..You shouldn't have too many problems finding one within your budget and if you consider a Rockbass over a German one you could be quids in..

If your heart is set on a Fender P, are you thinking MIA only or MIJ as well. Lots of knowledge here about these so you should be pointed in the right direction by your fellow BCers - Lozz has owned a few so is one of many who knows his stuff...

If you're in secure permanent employemnt you could do much worse than have a look at what Mark has up at Bass Direct - 10% down with 9 monthly payments - far too tempting I say..

Happy shopping..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1334165604' post='1611938']( I'd say they're probably better than the MIA Fenders)[/quote]

I'd agree as every other Fender I've played just doesn't touch it in my opinion. Even other examples of MIA Fender Jazz's didn't feel as good as the one I tried and loved and all fell short of my Overwater. The bass just suits me down to the ground.

So, two things to take from my opinions above. 1. If you find a bass you love, buy that exact bass. You can't be sure that another one of the same make and model will be as good. 2. A bass that I rate and love may not be a bass that you rate and love.