Why become a member? ×

I want to go down to just one bass!

paul j h

I currently have 4 basses, but only play at home, i have no immediate plans to gig etc. I recently put my basses up for trade/sale and although i had a number of interesting offers nothing that really jumped out at me and i apologise to anyone i messed around in my deliberations. I want just one "special" bass, i have worked out it has to be ideally 4 string, fretted but beyond that i don't know what it is. I have the value? of my existing basses and around £1000 budget, i realize this is an enivible position to be in but anyone got any suggests what to look at. I like all my basses and they all are great, but there is no love. Is this early onset of GAS. Cheers Paul.

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1333467705' post='1602148']
I currently have 4 basses, but only play at home, i have no immediate plans to gig etc. I recently put my basses up for trade/sale and although i had a number of interesting offers nothing that really jumped out at me and i apologise to anyone i messed around in my deliberations. I want just one "special" bass, i have worked out it has to be ideally 4 string, fretted but beyond that i don't know what it is. I have the value? of my existing basses and around £1000 budget, i realize this is an enivible position to be in but anyone got any suggests what to look at. I like all my basses and they all are great, but there is no love. Is this early onset of GAS. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]

Given your stated interests, I'm amazed that you don't already have a 70s Precision.

For the budget you could get an Ampeg SVT and fridge to go with it... ;-)

Edited by bremen

You seem to play Jazzes - so maybe get out there and find that 'special' Jazz?

I posted a thread about finding 'the one' a month ago; I can't do it, or simply haven't found it yet - and I'm still a little sceptical about those who claim they have done so. I mean, one bas; for everything?

Maybe it'll come to me later in life, grasshopper, but not today.

Why not combine some of your lesser-played basses, maybe 2 of the four, and push for one nicer one instead? Less extreme, but still consolidation.

Looking at what you have, I think you just haven't found the right Fender/clone... Personally I like my Fenders (some are of questionable pedigree), but if you want to spend some serious money take a look at something like the Sandberg or Lakland etc. Fender derivatives, I've heard great things about these and others.

question: how could you improve your customshop jazz? what doesn't it do that you want it too?

Just as the three basses in your sig are fender designed jazz/pj I think you are looking at an amazing jazz bass but I wonder what would be the step up from fender custom shop? Something active? or a very well built version by overwater or sei or someone?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1333468371' post='1602166']
question: how could you improve your customshop jazz? what doesn't it do that you want it too?

Just as the three basses in your sig are fender designed jazz/pj I think you are looking at an amazing jazz bass but I wonder what would be the step up from fender custom shop? Something active? or a very well built version by overwater or sei or someone?
[/quote]

Overwater, Sei, Bacchus, Lakland US, Shuker, Alleva?

Some of those would be well out of the £1,000 price range, mind, unless aiming second-hand. You're right, though, Luke - it would be good to know more about what would make it 'special'.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1333468685' post='1602179']
Overwater, Sei, Bacchus, Lakland US, Shuker, Alleva?

Some of those would be well out of the £1,000 price range, mind, unless aiming second-hand. You're right, though, Luke - it would be good to know more about what would make it 'special'.
[/quote]

"value of existing basses plus £1000"

Well you've got a nice collection there, I'm guessing that you have a preference for Jazz style basses.

I've just been down a very large guitar shop within the M25 (guitarguitar in Epsom).

Tried an standard jazz and was disappointed with the finish and the way that it played. I didn't get to check if it was MIA/MIM/MIJ, it was around £900 so guessing that it was the american model.

I then picked up a Sadowsky Metro Jazz which felt and sounded great. If you like Jazz basses and have a healthy budget then I'd definately check them out. I think their made in Japan line starts from around £1700 and the US models from £2.5k and upwards. Plenty of options available to make it more "special", but even the bog standard model that I tried felt special enough. The Pedulla rapture also looks lovely though I've never tried one before.

I'd personally go for a bass that I could demo, if you're spending that much money and its going to be your special one, then why take any chances on a bass that you've never tried. Get a shortlist and then try em out until you find the one that sings to you.

Maybe you should consider getting something built to your spec. A one off. They don't come more special than that!
From the sale of a couple of your others plus your budget you could probably get an ACG or something, built how you want it...
Or maybe you're looking for the holy grail.. The One... it could take you a lifetime but the only way to find it is to play lots and lots of things, some you wouldn't consider, and do it blindfold! Thats how I came to buy a Squier VM instead of another US Fender, and I spent the change on my rig!

If a bass doesn't do it enough for you, then you'll continue looking,

I don't think you can put a figure on THE special bass, but £1k is a decent start.
I'd keep looking and when you find one good enough, then you'll know soon enough.

The problem comes iof you convince yourself it is good when it isn't.
It is good when you just have to have it... even if it wasn't planned and you just have to 'find' the money.

I never get people putting a figure on something they have never played. You might need to spend £3k and feel it is worth it or you might be dead lucky and find your needs satisfied
if you had only paid £500...I think both scenario's are possible but you only know when you KNOW.

I note in your sale/trade thread for the CS Jazz you were asking about warwick, thumbs and infinities too.... I get a sense you don't really know what you are looking for, so I wouldn't go custom route. My gut feeling is that you have basses you like. and they are probably good ones, maybe sell some and have fewer- and then play the things. Part of 'loving' an instrument is the history of it and you- where you have played it- the fact you learnt certain tunes on it and so on. I have a sneaky feeling that if I walked into your house and took 3 of your basses and £1000 from you, and your mate then called you up wanting you to play some cool music- after 6 months you would say you 'loved' that bass and it wouldn't go anywhere (or you would have really good ideas of what it was lacking and what you needed) - maybe because you have the choice you aren't settling?
Sell some maybe and stick with the best two.
Got an alright Hi-fi? if not buy one and some CDs with some of the money- listen to new music.

thats my 2p.
(helped me with my own deliberations too!)

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1333473123' post='1602290']
Yes, very well put by LukeFRC. Good advice, but if you still want to do this, I'd recommend a Fender Jaguar - a super jazz.
[/quote]
or keep the CS jazz and buy one of them sadowsky outboard preamps

I'd go for vintage Fender Jazz, year of birth if its before 1974. Nothing like a worn in Fender Jazz until something better comes along that is. I've got a Sandberg TT on order which I'm thinking will give my 1976 fender a run for its money. At least if you pick up a vintage guitar you can always sell without losing money.

I think you'd better face up to the fact that there will always be GAS, which is half the fun :rolleyes:

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1333467705' post='1602148']
[/quote]

I'm doing the very same thing. Down to two now and as I've been saving up for a bit my budget is a little higher so I'm going to get and ACG bass just fo me. The timing of the last sale will be critical!

I would suggest selling what you have, getting a cheap squier Jazz then going to look for "the one". I only ever have 1 bass at a time, all I know is I want a modern style P bass. I just sold my 57' and now I'm on the look for my one and only. Read up specific specs on Jazz bass' to find which model you want the most then go look for that one. Of course this is only what I would do in your shoes! :)

Take your time, go to shops and try loads of basses and try to find out what kind of bass you want first, because it sounds like you know you want a bass without knowing which bass. Time is on your side here and you have a healthy budget. Once you whittle it down to a model or two, then try playing loads of that type and find the bass you want. Personally, I don't think I could ever go back to one because I enjoy playing with the variety of different sounds, feels, etc and I don't see any virtue in purposely restricting my options to one in the same way I wouldn't want to eat my favourite food every day either. If you like a bass or two you already have, keep it I say. What have you got to lose by having more than one instrument?

I think we are on the same boat. And as the other posters said, I assume jazz is your preference?

I'm currently looking at Bacchus and Atelier... Tried Atelier long time ago when I just started playing and as far as I can remember that bass felt right... It's just that I cant justify owning an expensive bass like that when I was just starting.

And yes. Lakland, Sadowsky and Overwater... Worth a look.

I realise a lot of folk are recommending some form of 'uber' Jazz but to my mind you've had some very good basses of that ilk and they aren't doing it for you; I'd look outside of the Fender (clone) camp!

I'm NOT going to suggest alternatives as it may seem like I am biased and pushing you away from Fenders but tbh you could essentially get your enigmatic bass by spending even less than £1000 never mind x3 (expensive) basses + £1000!

Good luck.

I'd be looking at finding a nice Celinder if I were you - if my house burnt down today and I had to replace my collection with one four string that's what I'd go for. Dingwall for a 5 string though...

Hi Guys thanks for the replies, some food for thought amongst the posts, i have no great preference for Jazz basses in my new search. The other "problem" at the moment is now is not a good time to sell a bass and get a good price, and very few people are trading down. I have been looking at Overwater recently so there is a possible option and i could potentially get it with my prefered options etc. Anyway the search continues. Cheers Paul.

The thing is when find the 'one' is that you may potentially be looking a long time, you have to try a lot of flack before you find one that feels special to you.

I have two that I feel a special, one is very very special to me and it's upsetting that it has to have a new neck, which will potentially change it forever...............

edit: by very special, I mean I wouldn't resell it for the current going rate ;)

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1333530941' post='1602838']
Hi Guys thanks for the replies, some food for thought amongst the posts, i have no great preference for Jazz basses in my new search. The other "problem" at the moment is now is not a good time to sell a bass and get a good price, and very few people are trading down. I have been looking at Overwater recently so there is a possible option and i could potentially get it with my prefered options etc. Anyway the search continues. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]

if you are looking at overwater look secondhand first ;) some bargins out there recently