Why become a member? ×

Power ball

Deep Thought

I just picked up one of these off Amazon:-

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_55510065_1?ie=UTF8&node=397989011&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=special-product-offers-1&pf_rd_r=0XXW1JEEYB97WMS6P1YD&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=175165791&pf_rd_i=B000MLPGZG"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_555...rd_i=B000MLPGZG[/url]

A chap brought one along to a party on New Years Eve, and me and my mates spent all evening trying to get over 10,000 revs. It's basically a hand-held gyroscope. It's pretty addictive and is damn good exercise for your hands, fingers and forearm muscles. It's reckoned to be good for musicians. Our drummer is dying to get one after trying mine-he 's just got the go-ahead to go back to drumming after coming off his motorbike in January and seriously knackering his left forearm, and I told him to get one as it would be great exercise for his forearm tendons-now he's tried it he agrees. Anyone else got one? Have you found it good for your playing?

Great tool to use for combating RSI! Was recommended this and a few other options after a few sports injuries from years of racket sports. Did wonders, been using it for near enough 3 years now, average 14,000 on my right arm, 13,000 on my left. :) As a result I find I don't have to wear wrist supports when it comes to playing sports that put a lot of strain on the wrists (cricket, squash, tommy tank :huh: etc.)

I'd be interested to hear how you get on and if you think it is of any real use or just another fad.

I saw them a few weeks back when one of the girls at work bought a couple & they were delivered to the office. I had a bit of a search around & read up on them but didn't bother in the end.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='174071' date='Apr 10 2008, 06:27 PM']I just picked up one of these off Amazon:-

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_55510065_1?ie=UTF8&node=397989011&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=special-product-offers-1&pf_rd_r=0XXW1JEEYB97WMS6P1YD&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=175165791&pf_rd_i=B000MLPGZG"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_555...rd_i=B000MLPGZG[/url]

A chap brought one along to a party on New Years Eve, and me and my mates spent all evening trying to get over 10,000 revs. It's basically a hand-held gyroscope. It's pretty addictive and is damn good exercise for your hands, fingers and forearm muscles. It's reckoned to be good for musicians. Our drummer is dying to get one after trying mine-he 's just got the go-ahead to go back to drumming after coming off his motorbike in January and seriously knackering his left forearm, and I told him to get one as it would be great exercise for his forearm tendons-now he's tried it he agrees. Anyone else got one? Have you found it good for your playing?[/quote]
Last year I had RSI in my right wrist (from using a computer mouse). The pain was constant and quite severe which made bass playing very difficult. I got myself a Powerball, used it daily and after about a week the pain had almost gone. After a couple of weeks it had gone completely. I can't recommend Powerballs highly enough.

My highest RPM is 9404. Anyone beat that?

Oh I'm not doing too badly then, my record so far is 11,242. Still to crack 10,000 with the left hand though. I've seen the bloke on YouTube doing 20,000+. I think I'm a long way off that. Now folks mention it, I've never had much trouble with wrist strength in the right hand-can't think why. Still the Powerball is helping with the left. :)

There seem to be about a million different sub types - techno, pro, turbo, 250hz etc etc etc. Are they all basically the same?

My wrists take a lot of damage (computer job, hobbies are writing (more computer) bass guitar and drums, masturbation &c &c) so if these things help then I'm dead interested...

I've just ordered mine, a red neon pro. Basically, cantdosleepy, I think the techno is just a dressed up normal one but the pro, and those above them, have the rev-counters. I think most of them are 250hz but there are some high-end metal ones and stuff lol.

Edited by Bullet-Rule

• 2 months later...

Bought one from Amazon last week after finding this thread.
It's just a basic one ... then found one in the charity shop so my kid can play with that one as it has lghts ... no rev counters though ...

Not sure what it's doing but diferent bits of my arms now ache :)

So how do they work? and how do you start them without the string thing

You start them without the string by flicking them with your thumb... (NOTE: this takes a bit of practice. :)) NEVER roll them on the carpet or your jeans etc. they gather dust and cease this way.

My dads got one, dunno what model but it has a rev counter...

EDIT: [url="http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=75651"]This explains[/url] how they work...

Edited by allighatt0r